Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Grilled meat, potatoes and shrooms

First, a little reminder about the BSI challenge with this week's ingredient of choice Bell Pepper. You've got until Sunday night to enter. (here)

-----------------------------------



Ever since I brought out my George Foreman grill from obscurity, I've been itching to grill more and more. With summer just around the corner, I'm trying to find any excuse to take it out.

So, meat and potatoes with little shrooms. Can't beat that combination. A good ol' fashioned steak. Well, a couple of filet mignon cuts for me. It was the only cut of meat that screamed out to me when I was in the market. I'm no meat aficionado, I'm used to a few cuts like tri-tip, rib-eye, and prime rib, just to name a few. What part of the cow they come from, don't ask me. I'd probably give you the wrong answer. Anyway, I haven't grilled in a LONG time, so I'm slowly, but surely, getting my footing again.

I usually like my steaks medium or medium-well. Depending if I'm eating out. On this day, I went for medium. A simple seasoning of only salt and pepper on the filet mignon before grilling as I made a dijon sauce to go with this. I don't want to over power the meat with too many flavors by marinating it or putting a rub. Spoon some of the sauce over it or on the side. Tastes great with the juices of the meat. It gives it a nice little twang.

This will serve 2.



Filet Mignon with Grilled Herbs Potatoes and Baby Portobellos With a Dijon Sauce

2 1" thick cuts Filet Mignon
12 Baby portobello mushrooms
6 Baby yellow potatoes (quartered)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Dry Basil
1 Tbsp Dry Oregano
Salt
Pepper

Preheat your grill.

Toss the quartered potatoes and baby portabellos in a long drizzle of olive oil, dry basil and dry oregano. Season with a little salt and pepper.

When your grill is hot, place the potatoes and the mushrooms.

Grill the mushrooms roughly 3-5 minutes per side.

There are two way to grill sliced potatoes that I know of:
1. place them directly on the grill for 20 min. 10 min per side.
2. parboil them first. Cuts the time in half. Make sure you drain them well before adding any
seasonings. Cook for 5-10 min per side.

If you've got room on the grill, start your filet mignon.

For outdoor grills, Sear them first for 3-4 minutes on both sides on direct heat with lid closed, if you're using an outdoor grill. Then cook for another 2-4 minutes on indirect heat until done to your liking (2-4 min for medium)

If using an indoor grill, roughly 5-10 min per side depending on your preference.

Remove the filet mignon and let the meat rest at least 5 min. This goes for any meat that you cook. It will redistribute the juices inside.

Serve with some of the grilled mushrooms and potatoes. And spoon over some Dijon Sauce.


Dijon Sauce
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp dry thyme
1 Large garlic clove (minced)
pepper

Combine all ingredients together. Stir until brown sugar has fully dissolved. Season with a little pepper.


35 comments:

pigpigscorner said...

yum yum! Now I wish I have a grill!

chow and chatter said...

looks tasty it needs some veggies though he he just teasing ya

Teanna said...

That looks absolutely delicious! My mouth is watering!

Heather S-G said...

Meat & potatoes...classic and delicious :D

...Rebecca, there's shrooms in there!!! ;)

vanillasugarblog said...

yes, I'm in finally! jenn why is it so hard to get in your blog, are you "members only" now? LOL
if anyone knows me well they know I love a damn fine sauce, and Ms. jenn you have created that here. oh that sauce sounds heavenly!

Brandi said...

I love potatoes + dijon - so good together!

great BSI pick!

Pam said...

That is my kind of dinner...I love the sauce. Bookmarked!

nora@ffr said...

soo simple and classyy.. i just love meat and potatoes.. spectially grilled ones.. soooooo yummmyyyyyyyy

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Lovely-I don't have a grill (yet):(

theUngourmet said...

My husband would love me for making this!

I love my George Foreman Grill. I use it for everything!

Dewi said...

Jenn, the mustard sauce sounds so good. Perfect for the grilled meat!

Sippity Sup said...

This is one of those food combinations that goes as close to perfection as you can get. I am comforted and nurished just reading your words. GREG PS I saw you vids over at Eric's blog. Of course I knew you were talented. But I still enjoyed seeing video proof. Great Job. Makes me a little embarrassed about my silly little videos at Sup.

MyLastBite said...

Perfectly Pink Steak! Looks so good.

Jenn said...

pigpigscorner: Go get one.

Chow and Chatter: There are some mushrooms. some. =)

Teanna: Mine is too.

girlichef: Classic, indeed!

Dawn: all are welcomes at this blog. =) you'll love the sauce.

Sophie: steaks are great all year round.

Brandi: Thanks.

Pam: The sauce goes well.

nora@ffr: me too.

Sweta: You'll get one one day. and you'll enjoy the heck out of it.

the ungourmet: I'm so happy that I didn't throw or give it away.

Elra: Thanks.

Greg: Thank you. No need to feel embarassed. I like the videos on Sup. They're creative in your own way. =)

My Last Bite: Thanks. It's gotta have a some pink for me.

Diana said...

I'm so impressed at that perfectly pink center! That's exactly how I like my meat to look! Not bleeding, but not dead either! ;)

P.S. I have recently become obsessed with my grill pan and have been using it every chance I get too!

Reeni said...

This looks so good, especially with the zesty Dijon sauce. I was planning on grilling tonight but rain is coming - I'll be dusting off my George too.

lisaiscooking said...

Your dijon sauce sounds great! I would be very happy with just a plate of the potatoes, mushrooms, and sauce.

Jenn said...

Diana: It's fun to grill stuff.

Reeni: It's great to have George as a back up grill. Eventually one day, I'd like to have a little outdoor one.

lisiscooking: I scooped up the sauce on the plate with the potatoe and mushroom. LOL. I love it that much.

Debbie said...

Now that is what I am talking about!!! What a great looking meal!

Christo Gonzales said...

straight up good cookin' - and hey I want to see some videos too....

Alta said...

I love anything with beef and mushrooms! This looks delicious!

Miranda said...

This looks amazing. I LOVE mushrooms but I do not cook them very often. My hubby hates them.:)
Thanks for stopping by my site.

Jenn said...

Debbie: Thanks!

doggy: You can go to my website. I've got all my work there.

Alta: ;-)

Miranda: The hubby doesn't know what he's missing with mushrooms. =)

teresa said...

This would bode very well at our house! Looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

A perfect dinner! The grilled potatoes sound great with the fillet mignon!

Anonymous said...

I'll take mine done medium, please!!
btw, I turned in my bsi recipe today :-)

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Sounds delicious!

I don't know my meat cuts either... but I did see a magnet in an Alton Brown book (forget which one) that diagrammed out the entire cow and labeled the meat cuts. Wonder what people would think if you kept that on your fridge!

Jenn said...

Teresa: Neat=o!

5 Star Foodie: They do go well together.

burpandslurp: Got it. =)

Jen: I'll take that magnet. Don't mind having a cow diagram on my fridge. lol.

Juliana said...

Yummie! Love meat...and mushrooms. The dijon sauce sounds heaven with all the flavors in it.

Tangled Noodle said...

This is just as it should be - a simply classic pairing! That steak is PERFECT - it looks so juicy and tender! You did that on a George Foreman grill? Puts the giant Weber to shame.

Jenn said...

Juliana: Definitely give the dijon sauce a try.

Tangled Noodle: Yup. All on good ol' George. =)

pam said...

Meat and potatoes, my favorite!

Zee said...

i love it jenn! yummy!!!

Jenn said...

Pam: Perfect combination!

www.almeria-3d.com said...

It can't work in reality, that is exactly what I suppose.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger