Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Pan-Fried Ramen


One of my favorite Chinese dishes ever is the ever delicious pan-fried noodles. I don't care what is mixed into it, just as long as it has the crispy noodles, I'll be happy. That's my favorite part. Just the crunch when I bite into it. So good. Sure you've got your "mix ins" but really...who eats pan-fried noodles for the "mix-ins"? I'm one of those who likes to bite crunchy stuff, just like I prefer to eat the bottoms of a muffins and cupcakes first before the top. Save the good stuff for last. More on that later.

This is a pretty cheap filling meal, too. You can use thin egg noodles or angel hair pasta, too. I used 2 ramen packs. Those 50 cent noodles really do some in handy, don't they? I guess this can be considered boy choy noodle take 2. But cooked and simmered the bok choy in a teriyaki sauce. A simple blend of oyster sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and tomato ketchup. You can omit the oyster sauce if you don't have any or don't like the taste of it.

It's pretty easy to pan-fry the noodles. For years, I wondered...how did they do that? It's basically boiled noodles cooked in a pan until nice and crisp. Simple. I suggest boiling them until they are al dente then cooling with cold water before putting them in a hot pan. The noodles may stick to the pan at first, but just put a good drizzle of oil and a quick scrap and stir until is it looks like it's one big moveable piece then leave it alone for a minute or two until the noodles gets a bit brown on the surface. Do the same for the other side. Place it on the plate and scoop whatever filling you decide right at the center. Be sure to leave the edges untouched. Those are the prized parts. To me, at least.

Serves 2-3



Pan-Fried Ramen

2 ramen packets (minus seasoning)
4 medium bok choy
1/2 head Cabbage (optional)
1 chicken breast - cut into cubes (optional)
salt
pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

teriyaki sauce:
1 tbsp oyster sauce (optional)
3-4 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 garlic clove (minced)
1 Tbsp tomato ketchup

Combine the ingredients on the teriyaki sauce together and set aside in a bowl.

Season the chicken cubes with some salt and pepper. Cut the bok choy (and cabbage) to appropriate sizes.

Boil some water and cook the ramen noodles until al dente. Roughly 2-3 min. Be sure to season the water with a little salt and stir to keep them from sticking together. Then drain and cool them off with some running cold water. Mix in a drizzle of olive oil.

In a large skillet or wok, heat 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add in the noodles. Cook on both side for roughly 3-5 min or until the noodles start to brown and crisp up. Do a scrap and stir to avoid from sicking to the pan. Remove from the wok and onto a plate.

In the same skillet or wok, add around another 3 Tbsp of olive oil and cook the chicken for about 3-5 min. The chicken will release some of their juices then add in the teriyaki sauce mixture. Stir occasionally. Then add the bok choy (and cabbage). Again stir occasionally so that the sauce coast the vegetables as well. When the bok choy wilts it is ready.

Pour the stir-fry over the noodles serve immediately to preserve the crunchiness of the noodles.



43 comments:

Parita said...

Never tried pan fried noodles before, i love crispy noodles, def will try soon! looks a wonderful meal

Heather S-G said...

You and your ramen! You're so creative with it...this sounds delish...yes, those edges are beckoning me!

Unknown said...

I would love to eat this, it looks amazing.

Unknown said...

I've never heard of pan fried noodles before - but this looks great! And I love that it's an inexpensive meal to boot.

eatlivetravelwrite said...

Mmmm - been craving noodles since I got back from Laos last week!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love pan-fried noodles! This is going on my "make this" list!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

This looks tasty! I, too, am a pan fried noodles fan... love ordering noodles when I'm in a takeout mood. I have never successfully made them at home, though. I will be picking up a few packs of Ramen to give it a try! :)

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Mmm this looks great! I always do pan fried noodles when I make chicken parm, but it's more Italian style. I use angle hair pasta, olive oil and lots of basil. It's always turns out great. I will have to try this lovely little meal:) I like the Asian flare.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Mmm this looks great! I always do pan fried noodles when I make chicken parm, but it's more Italian style. I use angle hair pasta, olive oil and lots of basil. It's always turns out great. I will have to try this lovely little meal:) I like the Asian flare.

Anonymous said...

pan-fried ramen sound wonderful! Love baby bok choy and cabbage here!

Fearless Kitchen said...

This is a great thing to do with those cheap supermarket packets! It looks almost healthy with all the tasty vegetables.

Bob said...

I love pan fried noodles! There was a place down the street from me that used to do an awesome garlic pan fried noodles that was nothing but the crispy stuff. Good times.

Pam said...

I've never tried making pan fried noodles before but I know I would love it...what a comforting meal I could gobble up right now.

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea, and it's so easily adaptable to feed one. Perfect for lunch, or those nights when the hubz is out of town for work. At last, an alternative to all that fried rice that I make!

Justin said...

i understand what you mean about pan-fried noodles and almost not caring about what else is in the dish.

Dewi said...

Just had a late snack (just before midnight) ramen last night. Wish I saw this before then...

zerrin said...

I've never tried it, either. This one looks so crispy! And I agree with you on saving the good parts and eating the bottoms first.

Phyllis said...

This looks so GOOD! Love crispy pan fried noodles, even better made with ramen! You need to put out a book with your ramen recipes (yeah, I know there's already one out there but your recipes are so much better!)

Tangled Noodle said...

Pan-fried noodles are definitely a personal favorite - I love that point at which the sauce from the mix-in has just started to soften the noodles but they're not yet soggy. After that, the texture is like lo mein, a totally different dish! 8-)

What a great use of those ramen noodle packs although I like your idea of using angel hair pasta. I may have to try that!

Jenn said...

Parita: It's really cool and tastes awesome.

girlchef: hehehe...

HH: Thanks.

ValleyWriter: Yeah. A lot of Chinese restaurants will have some sort of Pan-Fried noodle creation.

eatlivetravelwrite: I think that means you need to make some.

Andrea: Cool

Jen: ;-)

Nutmeg: Ooo...I've got to try this with chicken parm.

5 Star: Thanks.

Fearless: It's pretty healthy as it is. The noodles are just like any other noodle. ;-)

Bob: I must definitely try that crispy noodles and garlic. Yum!!

Pam: I feel like making this for my lunch.

Haley: yeah> It's pretty easy to adjust based o how many people are going to eat.

Justin: LOL. It's all about the noodles.

Elra: Hehehe...I think you should have it for a late night snack tonight.

Zerrin: The tops of the muffin or cupcakes are just awesome

Phyllis: LOL. Thanks. Maybe one day I will.

Tangled Noodle: Just right when the sauce touches the noodles is so good.

Diana said...

I'm actually not the biggest fan of pan-fried noodles, but I have a soft spot in my heart for top ramen. It was my favorite food as a kid! Aaaah memories... :)

Angie McGowan said...

Another great idea for ramen noodles, thanks!

Sippity Sup said...

I love everything you do, but this just seems so YOU to me. Delicious! GREG

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try that technique!

Jenn said...

Diana: I love ramen noodles. I tend to eat the little bit left in the bag raw. LOL.

Angie: Your welcome!

Greg: My personality shows. ;-)

Hummingbird: Thanks.

chow and chatter said...

my kind of meal love it

Michelle @ A Shade of Gray said...

First thought? Delicious "grown-up" unprocessed top ramen (I used to love that as a kid). Looks gorgeous Jenn!

Lori Lynn said...

Oh oh mine too. I haven't made it myself. Need to try your recipe. It will definitely be a hit around here.
LL

Sanghi said...

looks great.. yum yum!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I think my sissy will love this. Just like you she loves crispy noodles.

Jenn said...

Chow and chatter: ;-)

Michelle: Hehe...

LL: It's really good. Give it a try.

Sanghi: Thanks.

Peachkins: Pass this recipe on to her. ;-)

OysterCulture said...

wow, another delicious treat, you are so full of inspiration!

theUngourmet said...

I still have 1/2 a case of ramen that I keep forgetting about. I'd love to try this!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I have a real weakness for pan fried noodles. Yours sound really delicious.

Jenn said...

Oyster Culture: Thanks.

Ungourmet: Here's a recipe you can try using it on.

Mary: ;-)

Reeni said...

Another one I've never eaten. This looks really good. Between this and watching The Ramen Girl last night I am really craving!

Jenn said...

Reeni: I think that means you got to cook up some ramen.

tavolini said...

Yum--all around, this sounds most excellent. I love ramen--we eat probably way too much of it.

Jenn said...

TavoLini: I love ramen, too.

wasabi prime said...

Oh gads, this looks delicious. There was a Hawaii restaurant close to where I used to live that would make a pan fried saimin that was insanely good. I love the crispy/chewy texture the noodles get when they are pan-seared. Om nom nom. Thanks for making me so hungry!!!!! ;)

Jenn said...

Wasabi: Cool. I love crunchy noodles, too.

www.badajoz-3d.com said...

In my opinion everyone may browse on this.

Laladaca said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!! The noodles are good enough to eat by them selves.I tried this with Tilapia instead of chicken and made a few other changes and it was absolutely fantastic!:) Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger