Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sesame Crusted Seared Tuna Sammies



I had gotten some fresh albacore tuna steaks from the farmer's market over the weekend. As I mentioned before, Sunday's I usually try to make some "elegant" or "eleborate." At least, I try to. These were sushi grade tuna, so I was freakin' excited to cook up some seared tuna sammies at home. It's been a LONG while since last made this. I usually use a nice ahi, but albacore is good, too. This was one of the dishes where I knew I loved food more than I should.

I have made two kinds of tuna sandwiches before and here's one. The package I got had two sizable cuts. I only used one of the cuts for the sanwiches. The other half I turned into sashimi. Mmmmm... I tried to cut them neatly and precise as possible, but I ended up cutting them into different scraggly pieces. It still tasted fantastic though. I wish I had some wasabi and pickled ginger to go along with it.




Back to the sammies. I cut the tuna into 2-inch thick bricks. Did a quick dip in some soy sauce to sort of marinate them and seasoned all sides with salt and pepper. Then fully coated them in sesame seeds. Seared them in some really hot oil for about 30 sec. Fresh fish will cook pretty quick, so they don't take long to cook.

I made a ginger mayo spread to go along with this as well as using some coleslaw as the "leafy greens" part. You can use lettuce, if you'd like. Placed then in a sandwich roll and dug in. The sandwich was really good. I can't remember the last time I had seared tuna, but I'm glad I made the choice to get it.



Makes 3-4 sammies




Sesame Crusted Seared Tuna Sammie

1 fresh tuna steak (sushi grade albacore or ahi)
sesame seeds
salt
pepper
soy sauce

Ginger Mayo:
1 tbsp fresh minced or grated ginger
1/2 c mayo
2 tsp lemon juice

coleslaw or pieces of lettuce
bread rolls


In a skillet, heat some olive oil and saute the ginger for 30 sec. Remove from the pan and into a bowl. Add the mayo and lemon juice and mix to combine. Set aside.

Cut the tuna into 2 inch thick blocks. Lightly marinate the pieces in some soy sauce for 10-15, then season all sides with a little salt and pepper. Finally, coat with the sesame seeds.

Heat some more extra virgin olive oil in the same skillet you sautéed the ginger. When the oil is hot enough, place the tuna in the pan and sear all sides for about 20-30 sec each. The inside should still be pink and slightly raw.

Remove from the heat and cut into 1/2 slices.


To assemble the sandwich:

You may toast the bread rolls, if you'd like.

Spit the rolls in half lengthwise. Spread some of the ginger mayo on both sides of the bread. Place some coleslaw or lettuce on the bottom, then finally some of the seared tuna slices. Top with the other half of the bread.


37 comments:

Jamie said...

Great great recipe, Jenn! How I love tuna and yours is perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked and the sesame seed crust plus that great mayo makes for a fab meal! Yum!

Christo Gonzales said...

oh shit .....is that a comment? If not then let me change it to 'oh damn' because 'frickin oh my god' seems like cussing.

Anonymous said...

hmm love it, cooked to perfection!

Unknown said...

Great idea, that sandwich looks gorgeous!

♥peachkins♥ said...

This is a really great recipe..Those sesame crusted tuna looks pretty..

petite nyonya said...

I'm not one for anything raw-ish but I must say that the way you've seared the tuna looks just beautiful!

tavolini said...

Wow, that looks awesome! Bread looks good, sashimi looks good, seared tuna looks insane!

I'm coming to a picnic at your house ;)

Pam said...

Now that's my kind of sammie! It look delicious.

Phyllis said...

Omigod Jenn, the sesame crusted tuna looks amazing. Definitely deserving of some 'oohs and aahs'! You make it look so easy :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I haven't made seared tuna in a looong time, but I really should make it again... Yours is cooked to perfection! What a beautiful picture...

Bob said...

Looks fantastic! I need to get my hands on some sushi grade tuna.

Heather S-G said...

ohemgeeeeee....that tuna is sooooo perfect...must have!

KennyT said...

Wow, the tuna looks perfectly seared! Yum!

Diana said...

I must admit, I am terrified of making my own sushi or seared tuna. This does look wonderful though. I'm very impressed!

The Duo Dishes said...

The mayo is excellent. You could spread that on almost anything that could use a little ginger.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Looks tasty! I am always nervous about making my own sashimi or seared tuna because it's hard to get good fresh tuna... One of the disadvantages to living in the middle of nowhere. Yours looks delish, though :)

angelia mcgowan said...

The presentation is very pretty. The fish looks too perfect for a sandwich!

Jenn said...

Jamie, HH, Peachkins: Thanks.

Doggy: I'll take "Oh shit" any day. LOL.

Ruth: ;-)

Petite: It's like sushi in many ways.

TavoLini: Come on over. ;-D

Pam, Andrea: Thanks.

Phyllis: It is pretty easy. If I can do it you surely can, too.

Bob: Yes, you should.

Girlichef: hehe...

Kenny: Thanks.

Diana: Thanks. Give it a try.

Duo: The mayo is really really good. I've used it on regular sandwiches before.

Jen: I'm sure there's a fish monger out there, who can get their hands on some fresh fish.

angelia: Thanks.

nora@ffr said...

tunaaa!!! yummmm!!!! love the combo jenn!

Miranda said...

mmmh....I love seared tuna. It is one of my all time favorite.

Great Sammy!

Creative Classroom Core said...

GORGEOUS!!! (as always :) )

OysterCulture said...

Looks amazing, tuna is one of my favorite fishes, what a great combo.

Diana H said...

I like the seared tuna. My husband wants everything cooked through, but it loses some of the flavor and texture. That looks perfect.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Oh yum,tuna!! Now if I could just get hubby to love tuna as much as I do,I could be making this everyday ;-)

Jenn said...

Nora, finsmom, oyster: Thanks.

Miranda: ;-)

Diana: There are certain fishes I like cooked through, but tuna ain't one of them.

Sweta: I'd eat this everyday, too.

Mary Bergfeld said...

That ginger mayo would make me a convert. These sandwiches look absolutely delicious and the tuna is cooked to perfection.

Sophia said...

ooh la la! Love the fresh tuna with the pink center!!! It kinda looks like banh mi, too...maybe a japanese-vietnamese-french fusion? tee hee!

Jenn said...

Mary: ;-)

Sophia: Possibly.

teresa said...

i just had a conversation with my mil today about how we love the taste and nuttiness of sesame seeds. i should introduce this to her, very tasty!

theUngourmet said...

Seared Tuna is just killer! My husband and I both LOVE it! I haven't had any in way too long!

Dewi said...

Gourmet sammies, sounds delicious Jenn!

Jenn said...

Teresa: you should. ;-)

Ungourmet: This is perfect for you and the hubby.

Elra: Thanks.

Unknown said...

Wow - that salmon looks amazing! I wish we could get sushi-grade around here... but I think we'd probably need to go out to the coast for that. Enjoy some for me!

Jenn said...

ValleyWriter: Will do. ;-D

Janice said...

Wow, this looks great, I love seared tuna and to put it in a sammie is even better with the slaw. Great recipe.

Jenn said...

Janice: Thanks.

www.huesca-3d.com said...

It will not really have effect, I feel like this.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger