Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tuna Pestodillas


I had a little avocado pesto leftover. I still have cans of tuna left in the cupboard. I wondered what I can make with the two. Field trip to Whole Foods. Looking up and down the aisle. I spot the torillas. Whole wheat goes into my basket. Check. Head to the produce section. Spot me some bell peppers and tomatoes. Take one of each. Check. Pay for items and head for the car.

Get home. Roast bell pepper and tomato. Remove provolone cheese and avocado pesto from the fridge and tuna from the cupboard. I finally get my "Ah-Ha" moment. A tuna-pesto quesadilla. A little itty-bitty twist to the classic cheese quesadilla.

You can also use the ready roasted bell peppers and tomatoes that are preserved in oil, if you're short on time.

It's really tasty. I've never had tuna quesadillas until this. It's always chicken or the regular cheese mix and until recently mushrooms. All that gooey deliciousness!




Tuna Pestodillas

4 taco-sized torillas
Avocado Pesto
1 Tbsp Lite mayo
1 5oz can tuna in oil
6 slices provolone cheese
1 tsp dry thyme
1 tsp dry parsley
1 bell pepper (deseeded and sliced)
1 large tomato (deseeded and quartered)
Olive Oil

Optional
Roasted Bell Peppers in oil
Roasted Tomatoes in oil


Preheat oven 400˚F

In a bowl, coat the bell pepper and tomato in a little olive oil, place on a baking sheet and roast for 30min. (You can also use the ready made roasted peppers and tomatoes if you don't have the time.)

Cool after roasting and cut into chunks.

Preheat your broiler.

Remove most, but not all the oil from tuna and put into a bowl. Add in the mayo, thyme, parsley, bell pepper and tomatoes pieces. Mix well.

Lay out a tortilla. On one side, place some cheese and fold over. Do the same for the other three tortillas and place on a baking sheet.

Place the quesdillas in the broiler for 3-5 min or until the cheese it melted.

Remove from the broiler and carefully open the quesadillas. Spread some avocado pesto followed by the tuna mixture and fold it closed.

Cut in half or enjoy it whole.

32 comments:

Denise said...

These lok great. Nice and gooey.

The Paraplegic Chef said...

Yes I agree! This does look nice :)

Donna-FFW said...

These look wonderful and how creative of you!

pigpigscorner said...

love the gooeyness of it! Looks so delicious.

theUngourmet said...

Very nice! We love whipping up different types of quesodillas-ish things at our house. I will have to try this out!

Creative Classroom Core said...

So gooey and delicious! Yum!

tavolini said...

mmmm--Good idea!! I like the tuna/pesto combo. It's always fun to see what you can create when your cabinets are running low ;)

(my favorite is a spinach quesadilla)

nora@ffr said...

Mmmm, tummies are rumbling for these! They sound addictive..
thanx for the recipe..
cheers!!

Pooja said...

That was awesome! Looks so delicious! I have a can of tuna in my pantry. Would give this a try!

Thistlemoon said...

This looks incredible! I love tuna, and this is another great way to use it!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

These look great! I posted quesadillas today, too - great minds think alike!

Delectable Dining said...

Yum! This sounds so good!

Justin said...

you and your funny recipe names... sounds good though

The Duo Dishes said...

Super different. Never, ever put tuna in a quesadilla, but why not! Looks good.

Admin said...

This is one of those things I can never say no to. Glad your recipe calls for tuna in oil; it's more delicious.

Jenn said...

Denise, The paraplegic Chef, donna, pigpigscorner, Jenn, Delectable Dining: Thanks

the ungourmet: sometimes I have to mix it up a bit.

finsmom: it is: =)

TavoLini: I know right. Then when the fridge is full, it's the complete opposite.

Nora: Your welcome!

Pooja: enjoy! =)

Jen: That's funny. Great minds do think alike.

Justin: I couldn't resist.

Duo Dishes: There's nothing wrong with tun a in a quesadilla. ;-)

Leela: I prefer the canned in oil to the canned in water. It just makes it better.

Debbie said...

I could very easily eat these at any time...they look fabulous. My kind of food!

lisaiscooking said...

Sounds like a melty delight! The roasted pepper sounds great in this.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Pestodillas!!! This goes into the "have to try" list :)

Sippity Sup said...

Pestodillas! Did you make that name up? It reeks of cleverness! GREG

Jenn said...

Debbie: It's really good.

lisaiscooking: The bell peppers do add a nice touch.

Sweta: Cool.

Greg: Thought it up all myself. Really came on a whim.

chow and chatter said...

wow now they look great

Anonymous said...

cheese, sandwiches between two crispy dough...Me encanta!!
I love your quirky name to it, "Pestodillas"!

Reeni said...

Isn't great when the ah-ha moment comes. These look ooey-gooey and so very yummy!!

Jenn said...

chow and chatter, burpandslurp: Thanks

Reeni: It's really great.

Jamie said...

Yum yum yum and flavorful and gooey. Perfect!

Jenn said...

Jamie: ;-)

Anonymous said...

Love the name, very creative use for leftover pesto and delicious!

Kristen said...

Very creative - sounds delish!

Jenn said...

5 Star Foodie, Kristen: thanks. =)

teresa said...

Your genious strikes again! These look wonderful, great combination!

Jenn said...

Teresa: ;-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger