Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Steamed Buns




In my first ever attempt in making steamed buns, I think I did pretty good. I love steamed buns. The Philippines has their own version call Siopao. It has a meat filling. I wanted to make them like little half moon shaped pieces. The recipe I used I had adapted by pan de sal recipe. I had searched on the interweb and many of them are similar to making regular baked bread, but instead they are steamed. I sandwiched mine with some honey-baked ham that I had gotten from the Honey Baked Ham shop and some cheese from the Queso de Bola.

The Queso de Bola for your viewing pleasure!

 

That thing is larger 1/3 larger than a softball. Maybe even more. Cheesy goodness. I think it originate from the Netherlands with the variety of cheese called edam, which it was named for from a town in Holland. Tastes very much like cheddar. Anyway, I've got some ideas on what I can stuff with steamed buns. What i can use as stuffing for them dumpling sized. I tried one with chocolate.  I wrapped a piece of Hershey's Symphony with toffee and almond into a ball and steamed it. Sooooooo good. I was just testing that first one. But I'll definitely be making more steamed buns in the near future so stay tuned for that. 




Steamed Buns

4 c All-Purpose Flour or bread flour
1 package of active dry yeast
6 Tbsp olive oil (plus extra for dusting and rolling)
2 c lukewarm water (120˚F-130˚F)
6 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp baking powder

Combine the yeast and water in a small bowl. Add a teaspoon of sugar and stir once. Let it sit for 5 min.

Combine the flour, remaining sugar, olive oil and salt in a large bowl and add the yeast. Mix it all together until it form into a dough blob.

Remove from the bowl and on a well-floured flat surface, knead the dough for a good 8 min until it feels elastic.

Lightly oil another bowl, place the dough in it and cover with plastic wrap and a towel and place away from light. Roughly 1 1/2 to 2 hrs or until the dough doubles in size.

Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil or spray and sprinkle some breadcrumbs over them.

When the dough has doubled, punch down the dough to let the gases out and knead it again for a couple of minutes

Cut into 4 oz or 2 oz sized balls. (10 or 20)

Once all the dough balls are on the baking sheet, cover them again with plastic wrap and let it rest for about 1 hour or until double in size again.

Prepare your steamer.

Steam ball for 10 - 15 mins. Let it cool before serving

For make the folded steamed buns: roll out rough into the desired width and lightly floured. using a chop 1/8-inch stick make an indent and fold. Place the dough onto pieces of wax paper.


12 comments:

Hari Chandana P said...

Yummyyy.. :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE STEAMED BUNS!!!!! THEY LOOK GREAT!!! DESERVES THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON!!!

Eric

Bob said...

I don't think I've ever had unfilled steamed buns. There's some possibilities there, I'll have to try it. Looks great!

Catherine said...

This looks delicious!

chow and chatter said...

great job yummy

theUngourmet said...

How fun! I'd like to try these! Love what you loaded up your buns with too!

Donna-FFW said...

Looks like you did a most fantastic job. I bet they were just wonderful.

tavolini said...

that is neat! I've never tried steaming, though I've eaten quite a few ;) Sounds like quite a bit of dough--I'm excited to see what other combinations you come up with--hershey's symphony is a DELICIOUS idea I would have never thought of.

sophia said...

you're AMAZING!!! That looks sosoososososooooo goood! I LOVE STEMAED BUNS!!! And Cheese?!! Adfjskjf!!! @__o

Mimi said...

I've never made steamed buns before, but I've got to try this, they look fantastic.
Happy New Year
Mimi

OysterCulture said...

Sounds amazingly yummy - and if it has cheese I am there to sample. Not sure I've had steamed buns like you described but now, thanks to you, I have no excuse.

www.toledo-3d.com said...

Gosh, there is really much worthwhile data here!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger