Search Bread + Butter

Friday, December 18, 2009

Cream of Spinach Soup



Soup is what's for dinner. Or in this case...lunch. I'm trying not to eat a lot these next several days as with Christmas it will be another day of celebration and feasting. A simple soup, yet so delicious.

Aside from the tradition cream soup, I added a pinch of nutmeg as well as some fresh chopped carrots and canned green beans. I didn't want it to just be all liquid. Some chunks here and there are pretty tasty. A bowl is filling and just right.

Have it with a piece of baguettes and I'm good to go. Look at those little pieces of carrot peeking out. Doesn't it just beg for you to dig in?

Serves 4




Cream of Spinach Soup

2 bundles fresh spinach.
2 can vegetable stock
1/2 medium sweet onion sliced
1 garlic clove - fine chopped
2 large carrot sticks - peeled and chopped
1 12 can string beans
1 5 oz can evaporated milk
1 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

In a stock pot, saute the garlic for 30 in some oil. Then add and saute the onions until translucent. Add the stock and bring to a boil on medium to high heat. Add the spinach and lower the flame to medium low and bring to a simmer until the spinach has wilted. Lower the heat and pour in the evaporated milk.

Then puree the spinach mixture in the blender, food processor, or with an hand blender. Then add the carrots, green bean and nutmeg. Let the soup simmer again until the carrots are slightly tender. Medium to low heat.


19 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

You are so right,, this is perfect for the holiday season before the actual holiday. Sounds delicious!

Parita said...

Delicious and healthy, using evaporated milk is new to me, sounds very interesting!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Cream of spinach is one of my favorite sides ever! In soup form I might be in heaven :)

Debbie said...

Absolutely perfect for right now and look delicious!

teresa said...

delicious, and a great way to keep things light before the holidays!

Bob said...

You know, it does just beg for me to dig in. Where's mine?! :D

And hey, you won the cookbook! Shoot me your mailing address and I'll have them get it out to you.

Lana said...

All I'd need is that bowl of soup and a spoon and I'd be a happy, happy girl. Yum!

Liz Marr, MS, RD said...

This sounds delicious. I love spinach. The cloves and nutmeg are unexpected! Nice touch.

chow and chatter said...

great and healthy soup yummy

wendy@thelocalcook.com said...

I wonder if it would also work with swiss chard or kale?

lisa is cooking said...

Sounds fresh and delicious, and the evaporated milk keeps it light. Love it!

Crystal said...

I can't get enough of spinach so this is a YES! I add ginger to mine - gives a slight bite.

♥peachkins♥ said...

yummy lunch! it looks really creamy

Catherine said...

Cream of Spinach Soup is one of my favorite dishes- I will be trying you recipe very soon!

Pam said...

I've never had spinach soup before - I love the color.

Diana said...

Hah - yes I do want to dive right in! I was trying to eat light... and then I went and got myself an eggnog Sprinkles cupcake today!

oops! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! I love your addition of nutmeg and the texture looks perfectly smooth and creamy!

theUngourmet said...

I am a lover of all things soup. This looks wonderful! My husband would probably kill me if I served him this so I will have to make my own little batch and enjoy it all by myself. That's just fine by me! :D

Reeni said...

This looks yummy! Light and creamy and comforting!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger