Search Bread + Butter

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Little J's Coleslaw


It wouldn't be summer without coleslaw. Am I right? Gotta balance things out a bit from all the grilled goodies I've had over the last month or so. Here's my version. It has a vague taste to the one you'd get from KFC. Another penny saver right here. No need to go out and buy coleslaw then I can make a HUGE batch just for around 5 bucks. Using fresh carrots and caggage from the farmer's market. I've already got the ingredients for the dressing. I'm sure most of you have them, too.

I let this sit for about a day in the fridge to let the dressing really marinate the cabbage. You don't want the cabbage taste when you bite into it. Two days would even be better.

I think I shall grill something now.




Little J's Coleslaw

4 carrots (shredded)
1 head cabbage (shredded)
2 small-medium red bell peppers (diced)

dressing:
4 1/2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
6 tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 c chopped sweet onion
1 c lite mayo
1/2 c sugar

In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots and bell pepper.

In a separate bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients together. Mix well until all the sugar has dissolved. Then it over the cabbage and toss well. You want to evenly coat everything.

Then seal the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for at least a day or two.

Toss again to redistribute the juices and dressing before serving.

29 comments:

Denise said...

This sounds like a great coleslaw, I love it with a BBQ...

Donna-FFW said...

This recipe sounds wonderful, coleslaw is a fav of mine. I enjoy it year round. I also make a KFC version, should post soon. Thanks for reminder.

Heather S-G said...

I love the red bell pepper in this...makes it so bright and inviting! Yum :D

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Sounds & looks wonderful. I have never added red peppers to coleslaw; I'll have to try it. Your recipes never disappoint... :)

Dewi said...

Refreshing, I love coleslaw.

Sippity Sup said...

Little Jay has some good salads! Slaw is perfect for summer...GREG

Christo Gonzales said...

another 'little j' recipe - cool - while I am not a big fan of coleslaw I do taste every one I see to eventually become a fan...this looks good...

Zeee said...

This is absolutely mouthwatering jen! yum!

Phyllis said...

Love KFC coleslaw! Your recipe's much prettier though :)

theUngourmet said...

Mmm! Your coleslaw looks so pretty and delicious! I wish I wasn't the only coleslaw lover in my house. I never get to eat any! Maybe I'll just make myself a single serving. :0)

Jenn said...

Denise: Thanks.

Donna: Cool. Can't wait to see your version. ;-)

Girlichef, Andrea : Thanks.

Elra: Me, too.

Greg: Yes, it is.

Doggy: You'll become a fan of this. ;-)

Zee: Thanks.

Phyllis: I love the KFC slaw too. I figured I'd try my own to save a little $$$. LOL.

Ungourmet: Go for it. Then you family will be jealous that you're having delicious coleslaw. hehehe...

Laura said...

oh this does look great!

Palidor said...

Ooh, I like the KFC version. Looks very tasty!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Yummy this looks great! It doesn't look to loaded with mayonnaise which is nice too.

Pooja said...

That is a delicious coleslaw!

Debbie said...

This not only looks perfect but is perfect as a side with fried chicken, just like KFC..or even as a side with a burger or crabcake. Great recipe!

Jenn said...

Laura, Palidor, Pooja: Thanks.

Nutmeg: No not at all. It's just the right amount.

Debbie: Burger...chicken...all the summer foods. ;-)

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love coleslaw! Looks really perfect,Jenn!!!

Anonymous said...

Man, just when I was craving some coleslaw....you and I have got an ESP thing going!

figtree said...

I only eat coleslaw if its homemade..this looks great!Figtreeapps

Reeni said...

This looks yummy! It always tastes better after it sits awhile.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

YUM! I love the bright colors in your cole slaw. I have a head of cabbage from the CSA this week... always happy to try a new cole slaw recipe.

Anonymous said...

Great coleslaw recipe! For some reason I have never made cole slaw, I need to fix that!

Jenn said...

peachkins: Thanks.

burpandslurp: hehe...we probably do.

figtree: you can eat this one them. ;-)

Reeni: Definitely! The key is to let it sit.

Jen: Nice. Enjoy!

5 Star: You should homemade is so good!!

Parita said...

Wow thats so simple to make! will try sometime at home :)

tavolini said...

I made coleslaw this weekend, too :) Definitely a summertime staple.

Jenn said...

Parita: You should it's really good.

TavoLini: Woohoo!!

lisaiscooking said...

Sounds great! I like the mayo and vinegar combo.

Jenn said...

lisa: Thanks.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger