Search Bread + Butter

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa


Salsa number TWO! I remember Reeni from Cinnamon and Spice using these green guys for one of her recipes lately. I've seen them many times, but I never really had them. I've mentioned many times on this blog that I LOVE tomatoes, so why haven't I tried these? I finally had my chance to get a hold of them I when I walked into the farmer's market over the weekend. I go to one of the usual vendors I shop with and the first thing I see...voila! Tomatillos! Fresh and a whole bunch of them, too. I literally perked up with delight proclaiming, "They have tomatillos!!!!" Trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about. So I pick out 5 good ones.

pic from wikipedia

They have a kind of sticky residue on them once you peel the leaves off. Just gently wash it off with some water and it'll be fine. Since I didn't want to do the conventional way of roasting them. I placed them in the broiler for 5-10 min to soften them up. Gave them a quick turn half way to even out the roasting.

I put everything in the food processor and scooped away with some blue corn tortilla chips.

Again, I put the non-food processor version as well. For those who don't like cilantro, you can substitute it with parsley for a milder flavor.

Make around 3 cups.



Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

5 medium tomatillos
1-2 jalapeno peppers (removal of seeds is optional)
1-2 c fresh cilantro or parsley
4 green onion stalks
juice of one lime
salt to season


Preheat your broiler.

Remove the leave and genty wash the tomatillos with cold water to remove the sticky residue. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and roast for 5-10 min. Give them a turn halfway through.
Remove from the broiler and let them cool completely.

Finely chop the cilatro/parsley, jalapeno peppers and green onions. Place them in a large bowl.

When the tomatillos are cool enough. Quarter and finely chop them. As you place them in the bowl lightly mash them to release some of their juices.

Squeeze in the lime juice and season with a little salt. Mix thoroughly.

Place in the fridge, if not serving immediately.

Food Processor:
Place the cilantro/parsley, jalapeno peppers and green onions in the food processor and pulse chop until they are look fine. Place the mixture into a large bowl.

Place in the tomatillos and pulse chop until it looks of a mashed consistency. You still want some chunks. Remove and add to the bowl.

Squeeze in the lime and season with some salt. Mix Thoroughly.

28 comments:

OysterCulture said...

tomatillo salsa is one of my all time favorites, I love the taste and just can't get enough. it does drive me crazy when people describe tomatillos as unripe tomatoes though - they are so much more, anyway your recipe looks perfect on a nice summer day

Bob said...

I've still never tried tomatillos, I really need to. Looks great!

test it comm said...

Freshly made salsa verde is so good!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I have never used tomatillos either. I'll have to look for some... This looks great.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love salsa verde. This really does sound good.

Christo Gonzales said...

there is a salsa pandemic going on over here...nice!

zerrin said...

Never used or even seen tomatillos. Are they like unripe green tomatoes? This salsa looks so good with some chips.

Jenn said...

Oyster: Thanks.

Bob: You should. They're great.

Kevin: I agree.

Andrea: They're worth it.

Mary: Thanks.

doggy: LOL. Can't live without salsa.

Zerrin: These are different. They're still firm, but they're completely ripe adn ready to use.

lisaiscooking said...

Great job with the salsa verde! I love a spicy green salsa, and yours looks great!

Anonymous said...

I've never had tomatillos, or maybe I have eaten them in sauces at Mexican restaurants and I just never knew it. Anyway, I like the recipe. It must be delicious!

Reeni said...

Yay! I'm so glad you tried tomatillos! This salsa looks delicious. Thanks for the shout-out!

Anonymous said...

I've never tried tomatillos before (hides face in shame). This is such a brilliant green color!

Charles G Thompson said...

So simple yet so delicious as well as versatile. Thanks for the recipe.

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

I love tomtillos!!! tomatillo salsa is the best!

Jenn said...

Lisa: Thanks.

Hummingbird: They're really good. I wonder why I always passed them in the market.

burpandslurp: you can try them when you're here in LA. ;-)

Charles: Your welcome.

LK: ;-)

theUngourmet said...

I think the tomatillo is so interesting looking. I have never tried using it in a recipe. I sure would love to try making your salsa sometime soon.

Jenn said...

Ungourmet: ;-)

Donna-FFW said...

I am also on the lookout for these babies. I love what you did with them.

nora@ffr said...

ive never tried tomatillo salsa befor. shud giv a try soon.. excellent pics as usaul jenn!1 keep it up!
cheers!!

Phyllis said...

YUM!!! Tomatillos are amazing - love the bright citrus tangy flavor. I only started using them a few years ago and fell in love! My favorite way to use them is in Tyler Florence's chicken enchiladas (with roasted tomatillo chili salsa)

Heather S-G said...

I love tomatillos, for sure...we eat an overabundance here :/ But, they're so addicting...as would be this salsa, I can tell. I always add garlic to mine, otherwise pretty similar! Yummy :D

Jenn said...

Donna, nora: Thanks.

Phyllis: I gotta try those enchiladas!! Sounds good.

Girlichef: I need to add the garlic next time I make this.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Tomatillo salsa is one of my favorites... I haven't made it in a while. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Jenn said...

Jen: Your welcome! ;-D

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This looks great! I love the color difference between the dark blue chips and the bright green salsa...yum!

Jenn said...

Nutmeg: Thanks

Diana H said...

I am jealous, jealous, jealous. None of our tomatillos grew this year, so no green salsa. We love tomatillos - and usually they are so easy to grow. I always think they are more like a tart tomato, but a little more than that too.

Jenn said...

Diana: Hopefully they'll grow.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger