Search Bread + Butter

Monday, June 29, 2009

Oatmeal-Butterscotch Mini Muffins


This was my failed attempt at making oatmeal brownies. But on the upside, I'm really happy with how these came out because they turned into something else completely. I got muffins! Mini muffins to be exact. Don't you just love when something like that happens? Another happy mistake.

They're really good. There's a subtle butterscotch flavor. Great for breakfast, snack or dessert. Have it with some coffee, tea or moo juice. Topped them with a sprinkle of oats and a single butterscotch morsel before baking. Why the single morsel? I don't know. Decor? Maybe. I didn't think much into it. I made about 2 dozen mini muffins and 3 mini-loafs.

This makes 30 mini muffins.



Oatmeal-Butterscotch Mini Muffins

1/4 c granulated sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c unsalted butter or margarine (softened)
2 eggs
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c water
1 c rolled oats (plus extra for topping)
1 c butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350˚F

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt. Set aside.

Melt the butterscotch chips in a bowl with the water. Heat in the microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 min or until melted. Stir the mixture after the first minute to combine. Or use the double boiler method. Bring some water to a boil in a small pot. Once the water is boiling bring it down to a simmer. Place the butterscotch and water in a metal bowl and place on top of the pot. Stir butterscotch occasionally to combine until melted.

In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Then add in the eggs, mixing after each one. Add in vanilla, then the melted butterscotch. Combine well then slowly add the flour mixture. Mix well until there are no lumps.

Add in the oats.

Lightly grease your preferred muffin pan and pour in the batter 3/4 full. Sprinkle a little more oats on top.

Baked for 15-20 min. Let it cool for at least 5-10min.

41 comments:

Parita said...

i love butterscotch flavor, oh i wish we could get butterscotch chips here..muffins look soo good, perfect for my breakfast!

Donna-FFW said...

These look adorable. Worth the mistake to develop these bites of goodness!

Miranda said...

Those look great...Your photos are always so amazing.
I enjoy your site so much.

Thank you again, for stopping by my site. To be honest, the tiple vanilla cheesecake did not turn out to be way to vanilla. It was a mild vanilla taste....

Take Care and I will be back.

Karine said...

Your mini-muffins seem great! It is impossible to see that they were supposed to be brownies instead!

Anonymous said...

Dear Jenn!
This is certainly a better way to eat oats than with milk and sugar! (ech...)
Great idea!
Thanks for sharing!
Cheers,
Robert-Gilles

Heather S-G said...

gotta love those happy little mistakes! They sound delicious...butterscotch...mmmm....

foodcreate.com said...

Homemade ! Oatmeal Butterscotch mini muffines They are so Delicious. Yours look so tasty!

Thanks for sharing your Recipe:)

Have a Great Day~~~

pigpigscorner said...

Love it when these mistakes happen! They look so delicious esp with the chips!

Unknown said...

How cute and yummy looking. I agree, its so good when a kitchen mess up can turn into something good, but truth be told my mess ups usually end up in the garbage. :)

tavolini said...

Neato combination! I could use one of those with my morning coffee ;)

Creative Classroom Core said...

I am a muffin addict, so I will be bookmarking this one!

Yum!

Bob said...

I haven't had butterscotch chips in years, I might just have to make these. They sound great, muffins are a good time.

Sippity Sup said...

why do mini foods always taste better than their full sized brethren? GREG

Diana said...

I don't know that I could stop at just 1 butterscotch chip on the top! I might end up with a butterscotch block o chips! :)

KennyT said...

Brownies to muffins, a mistake I wanna make ^^

Thistlemoon said...

These all look great! :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

These are really cut. I'll wager they are just delicious. Thank you for sharing them with us. Have a wonderful day...Mary

The Duo Dishes said...

Where did you get that mini loaf pan?!

theUngourmet said...

I love the butterscotch chips! Mini muffins are the perfect sized treat!

Justin said...

you had me at "butterscotch"... this reminds me of an oatmeal butterscotch cookie I've made. I can't remember if it was a real recipe, or something I tweaked.

Phyllis said...

Nice save on the brownies! The mini loaves and muffins are adorable.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Don't you love it when a mistake turns out SO good-I'd love to make such mini 'mistakes' myself ;)

lisaiscooking said...

These look great! And, they're so little and cute. I wanted some of these as soon as I read the title.

Pooja said...

Looks fabulous! I love butter scotch. Wish I could get it some where here!

Jenn said...

Parita: Awe. That's sucks. I'd be glad to ship some to you. =)

Donna: This mistake was a good one.

Miranda: As long as there's vanilla, right?

Karine: Ya. I must have done something wrong in the process of making them

R-G: It's great to eat oats in new ways.

Girlichef, pigpigscorner: Thanks.

foodcreate: your welcome

Heavenly: I'm sure you'd had some turn out to be good.

TavoLini: Breakfast of champions!!

finsmom: Thanks.

Bob: Yes, they are.

Greg: You know you have a good question right there, in which I don't have the answer to.

Diana: blocks of butterscotch would definitely be better than one.

Kenny: Give i a try

Jenn: Thanks. ;-)

Mary: your welcome

Duo Dishes: I had gotten mine from Sur La Table. really cheap too. 4 for like 2 bucks each.

ungourmet: yes, they are.

Justin: i'll have to try making cookies out of them next time.

Phyllis: Thanks.

Sweta: I was a bit worries when I started making them. But I'm glad how they turned out.

Lisa is cooking: hehehe...;-)

Pooja: Awww...I think butterscotch should be available everywhere.

Teanna said...

Ooooh! Oatmeal and butterscotch? That is so interesting! I have never thought of the combo, but it sounds so good! And they look gorgeous!

Jenn said...

Teanna: Thanks.

Tangled Noodle said...

Happy mistakes always taste great - it's like snatching delicious victory from the jaws of defeat! I need to get some butterscotch chips - these look way too good to pass up . . .

Debbie said...

What a great snack....I would love at least 4 of these right now!

Reeni said...

What sweet little treats loaded with butterscotch chips! I wish I had one! Or two!

Anonymous said...

If only my mistakes always ended up into little deliciousness like this...

Anonymous said...

very cool. I love mini-muffins!

Maggie Ha said...

Looks DELICIOUS!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Yum!!! Oatmeal and butterscotch goes together so well. I wish had some in my kitchen:)

Jenn said...

Tangled Noodle: I was not going to let these "brownies" fail me.

Debbie: That's how much I ate when I first baked them.

Reeni: Two is good. maybe three or four.

Burpandslurp: They could.

hummingbird, maggie: Thanks.

Nutmeg nanny: They certainly do.

Anonymous said...

I love happy mistakes like this! The muffins look scrumptious and so perfect with butterscotch chips!

Jenn said...

5 Star: Thanks.

Juliana said...

Butterscotch...yummie! The muffins look so delicious, can only imagine how they taste...nice pictures!

pam said...

Thsoe look wonderful, perfect for snacking.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Sounds so delicious! I love butterscotch - reminds me of when I was a kid (not really sure why, though).

Jenn said...

Juliana, Pam: Thanks.

Jen: I love it when recipes bring out childhood memories.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger