Search Bread + Butter

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Cucumber Salad



Today is just a little simple easy salad. Perfect as a side dish or an appetizer. I had bought some Persian cucumbers from the farmer's market. I had almost forgotten that I had them, too. Eek!!

Anyway, this salad is perfect for those who don't want to eat those leafy greens. Just the word "salad" brings fear into people's eyes. Add the word "cucumber" and maybe it will ease their minds a bit.  It's not as bad as some of you may think. Salads are good and healthy. I like to eat at least 2-3 times a week depending on the menu I have planned.  Besides, salads don't always have to be made from lettuce.

I scooped out the seeds from the cucumbers and sliced them into half moons. I let it marinate in a dill vinaigrette for 5-10 minutes to let the flavors soak into the cucumber. This is one salad that can be made in advance.

Serves 2



Cucumber Salad

5 small persian cucumbers or 2 long cucumbers

Dill Vinaigrette
3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
salt


In a bowl, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, olive oil, sugar and dill. Season with a pinch of salt.

Take the cucumbers and cut them in half length wise. Quarter them, if needed.  Scoop out the seeds and discard. Slice the halves into 1/8-inch half moon slices.

Place in a large bowl and drizzle over the vinaigrette mixture. Let the salad stand for roughly 5-10 min to let the vinaigrette marinate the cucumber slices.

30 comments:

Faiza Ali said...

looks refreshing...

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

I love cucumbers! the vinegar and dill make this almost like pickles that aren't pickles. Sounds great!

Lana said...

Very refreshing little summer salad to enjoy in these last days of summer heat! Stay safe with the fires around you out there!!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love a simple cucumber salad with dill!

Heather S-G said...

Delicious! This is one of my favorite summertime salads...it's so cooling and light! :)

Hari Chandana P said...

Nice clicks!!

Palidor said...

Sometimes the simple dishes are the best. This looks very light and refreshing.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Cucumbers are our all time fave salad veggie-nice!Never tried Persian cucumbers-do they taste diff from the regular ones?

Mary Bergfeld said...

A lovely crisp salad for the dying days of summer. It sounds and looks refreshing.

Jenn said...

Faiza: It is.

LK: Yeah. It resembles a taste of pickles.

Lana: Thanks. Am trying to. The smoke is just making the air quality really bad right now.

Andrea: I do now, too.

Girlichef: I agree.

Hari, Palidor: Thanks.

Sweta: No. Not much difference in taste. They're just smaller in size.

Anonymous said...

i love cucumbers and this looks so yummy! now i just wish i had some cucumbers. i will have to get some at the store and try this. thanks for sharing.e

Bob said...

Nice, looks great. I could go for some right now, it's hot and sunny here.

Diana H said...

Cucumbers and Dill - one of the best combinations on earth. We have both in the garden right now. Once those cucumbers are large enough, it will be fantastic.

Jenn said...

Schmoopiesgurl: It's really good. I th9ink you'll like it.

Bob: Yeah. This is perfect on a hot summer day.

Diana: I agree

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

I love to use cucumbers in salad... I eat lettuce sometimes, but I can't say I'm a huge fan. Love the vinaigrette - sounds tasty!

Reeni said...

Looks delicious - love the dill!

theUngourmet said...

I just L.O.V.E. cucumber salad! I like to order it when I go for sushi! Nice recipe!

test it comm said...

This is a nice and simple way to enjoy the cucumbers. Dill and cucumbers is such a great combo!

teresa said...

this is such a fresh and delicious looking salad!

Phyllis said...

Sounds yummy! Pickled cucumber 'salads' are my favorite -the one I make is super simple, just sugar, white vinegar and seedless cucumbers. I could eat the whole batch just served over white rice!

Jenn said...

Jen: I love to have cucumbers in salads.

Reeni, Teresa: Thanks.

Ungourmet: It's so good. I prefer this to a lot of the lettuce type salads.

Kevin: They are!

Phyllis: Now I've got to try this over rice!!!!

Miranda said...

I love Cucumber salad. I have never deseeded the cucumber...Yum..

Jenn said...

Miranda: I desdeed mine because it will get pretty watery.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous. The cukes are sooo good right now, this looks perfect!

Esi said...

I have this weird obsession with cucumbers. I would gobble this in an instant!

Jenn said...

Esi: It's a good obesession to have. hehe...

Tangled Noodle said...

This would be great as a side with grilled salmon . . . mmmmm, you've sparked some dinner ideas! 8-)

Jenn said...

Tangled: Yes, perfect for grilled salmon.

Unknown said...

I love cucumber salad -so delicious and refreshing. And, as you note, it's a great alternative to leafy greens (which, by this point in the summer, I've about have enough of for a while!).

Jenn said...

ValleyWriter: LOL.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger