Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, June 20, 2009

German Chocolate Mini Cakes with Butterscotch Icing



It was my mom's birthday yesterday and I wanted to surprise her with a little cake or two. Ain't I loving daughter? When I started baking, this was the first cake I ever made. It is a German Chocolate cake. Made it from scratch. None of that boxed stuff. I usually make this once or twice a year. Depending on the occasion or request.

The original recipe comes from a tear-out card in the box of Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate found in the baking section of your grocery. It's the one cake I'm known for in my circle of close friends. It makes about 2-3 9-inch layers. So it's a pretty large cake.

This time around I decided to do half the recipe and make some mini cakes with a butterscotch icing drizzled on top. I'm not very good at decorating and what not them. Eating, yes. Decorating, that's a big fat no. Using a 4-inch cookie cutter to make the rounds. I made 3 mini cakes with it. Of course, there was quite a bit leftover. What did I do with the rest of the filling, cake pieces and icing? I made meatballs and cheese sauce with them. I can imagine you all scratching your heads going..."???" Tune in tomorrow to find out what I mean. Unless, you can figure it out in the next 24 hours. It's a pretty easy answer.

Anyway...my mom loved the cake(s). Here she is ready to blow out the little birthday candle. You know the phrase "aging gracefully"? I truly think my mom fits the title. If you look at a picture of her 10-15 years ago, you'd think it was taken recently. Oddly enough, some people have mistaken us for sisters. True story. Which I find pretty funny because I look more like my dad. Go figure. Hopefully, I can do the same as I get older. *crossing fingers*


I love this cake and I wouldn't mind making this all the time. The recipe below will make 1 9-inch layer, 2 c filling and 2 c butterscotch icing.




German Chocolate Cake with Butterscotch Icing
adapted from Original Baker's German Sweet Chocolate Cake recipe

Cake:
2oz Sweet Chocolate
1/3 water
1 c Cake Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter (softened)
1 c sugar
2 eggs (separated)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 buttermilk

Note: if you don't have buttermilk, you can mix in 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar to 1/2 c milk. Let it stand for at least 10 before adding to the cake mixture.

Preheat your oven to 350˚F.

Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Melt the chocolate with the water in a microwave safe bowl to 1 min 30 sec. After the first minute, stir the chocolate to combine witht he water. Stir again after the final 30 seconds.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the egg yolks, beating after each one. Add in the vanilla and chocolate. Then slowly add the flour mix and buttermilk, alternating between the two.

Beat the eggs whites with an electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks. Gently fold into the fluffy egg white into the chocolate mix.

Line a greased baking pan with parchment paper and pour the mixture.

Bake for 30 min. Use the toothpick method to check. Let it cool for 5 min before removing from baking pan.


Coconut Pecan Filling:
2 egg yolks
1 5oz can evaporated milk
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c sugar
6 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 1/2 c sweetened coconut
1 c pecan bits

Beat egg yolks, milk and vanilla into a saucepan until blended together. Add sugar and butter and heat on medium for 12-15 min or until mixture is thick and golden brown. Stir constantly the whole time to prevent the yolk from cooking.

When the mixture is thickened remove from heat and let it cool for 5 min. Add the pecans and coconut and mix well. let it cool down then spread onto the cake.


Butterscotch Icing:
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1/2 butterscotch chips
4 Tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla
4 Tbsp butter or margarine

Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl.

Melt the margarine in the microwave for 1 min. Add to the powdered sugar and mix.

Add vanilla and 2 Tbsp of the water

Melt the butterscotch chips with the other 2 Tbsp of the water for 1 min 30 sec in a microwave safe bowl. After the first minute, stir the chips, to combine with water. Mix again after the final 30 sec.

Add the butterscotch to the mix and combine well until it is a yellow-caramel color. Spread or drizzle onto the cake.

Note: For thicker icing, add more powdered sugar. For thinner icing, add water.


Putting it all together:
remove the cake from the baking pan. Level off the top and slice it in half horizontally. Take a 3-4 inch cookie cutter and cut out 3 cakes. There should be 6 round pieces.

Spread some of the coconut-pecan filling over the bottoms. Place the top cake piece and drizzle some of the butterscotch icing over coating the top. Place in the fridge, if not being served immediately.

39 comments:

Parita said...

Ohhh i love butterscotch, mini cakes look soo good with all the icing running down the sides..slurp!!

Laura said...

SO cute!! I love it :)

Denise said...

These are adorable and it looks like your Mom loved them!!

Christo Gonzales said...

awesome daughter! what a nice cake(s) you made

Anonymous said...

That looks so good! I'm not good at the decorating either. What matters is the taste.

Cucinista said...

What a yummy looking cake. I love the mini cake concept too -- a great change from cupcakes!

vanillasugarblog said...

hey Jenn, just saw that pic in my reader and had to stop by and tell you "FABULOUS!".

Heather S-G said...

Aw, Happy Birthday to your mom...she's adorable :D And your cake looks scrumptious!

Justin said...

i love how completely rustic this is

Phyllis said...

Wow your mom looks great! And nice job with the mini cakes, now I want cake for breakfast. So did you make cupcake balls with the leftovers?

Delectable Dining said...

These are adorable!

theUngourmet said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom! What a sweet daughter you are.

I love German Chocolate Cake and I bet the butterscotch icing is terrific with it!

Bob said...

I've never made a German's cake before, they look mad good. What a sweet thing to do for your mom. :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

Birthday wishes for your Mom. It sounds like an otherworldly good cake. I'm sure she appreciated it.

lisaiscooking said...

Last weekend, I saw the german chocolate cake Throwdown episode and have been craving it since. Yours looks great! And, your Mom looks way too young!

Unknown said...

Isn't that darling! It looks super! Happy birthday to your beautiful mother :D.

Jenn said...

Parita: It's a good combination

Laura, doggy: Thanks.

Denise: She did.

Hummingbird: ya. All that matters is how it tastes. Forget looks.

Cucinista: ya. In a way it gives it a personal touch.

Dawn: Thanks!! Hope you vacay is going well.

girlichef: I tell my mom you said that. She'll be happy.

Justin, delectable dining: Thanks.

Phyllis: You guessed right. hehehe...

the ungourmet: It was good. I'm still eating it actually.

Bob: Thanks.

Mary: She loves it when I make this one.

lisaiscooking: I'll tell my mom you said that. She'll love it. I also saw that episode of throwdown, too. I guess I know what we were watching last weekend.

Heavenly Housewife: Thanks.

Cookin' Canuck said...

That butterscotch icing looks delicious. Your mum must have been thrilled!

Dana Fallentine said...

WOW! I can almost feel it melting in my mouth!

Debbie said...

I love the fact that you made this for your mom. You are such a sweet daughter....your mom is lucky to have you and the cake looks delicious!!!

kamran siddiqi said...

Jenn, this look amazing! Heck, anything with chocolate is great, but this looks very rustic and scrumptious- something that I really like!

Thanks for sharing!

Jenn said...

Cookin' Canuck: She was.

Dana: =)

Debbie: Thanks.

Kamran: Thanks. I'm all for anything chocolate.

Admin said...

You're a great daughter, indeed. Your mom must be very proud.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Ooh - German chocolate cake sounds wonderful - and I love mini cakes! Soo tasty!

Reeni said...

That dripping butterscotch icing is decoration enough for me! They look scrumptious!! Your very sweet for baking these for your Mom. My Mom and I are the same way - were always mistaken for sisters, don't you love it!

chow and chatter said...

what a cute pic of your Mum, adorable and wow what a cake, you can cook!

Pooja said...

Happy birthday to your mom. She looks lovely! And what a wonderful birthday cake you have made! She would have been so excited!

Jenn said...

Leela: She is. ;-)

Jen: Makes portion sizes easy to figure out.

Reeni: It's really funny at time to get mistaken for sister.

Chow & Chatter: Thanks.

Pooja: Thanks. She was.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday to your mom! The mini cake look so scrumptious! I love that butterscotch icing!

Jamie said...

The cake is too adorable! And so is your mom! Lucky her to have a daughter that offers her such a delicious, special cake for her birthday.

Daily Spud said...

I don't know anyone who doesn't like being surprised by a cake - lucky Mom :)

pam said...

Happy birthday to your mom! You are such a good daughter!

Tangled Noodle said...

Your mom is lovely! If this cake is any indication, she must have had a wonderful birthday.

I think this mini-cake is 'decorated' perfectly - all that deliciousness, just slightly enrobing the cake. And the coconut pecan filling sounds awesome! Now, I have to know about these leftovers in cheese-covered meatballs . . . you are always full of surprises!

Jenn said...

5 Star, Jamie: Thanks.

Daily Spud: Same here. cake is the one thing that people would love on their birthday.

Pam: I will let her know.

Tangled Noodle: Thanks. My mom loved her birthday. It's really cool.

Anonymous said...

This looks adorable and yummy!

Jenn said...

Nutmegnanny: Thanks.

teresa said...

Yum-mee! I want to gobble this up! Your mom is adorable!

Jenn said...

Teresa: Thanks.

muebles mostoles said...

There's no doubt, the guy is completely right.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger