Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup


When you feel a bit under the weather, there's nothing better that I could think of than a nice hearty bowl of chicken noodle soup. That's how I was felt recently. On this particular day, I didn't want to put the effort into making a dinner. And there were other mouths to feed, I needed a solution that wouldn't take too much energy out of me. I had some chicken from that big Costco bag in the freezer. Soup would be the best bet. Also, to make things easier I dusted off the good old slow-cooker.

I knew it was hot out, but it was the only thing that would make me feel better and happy. I had all the ingredients I needed. A large chicken breast, small elbow pasta, carrots, onions, herbs, stock, celery. Oh...I don't have celery. Ugh!! (*expletive, expletive*) Grr... Don't you just hate it when you think you had all the ingredients to find out that one is missing. Hmph! I didn't want to go out in the heat. It'll just make me cranky. But a saving grace emerged from a little itty-bitty voice whispering inmy head, "You have chayote in the fridge." YES!! Perfect. Thank you little voice in my head. Just when I thought my soup would be a doomed, it was once again revived.

You may remember chayote, which I featured in my Ginger Soup with Chayote, a while back. I usually eat the stuff simply sautéed with onion and a little bit of olive oil, but thanks to that little voice it will now be used in my chicken soup. Peeling the stuff can be annoying as there's bit of a sticky reside that is has once you cut the skin off. Simply wear a glove or a plastic bag over your hand. Then wash it off with some cold water, and you're ready to go.

I put all the ingredients into the slow-cooker, set the machine to low and left it for 5-6 hours. This is perfect for those who don't have time to cook when they get home from work. Prepare the stuff the night before or in the morning. Put everything together before leaving and when you get home, dinner is ready. Just before serving, I took the chicken breast out and shredded the meat, then put it back into the soup.

I've been toying with ideas for more slow-cooker recipes. We'll see how those go. I served this with some slices of homemade french bread, I had made the day before.

Serves 3-4



Crockpot Chicken Noodles Soup

1 12oz can chicken stock
2 c water
1 large chicken breast
1 chayote - peeled and sliced
1 medium onion - sliced
3 carrots - chopped into chunks
1 tbsp fresh ginger
1 tbsp dry thyme
1 tbsp dry parsley
2-3 c uncooked elbow pasta
salt
pepper

note: to avoid the sticky reside while peeling the chayote, wear rubber gloves or use a plastic bag to cover your hand. Then wash off with cold water.

Place all ingredients in the slow cooker and set it on low it will be ready in 5-6 hours.

Just before serving, remove the chicken and cut to chunks or shred into pieces. Then replace back into the pot.

34 comments:

Unknown said...

sometimes there's nothing better or more comforting than a nice bowl of chicken noodle soup :)

Parita said...

comforting bowl of goodness!

Heather S-G said...

My most favorite comfort food of all time is chicken noodle soup...it's a nice chilly morning and I'd love to cozy up with a bowl right now. I wouldn't have thought to use chayote even if I had some staring me in the face, LOL! delicious :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

There is nothing better than chicken noodle soup to make you feel better... :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks rib-sticking good. I think chicken noodle soup is one of my all-time favorite foods. Your recipe and the use of the crock-pot have caught my attention.

vanillasugarblog said...

Yes indeed it is a all-purpose healer isn't it? I will be making this soon as it's already 67 degrees here--summer is gone.

OysterCulture said...

Love just about anything you can make in a crockpot

Dewi said...

Nothing more comforting then a bowl of chicken noodle soup.

theUngourmet said...

Chicken soup warms my soul! It always tastes so much better from scratch!

The Duo Dishes said...

Gotta get a crockpot! Fall's here, so it's time.

Jenn said...

HH: True.

Parita, Andrea, Elra: Yes.

Girlichef: So would I. hehe...

Mary: Cool.

Dawn: Perfect way to get ready for the fall.

Oyster: Yes! Easy cooking with the crockpot.

Ungourmet: I agree.

Duo. Yes.

lisaiscooking said...

That is one nice bowl of comfort food! I love the big chunks of carrots in it.

Unknown said...

Looks delicious! Don't you just love the slow cooker? So convenient!

Teanna said...

I almost want to get a cold just so I can fully enjoy this recipe! I'd fully enjoy it without one, but there is nothing like curling up with a bowl of soup when you have a cold!

Reeni said...

I am so ready for soup! Bring on fall and bring on the soup! This looks great - I've never had a chayote.

Jenn said...

Lisa: I love it chunky!

ValleyWriter: Very convenient! I need to experiment more with it.

Teanna: LOL. So true.

Reeni: Chayote is really good. It's got a mild taste to it, so it can go great with so many dishes.

chow and chatter said...

yummy soup love your writing style lol

Lori Lynn said...

Chayote as a substitute for celery? I would never have thought of that. Brilliant! The soup looks so good and homey.
LL

Tangled Noodle said...

I broke out my crockpot last week, even though it was still August and technically summer. But it's unseasonably cool here and it's only going to get colder so soups are starting to take hold in my cravings! I'm so ready for a bowl of this soup.

Anonymous said...

Please make this for me...I'm sick :-(...I have a sore throat and all I could think of eating today was chicken noodle soup...

It's HOT and I don't even have AC so no freaking wonder I'm feeling terrible! >:-(

p.s. where can I find good bread around here? I can't find a single good baguette, the nice crusty kind!

Jenn said...

CC: Thanks. hehe...

LL: ;-D

Tangled:

burpandslurp: Aww...feel better soon. Definitely have some soup. I'm hoping good weather will be coming soon. The fires aren't helping at all right now.

Jamie said...

Chicken Soup is one of the greatest comfort foods - not to mention a great healer! I love it. Now I must go out and buy a slow cooker....

tavolini said...

yum. Soup is my favorite--I eat it all year round, regardless of the weather :)

Jenn said...

Jamie: A slow-cooker is a must, I think.

Erica said...

My favorite comfort food!!!Looks delicious.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I've been meaning to make chicken soup. Duh, didn't even think about the slow cooker. I'm so doing this in the next few days - I have everything I need (even celery)! Thanks for reminding me! I do like your addition of ginger...yum!

teresa said...

i just adore chicken noodle soup, this looks wonderful!

Jenn said...

Erica, Teresa: thanks.

Tasty Eats: the ginger helps.

Diana H said...

Homemade chicken noodle soup is one of the tastiest meals. I don't think I've even seen chayote, but it looks worth a try, and a little heat from ginger - good for your stomach.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Your soup looks so tasty - it's perfect for the fall. I love using the crockpot... makes life so much easier!

Jenn said...

Diana: chayote is good.

Jen: I completely agree.

Unknown said...

I've been through countless flu seasons and suffered the worst
symptoms. As always, the first
hot bowl of chicken noodle soup
my body could take was, well, miraculous!
Seriously, I've heard all the hoopla gaga about chicken noodle soup in regard to flu’s and colds but once again I say “miraculous!” Once you down a good
hearty bowl of this stuff (and keep it down!) your on your way to recovery.
Scientific? Who knows, all I know
Is it works, swine flu to boot!

Christina LaFiura said...

do the noodles turn out ok being in there the whole time?

Anonymous said...

We just made this and the noodles turned to mush from being in there that long. The only thing we did differently was no chayote.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger