Search Bread + Butter

Monday, August 10, 2009

Eggplant Patties


Before I start, I'm proud to announce that Bread + Butter now has a fan page on Facebook. So if you've got a facebook account, please don't be shy and become a fan. You can go to the page here or click on the Facebook icon button on the sidebar to the right after the About Me section.

Now, I guess I got you intrigued as what this dish was yesterday. I had gotten a some pretty good guesses, but none came close. Well...here it is. Eggplant patties!! I wanted to try a new way to eating them. I figured I can make some kind of veggie ball with them. Or I can go the usual route of pan-frying or roasting, but you've all seen that already. Then I thought of making them into patties of some kind. Yes, that's what I'll do. Veggie patties. Mashed them after a brief boil in some water, mixed in chopped onions, herbs, panko crumbs and an egg as a binder. The latter is optional for those who don't want egg in them. Made 4 sizable patties.

I grilled these patties babies on the George Foreman grill. It's the big old one before all the new grades they put into them. The one that's a pain the butt to clean sometimes. Here's a trick to get all that crud off. As soon as you take all the items off the grill and unplug it, run a damp paper towel up and down the grill. It removes the stuff instantly. It has to be hot still.

Anyway, you can bake these also, if you don't have a grill. I realized I didn't have any buns. Hmph! I guess I'll live without bread for one day. Eh, buns...we don't need no stinkin' buns! I ate them just the way they are. But I thought it wouldn't be complete without a creamy sauce. I mixed together a simple tomato sauce and mascarpone combination with a dash of dry herbs that I simmered for a bit to combine them then let it cool. Really good. A great match with the eggplant. The sauce can be used as a dip, too.

I served this with some zucchini sticks.

Makes 4 patties.



Eggplant Patties

1 medium eggplant - peeled and cubed
1 1/2 c panko crumbs
1/2 small onion - diced
1 garlic clove - minced
1 Tbsp dry parsley
1 Tbsp dry oregano
1 egg - beaten (optional)
salt
pepper

Tomato-Mascarpone Sauce
8oz can tomato sauce
2-3 tbsp mascarpone cheese
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme


For the sauce:
Combine all ingredients together in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally. Cook for about 5 min, then transfer to a bowl.

For the patties:
Put the eggplant in boiling water for 5 min until tender. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and into a large bowl.

Mash the eggplant. Season with a little salt and pepper. Add in the onion, garlic, parsley, oregano, egg and panko. Mix well.

Divide into 4 patties.

To grill: depending on heat, grill patties for roughly 5 min per side
To bake: In a preheated 350˚F oven, bake the patties for 15-20 min on a lightly greased baking sheet. Flip the patties half way to give an even browning.

43 comments:

Parita said...

Oh those were eggplant pattice? hmm thats really innovative jenn, love the sauce!

Unknown said...

How wonderful. I love anything eggplant. I would love one of these patties on a toasted bagel with tomato. YUM!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

What a great idea! They look and sound delicious! I can imagine them on top of a salad... :)

Vrinda said...

Those r lovely patties with eggplant..

Anonymous said...

Very interesting way to make eggplant patties!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

I have not yet joined the ranks of the Facebook fan pages. I do have a personal FB account, but use it mostly for family/friends and personal stuff. Maybe I will eventually join the food bloggers on FB, too.

The eggplant patties sound delicious... I especially like the tomato mascarpone sauce!

Creative Classroom Core said...

I really love the sound of these - such a healthy twist on the regular burger. So yummy and clever!

Heather S-G said...

mmmm...delicious! Wrap it in a grilled pita and call me happy!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

These look really delicious. I have a love hate relationship with eggplant, but this looks like it would make me fall in love all over again:) I added you as a fan on Facebook. Make sure to fan Nutmeg Nanny too:)

Soma said...

Sounds really good. i esp like what you did with the sauce! Very creative. Love mascarpone.

Liked your string bean recipe very much.

Joie de vivre said...

Jenn,
Thanks for visiting! You are so cute with your fan page! I'll "fan" you today! :)

Pam said...

I really need to give eggplant a second chance (bad experience when I was a kid). These patties look great, so does the sauce.

Anonymous said...

The eggplant patties sound delicious especially with the tomato-mascarpone sauce! Yummy!

Jenn said...

Parita: Thanks.

HH: Mmm...a bagel sounds nice right about now.

Andrea: Salad, yes!

Vrinda, hummingbird: Thanks.

Jen: I have a personal account too. I figured I'd use my time wisely on it rather than playing all the games. LOL.

Finsmom: ;-)

girlichef: Yes on a pita!

Nutmeg: will do!

Soma, 5 Star: Thanks.

Joie: Woohoo!!

Pam: I hope you do give them a second chance. They're not that bad.

zerrin said...

I thought it was chicken yesterday. But eggplant patties sound better with your special sauce as I adore eggplant. I can have these even at breakfast.

nora@ffr said...

those pictures are stunning jenn!! these patties sound delish.. especially with eggplant. never tried it b4 but will giv a shot soon!!
cheers!!

Sarah Alaoui said...

eggplant=my favorite veggie, and these look beautiful.

Jenn said...

Zerrin: Sounds good breakfast.

Nora, Sarah: thanks.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Eggplant in patties-wow,must taste great!! Jenn-love your creativity :)

Diana said...

Buns are totally overrated. I'd eat these eggplant patties all by their lonesome any day! I bet they'd be awesome over couscous!

Danielle said...

This looks sooooo delicious! I want to eat this riiight now!

Anonymous said...

Oh I would never have guessed, but why the heck did I not when I made something similar on my last post? Haha!
And I'm a FAN! :D

Pooja said...

Oh wow eggplant patties looks so delectable! Awesome sauce!

chow and chatter said...

yum will become a fan lol

Bob said...

Interesting. I have a sister who is nutty about eggplant, I'll have to send her a link.

Jenn said...

Sweta: It does!

Diana: Mmm...cous cous...yes!!

Danielle; ;-)

burpandslurp: lol.

Pooja: Thanks.

Chow and Chatter: Woohoo!!

Bob: Cool. She'll love this.

Sarah Alaoui said...

Jenn:

I just made these for my family for dinner (I baked them), and EVERYONE LOVED THEM. I'm going to start making them in college, so easy, healthy and DELICIOUS. I'm going to link to your recipe on my new post...thanks : ) (keep them coming, girl!)

Heather S-G said...

ps...I have an award for you over at my place!

Jenn said...

Sarah: Awesome!!! I'm glad you like them.

Girlichef: Thanks a bunch!!!!

Phyllis said...

Haha...thanks for posting that tip on how to clean the original George Foreman grill. Maybe mine will come out of retirement now :)
I'm printing out this recipe to make - I love anything with eggplant and this is so creative! And I had zucchini sticks on Friday at an Italian restaurant - deep fried/greasy, nothing like your healthy version!

tavolini said...

That looks GREAT, Jenn. I love how you just throw together the tomato mascarpone sauce--that also sounds really, really good.

lisaiscooking said...

This sounds like a great way to enjoy eggplant, and the that sauce sounds fantastic!

Jenn said...

Phyllis: Your welcome. It makes it easier to deal with if it's still hot.

TavoLini, Lisa: Thanks. ;-)

Reeni said...

What a clever use of eggplant. I would of never thought to do that. They look real yummy with the sauce!

Anonymous said...

This seems really a good idea, I'm craving for aubergine patties!

Jenn said...

Reeni: Thanks.

Vegetarianzoe: Nice!

OysterCulture said...

oh my goodness, I love eggplant and this dish looks spectacular!

Jenn said...

Oyster: Thanks.

pigpigscorner said...

Eggplants! I would never have thought of that! yummy!

Jenn said...

pigpigscorner: ;-)

loca said...

I made this and it was absolutely delicious. The sauce was so flavorful too!

Jenn said...

Loca: I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Unknown said...

WOW (impressed look). Your eggplant dish looks so yummy.

Here I bought a sauce pack for Sauce for Spicy Eggplant so as to skip all the seasonings! and i will try this friday after work.
http://yummiexpress.freetzi.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger