Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pesto #1: Sun-dried Tomato

Reminder: The BSI challenge with this week's ingredient of choice Bell Pepper. You have until Sunday, Sunday, Sunday night to enter. (here) Few have already submitted. Have you? Yes, you?

-------------------------------------------------



The other day I had an idea to make two different kinds of pesto. I was debating which one to make first. I tweeted my dilemma on twitter, but that did not help as the replies were tied. Eek! Also, I was running short on time as I still had to prepare dinner, too. Double eek!

Finally, I just decided to do both. If you remember a few weeks back when I tried making wheat pasta, I had served it with some sun-dried tomato pesto, I had gotten from the Farmer's Market. And I wanted to make something a little similar. Here's my version. Simple and easy to make. Mix it with pasta or spread it on some bread.

So, here's pesto #1: Sun-Dried Tomato. I used small shell pasta and served it with a couple of warm baby pan de sal. Scoop some of the pasta into the bread and eat it like a sandwich. That's what they do in the Philippines. It may sound a little weird, but it's really good.

This pesto will serve about 4-6. Come back tomorrow for pesto #2.



Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto

1 1/2 c fresh basil
5 oz sun-dried tomatoes in Olive Oil (a small jar)
1 c pine nuts
2 Garlic cloves
salt
pepper
8 cherry tomatoes - quartered (optional)


Combine fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, including oil, and the cherry tomatoes in a food processor or blender. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste. Blend until a paste consistency.


Here's a way to make pesto by hand: Reserve the oil from the sun-dried tomato in a bowl. On a chopping board, finely chop the garlic, then gradually begin chopping in the basil. Don't do it all at once or it will be a big mess. Do the scrap and chop method until you get a near mince. Do the same method with the pine nuts, and sun-dried tomato, until you get a paste like consistency. Mix in some salt and pepper to taste. Place the mixture in another bowl then drizzle over in the reserved olive oil from the sun-dried tomato.

Serve with your choice of pasta and/or bread.

29 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Love this version of pesto, sun dried tomatoes are something I cook with often!

Unknown said...

This a a wonderful idea. I like the idea of making your own pesto rather than out of a jar, because even if you find a great brand that you really like, what I usually find is that after a while you might not be able to get it anymore, and then what? People want to know why you dont make "your special pasta" anymore. You cant tell them it came out of a jar. Ask me how I know this *wink*

Unknown said...

I've never had sun-dried tomato pesto before, but it sounds (and looks) great. I can't wait until basil comes "in season" here!

Heather S-G said...

Yum, pesto in general works for me...this version sounds mighty tasty, though.

tavolini said...

That sounds good!! Our basil is almost to the point where I'm ready to pick enough for a big batch of pesto--I'm looking forward to a pesto dilemma :)

Sippity Sup said...

Beautiful. Weirdly I am posting a pesto today too.Plus I know from reading your post that you will be posting a pesto tomorrow! My pesto is arugula and is served with sausage. I hope I don't end up copying you. But for the record I did not know you were doing pesto too. GREG

Pam said...

I am loving this pesto - it looks and sounds really, really delicious.

theUngourmet said...

The pasta in the bread sounds great to me! I don't think I have eaten Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto. It sounds and looks delicious!

Bob said...

Sun dried tomato pesto is a good time, yours looks fantastic. I love putting my pasta in bread. My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts. Heh.

Anonymous said...

pesto and sundried tomatoes are like the perfect match - does not get better.

The Duo Dishes said...

We could spread that on a nice crusty loaf of bread...

Anonymous said...

A sun-dried tomato pesto is great! So glad I saw this before I make dinner tonight, was planning some kind of pasta and I have sun-dried tomatoes so this will be perfect. Thanks for this idea!

Jenn said...

Sophie: Thanks.

Donna: It's such an awesome ingredient.

Heavenly Housewife: LOL. Ya I agree. Plus, real homemade makes it special.

ValleyWriter: You'll love it!.

girlichef: Thanks.

TavoLini: That's one thing I've to to grow my own of is basil.

Greg: No worries. It's a happy coincidence. My other pesto is a different green ingredient.

Pam, the ungourmet: it is. =)

Bob: haha...your gf doesn't know what she's missing. =)

OysterCulture: No it doesn't.

Duo Dishes: You sure can.

5 Star Foodie: Your welcome. =)

pigpigscorner said...

Sun-dried tomato pesto sounds delicious! I love pesto pasta. and on bread? I'll def try that, I'm a huge carb fan.

Thistlemoon said...

Hi Jenn! I love anything with sun dried tomatoes - so this pasta looks amazing!!!

lisaiscooking said...

Wow, that just brought back a memory. I used to scoop pasta onto bread when I was a kid. Delicious! Your pesto looks great too!

Diana said...

Yum! Now you've got me craving pasta! And pasta bread sandwiches...

Looks like you did alright by your pesto! :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Jenn!
Greetings!
Some Italians are going to start wandering if they are really needed!
LOL
Cheers,
Robert-Gilles

Debbie said...

Looks great...I love sun dried tomatoes!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

This looks delicious, Jenn! Perhaps I voted for the wrong one... I'm looking forward to pesto #2, too!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Sounds and looks delicious! I love everything and anything tomato, so I'll definitely try this recipe! Plus, I haven't used sun-dried tomatoes in anything for a long time; it's about time to buy and use some again. Looking forward to pesto #2... :)

Reeni said...

I love a good pesto and this one is delicious with the tomatoes in it. And I bet just lovely on your home-made pan de sal!

Jenn said...

pigpigscorner: It's good on bread too.

Jenn: Thanks.

lisaiscooking: amazing when we associate certain food with memories.

Diana: Thanks. =)

R-G: haha...I still need them for inspiration.

Debbie: Thanks.

Jen: You'll like the other one, too.

Andrea: Pesto #2 is good too.

Reeni: Soooo good. hehehe...

Anonymous said...

oh...both sun-dried and fresh tomatoes! love it!

♥peachkins♥ said...

Love love love pasta. Iwas also planning on making pasta today..

Dana Fallentine said...

Ohhh... how I love pasta! Looks delcious!

Jenn said...

peachkins: Sounds like a good plan to me.

Dana: Thanks.

Tangled Noodle said...

I love it! I've only ever made two kind kinds of pesto: the classic basil and pignolas, and parsley and walnuts. Then I got stuck . . . ! This is really fantastic and it's so awesome that you brought in the pan de sal!

Jenn said...

Tangled Noodle: Gotta have the pan de sal in there. make a little cameo =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger