Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Green Bean Tempura with Oyster Dipping Sauce



Veggie tempura is good. I had some green beans in the fridge. I rarely do some full on frying. But once in a while I'll make an exception. I have some battle scars to prove it. Hot oil splattering plus my hand equals a not so enjoyable time. But I wanted my tempura.

The batter is fairly simple. I've made a medley of veggie tempura before several months ago (here). It's best to serve tempura immediately or the crust will end up becoming slightly soft. It's still very taste.

I also made some cherry/grape tomato tempura. They were interesting. I was intrigued as to what might happened it I batter-fried a tomato. Well as it turns out the shape remained intact. I loved how when you bite into them they seems to almost in stands breakdown in your mouth. It was really really good. Just be sure not to bite them or they'll squirt out all the juices. I know first hand.

To serve with this I whipped up a quick oyster dipping sauce to go with this. I made this by simmering the mixture in a sauce pan, but you can also microwave it as well. You'd want it warn and the sugar to dissolve.

Serves 2-3




Green Bean Tempura with Oyster Dipping Sauce

1 lb green beans - cleaned with ends removed
 Canola oil
oyster dipping sauce (recipe below)

batter
1 c all purpose four
1 c COLD water
1 egg white - beaten

Combine the batter ingredients

Pour some oil into a deep skillet roughly about 2-3 inches deep. To test if the oil is heated enough, pour a drop of batter and see if it cooks up right away.

Then dip the green beans into the batter and fry them. Roughly 1-2 minutes.

Serve immediately




Oyster Dipping Sauce

1/4 c water
3-4 Tbsp soy sauce
juice of half lemon
1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp oyster sauce

Place all the ingredients into a small sauce pan. Heat the mixture together until the sugar has dissolved.

Note: May be heated in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.

Serve with tempura.


15 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love tempura but have never made it at home! Great recipe!

Unknown said...

Ive only ever had the indian version of tempura, called pakora. My mother in law makes them. They are so yummy. I know yours are yummy too. I dont know one thing that doesnt taste better after its battered and fried :)

chow and chatter said...

yum bet it had a nice crunch

Phyllis said...

Tempura is the only reason I ever deep-fry as well. And I usually end up making enough for 10 people! I'm addicted to tempura green beans, and yours look fabulous, you got that crispy lacey batter thing going on. And deep frying grape tomatoes!!! Omigosh you are so brave, with all the liquid inside I would think they're like mini-grenades! I also love how simple your dipping sauce is, oyster sauce makes everything yummy :)

Nutmeg Nanny said...

These look yummy! I know I'm a huge fan of the green bean fries from TJI Fridays and this sorta reminds me of them. I should give them a whirl!

Dewi said...

Oh Jenn, how did it take you to fry those delicate greenbean. I am so tempted Jenn, I really like tempura, but never really had any luck with success of making it.

Anyway,
I also want to wish you and your love one a very happy holiday!

Kelly @ Evil Shenanigans said...

Oh heavens, does that ever look good! Yum! Green beans are a personal fav. of mine!

pigpigscorner said...

Anything deep fried is good! nom nom nom!

vanillasugarblog said...

yes! I love these! nicely done girl!

Thistlemoon said...

Looks great! I have never made tempura at home - but I should try it!

Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love green bean tempura. They're like french fries only just as good.

Reeni said...

I love tempura! Especially green beans. The sauce sounds yummy!

Ameena said...

Hi there...just found your blog. I am in Los Angeles work in entertainment too.

Your tempura looks great, thanks for the recipe!

theUngourmet said...

I still have a bacon grease scar from the early 90's!

I love your veggies done this way and the sauce is just awesome! ;D

OysterCulture said...

What a brilliant idea, if there is one food I could eat continually its tempura. I love the green beans and the tomatoes sound delicious but I wonder if they're safe to eat in polite company - I'd be squirting my neighbor to be sure. I'd make them to eat in the privacy of my own kitchen though any time.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger