Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Bok Choy Orzo Soup



Another soup? I know, but I can't help it. The weather just seems so right for it. Whenever it's cold out, my mind automatically heads for the soup section. You can't deny the power of a bowl of warm, hearty deliciousness. Hand me a bowl along with some bread or crackers and I'm a happy camper. Really.

I kept this one vegetarian. I do like to go veg several days out of the week. Helps balance things out. The main stars are the baby bok choy and orzo. Its supporting players are tomatoes, onion, dry herbs and vegetable stock. With a cameo made by the one and only nutmeg. Put it all together and you've got yourself one heck of a show.

Serve 3-4




Bok Choy Orzo Soup

5-6 baby bok choy
3 garlic cloves
1 small sweet onion
2 medium tomatoes - deseeded &  chopped
1 Tbsp fresh thyme - removed from stems & roughly chopped
1/4 c fresh basil - roughly chopped
1Tbsp paprika
1/2 Tbsp ground nutmeg
2 cans vegetable stock
1 c uncooked orzo
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt & papper to taste

In a stock pot, heat the oil and saute the garlic for 30 seconds. Then add the onions and saute until tender. Add the tomatoes, basil and thyme. Saute for another 1-2 minutes. Next add the paprika and nutmeg.

Add the bok choy and stock. Bring to a boil. Once boiling let the soup simmer for 20-30 minutes.

15 minutes before serving add the orzo.


25 comments:

sarımsak hapı zayıflama said...

We all eat vitamins and store garlic are used in his great taste and flavor is also good natural antibiotics even swine flu.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I can never get enough soup either when it's cold outside! Love this soup!

Unknown said...

As I look out the window to 6 inches of snow, soup does sound really good. And this one looks delicious!

chow and chatter said...

this soup rocks love bok choy

Kelly @ EvilShenanigans said...

I love orzo, and I love bok choy! Perfect!

Debbie said...

I'm a huge fan of orzo...love it! The nutmeg sounds like a very interesting ingredient in soup!!!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I love me some orzo! I swear you make some of the best soups. This makes me crave a big bowl of warm soup. Especially since it's freezing rain today :(

pigpigscorner said...

I'm always craving for soups nowadays too! This look great, simple and healthy!

Bob said...

Looks delicious! We're having sleet/snow right now, I could go for some of that.

theUngourmet said...

I was totally craving soup for lunch today but I was fresh out and not time to whip any up! This looks wonderful!

teresa said...

i like the idea of veggin out every few days. if my family weren't such carnivores, i would do the same thing! yummy soup!

lisa is cooking said...

This sounds great with the orzo! I make a soup with bok choy and rice noodles, but I like the idea of smaller pasta with it.

Thistlemoon said...

Keep on keeping on with the soups! I love them so much! This one looks so hearty and warming.

Pam said...

It's so cold here today - this soup would be so nice for dinner tonight.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely soup. It's perfect for the weather that we are having here.

Lauren said...

oooh, this looks so comforting! I love using orzo in soup instead of rice - it has such a great texture.

BIanca @southbay rants n raves said...

Agreed, it's soup weather after all!

Anonymous said...

Mm...that sounds so comfy. I love bok choy like crazy. And in a soup...it just sounds perfect for this shitty weather!

Anonymous said...

The weather is definitely perfect for soups and both bok choy orzo soup and the carrot ginger in your previous post look wonderful!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Your soup looks wonderful for the cold weather. I have actually never made anything with bok choy. I've eaten it in dishes at restaurants, but never cooked with it myself! I'll have to give it a try sometime.

tavolini said...

Nice! I love all these soups :)

I have a bunch of baby bok choy that I wasn't sure what to do with!

Lori Lynn said...

Looks very satisfying. I think I'll follow your lead and make a soup with orzo this week.
LL

Diana H said...

I don't have bok choy, do you think chard is too far away? Every time I make something vegetarian my kids ask if I intentionally left out the meat.

sasha said...

Tried this and loved it! The bok choy really makes the dish. You misspelled thyme as "time" in the first paragraph of the recipe portion of the post.

yatesspain.blogspot.com said...

To my mind every person have to read it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger