Search Bread + Butter

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day Dessertizer: Meatballs with cheese sauce


Meatballs with cheese sauce.

I remember watching an episode of Dinner:Impossible and the mission was to make a dinner for magicians in Las Vegas. Robert Irvine had to create dishes that tasted one thing, but looked completely like a different dish.

Here's what I did with the scrap cake pieces, leftover filling and icing. Meatballs and cheese sauce aka German Chocolate Cake Balls with Butterscotch Icing. It looks like it, doesn't it? The coconuts can be the onions.

Dessert or appetizer? It's a Dessertizer. I don't know. You decide.

-----------------------

You can view my recipe for the German Chocolate Cake and Butterscotch Icing here.

To make the cake balls:
Crumble the cake into itty-bitty pieces shortly after baking. Make sure that both the cake and filling a cool enough to hand.

Mix in the coconut-pecan filling. Mold into balls. Size is your choice.

Chill in the fridge for at least an hour to let them firm up, then drizzle the icing over like a sauce.

Chill in the fridge for at least an half an hour before serving to let the icing set.

------------------------

Trick you husbands, dads, father-in-laws or guests at a party with this.

"Hey dad, try some meatballs and cheese sauce" Takes bite. "Whoa...it's cake!!"

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL THE DADS!!!
Here's some "meatballs with cheese sauce" for you eating enjoyment.

35 comments:

KennyT said...

I really thought they were meat balls, Jenn ^^.

Cucinista said...

Ha! I would have been very surprised if I'd eaten one of these.

Denise said...

Too funny, I was hoping for a new meatball recipe for my kids..I love it...

Parita said...

OMG cheese sauce looks delicious Jenn!!!

Tangled Noodle said...

You had me going! These totally looked like meatballs in cheese. Love these trompe l'oeil treats. 'Dessertizer' - that's great!

Christo Gonzales said...

you had me going there for a minute- what a unique idea!

Heather S-G said...

Ha! I love it...they totally look like meatballs! I'll have to try these :D

theUngourmet said...

How funny! I love this idea!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a wonderful idea! You'll also get to see who really reads your posts from start to finish :-).

pigpigscorner said...

Very creative! I thought they were meatballs!

Sippity Sup said...

My dad loves GC Cake. It was always his BDay cake when I was a kid. So thanks for making me remember that on Fathers Day! I'll send him the link...and I stumbled it because I know lots of people will find it tooo cute! GREG

Pooja said...

Wow awesome! Thought they were meat balls in cheese! Great idea!

Jenn said...

Kenny: The mind tricks the eye.

Cucinista: I'm sure you would have

Denise: you can trick your kids into thinking these are meatballs.

Parita, doggy, ungourmet: Thanks!

Tangled noodle: The single to two bite treats.

Girlichef: go for it!

Mary: True

pigpigscorner: LOL.

Greg: Thanks. Your dad would definitely love this. =)

Pooja: Thanks.

Anonymous said...

holy cow. this is really creative, and LOVE the smothering with "cheese sauce". What a whimsical dish, perfect for kids and adults alike!

Debbie said...

Your picture fooled me!!! If I didn't read what you wrote I would never have known....clever girl!!!

Dana Fallentine said...

I love meatballs! I will have to try this delicious looking recipe!

zerrin said...

Jenn this is a great way to trick someone. I thought they were meatballs and started to crave for some until I read the post.

And I love your word creation in "dessertizer".

Dewi said...

Gosh, I thought it was meat ball for real, and was curious about the sauce, lol! very clever Jenn!

Jenn said...

burpandslurp: I couldn't agree more.

debbie: Thanks.

Dana: Trick the kids into thinking they're eating something else.

Zerrin: you can still crave meatball, but have cake instead. A good replacement.

Elra: Thanks.

Creative Classroom Core said...

hehhhehhee! So cute! Love the presentation!

Bob said...

Ha! That's awesome. :)

Phyllis said...

Haha - I knew it! Only because I've made cupcake balls before - still plan to blog about them one day. Love the fake-out meatball presentation!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Very cute. I honestly thought I was looking at meatballs until I read the post. I will have to try to trick my hubby with this one.

tavolini said...

LOL! Very creative, Jenn :) I dig it!

Anonymous said...

what a neat creation! Very cute!

Diana said...

My eyes are so confused! I'm sure once I tasted one, I'd be all smiles though! :)

Anonymous said...

I love this...how creative! I was really shocked when I read that it was cake.

Cori said...

That is awesome! I was totally going to post how when my husband and I go to Ikea he always makes me stop in for the Swedish meatballs... not my favorite. But this recipe would be one I'd stop in for.

Jenn said...

finsmom, bob: Thanks. ;-)

Phyllis: You guess right. I remember making these for the first time last Christmas and people loved them.

Jen: You hubby will love this.

TavoLini, 5 Star: Thanks.

Diana: the taste will put everything into perspective. hehe...

nutmegnanny: Thanks.

Cori: I love the meatball at ikea. hehe... but this would be a great substitute for them.

lisaiscooking said...

That's very tricky! Nicely done. The coconut worked perfectly.

teresa said...

You really had me convinced that these really were meatballs! Fun idea, these look good!

Reeni said...

These are so cool! You would of given Chef Irvine a run for his money!

Jenn said...

Lisaiscooking, Teresa, Reeni: Thanks

www.las-palmas-3d.com said...

The chap is definitely just, and there is no doubt.

site said...

For my part every person may read this.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger