Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Baked Spam Frittata

You've only got today and tomorrow to enter the BSI challenge with this week's ingredient of choice Bell Pepper. (here) There's some really awesome recipes listed. It's going to be a tough decision.

-----------------------------------------


Spam. Don't be frightened. You can substitute spam for whatever meat you prefer like bacon, beef, turkey or chicken. I happened to use spam because it was in the cupboard and well... growing up in a Filipino household, canned meats were very much a part of the "balanced" diet and easy to come by. It was spam lite, so that's got to count for something. Plus, this was the result when my brain decided to shutdown on me right before I had to decide what to cook for dinner. Optimal brain function had failed due to over-excessive use for two straight weeks of writing two drafts of a script. I've gotten loopy. Loopy, I tell you!!!! LOOOOOOOPY!!

Besides, spam ain't all that bad. I actually had the idea to use it as the BSI secret ingredient. haha... Just kidding. But seriously. *nodding head slightly with a grin* I was actually about to call these "spamtatas", but that just sounded way too funny. Have I mention that I was feeling loopy?

Frittatas are the Italian version of the American and French omelettes. It is generally made in a skillet, partially cooked on the stove and finished in the broiler. Since I don't really have a sizable skillet, I used a 9-inch pie tin. (I knew those Marie Callenders pie tins would come in handy one day.) Mixed it up with half an onion and some herbs. I skipped the whole stovetop portion of the process and decided to fully baked it instead. Topped it off with a couple of slices of provolone and served it with some banana ketchup and a pan de sal. I've turned this dish into a Filiplian hybrid.

Not bad for a slight loss of brain function, eh?



Baked Spam Frittatas

1/2 can of spam lite (diced)
1/2 medium sweet onion (sliced)
salt
pepper
dry or fresh oregano
dry or fresh thyme
dry or fresh basil
4 eggs (beaten)
3-4 slices provolone

Preheat oven to 350˚F

Lightly grease a 9-inch pie tin or skillet.

Mix together spam, onion, oregano, thyme, basil and egg. Season with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into a skillet or pie tin.

Bake for 40 min. 5 min before taking it out, place the provolone slices on top. Enjoy.


23 comments:

pigpigscorner said...

It looks so mouth-watering!! Love the spam! yum yum

theUngourmet said...

Spam is awesome! This looks terrific! Darn, I just was at the store doing my big grocery run. I want to go back and pick some up!

Pooja said...

Delicious frittata! Love the look of it. So tempting!

MyLastBite said...

This looks fantastic.

My husband gave me a CASE of "gourmet" SPAM ("bacon", "smoked", "hot & spicy", "cheese" plus more) for my birthday this year... that's how much I love it!!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Looks and sounds great-as usual,well done Jenn!!

Jenn said...

pigpigscorner: same here.

the ungourmet: It is isn't it.

Pooja: You just have one bite.

My Last Bite: LOL. Gourmet spam, eh? I've got to get me some of those.

Sweta: Thanks.

LanaAnn said...

Looks great! Not bad for someone who's totally loopy!

Anonymous said...

Loopy or otherwise, your creativity blows me away!

Anonymous said...

as a foodie, I'd love to turn my nose up at such processed crap as spam...but I can't. Spam is tasty. and if you had chosen that as a BSI ingredient, I still would have entered. lol!

Christo Gonzales said...

not a spam fan but I would totally taste this since you make it look so darn appetizing!

Heather S-G said...

LOOOOOOPY...ha ha ha ha! This sounds really good...we're Spam fans, too. Spam would have been an awesome secret ingredient!

Jenn said...

LanaAnn: Thanks.

OysterCulture: I appreciate it.

burpandslurp: It's hard not to like spam. For me at least.

doggy: I think you'll like this one.

girlichef: I thought so, too.

alice said...

I'm not sure why SPAM gets such a bad wrap. I think using it in a frittata is brilliant.

teresa said...

You know, I have never tried spam, and I feel like I'm missing out! I love this fritatta!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

This looks quite tasty - I actually think the spam in it sounds great... It is delicious with eggs.

kamran siddiqi said...

This looks amazingly delicious! I am not much of a spam person, but I bet if I were to try this recipe, I would be...

Thanks for sharing!

Jenn said...

Alice: Same here. I don't get it either.

Teresa: Spam is like ham in can. That's the best way I can describe it.

Jen: Spam and eggs definitely go well together.

Kamran: Why not give it a try? =)

Zee said...

i don't like spam Jenn...but I can always substitute it with another meat! looks absolutely mouthwatering!

Dewi said...

This frittata sounds delicious. I like spam.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I have actually never tried spam...

The Fritata sounds really good, but I think you should have gone with Spamtata! :)

Jenn said...

Zee: You can always substitute for a diffferent kind of meat.

Elra: Thanks.

Andrea: I found spamtata to be way too funny.

muebles oferta said...

Goodness, there is a lot of worthwhile info in this post!

аренда квартир в барселоне said...

In my opinion everybody must go through it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger