Search Bread + Butter

Monday, October 19, 2009

Bacon Stuffed Chicken with Tomato and Bell Pepper Sauce



Bacon is good. Bacon wrapped or stuffed into something is good. I realized that I haven't made anything involving bacon on this blog. I needed to remedy that situation asap. So last Wednesday after getting my errands done and over with too a little side trip to the grocery and bought myself a package of bacon. I have plans for this delicious bacon aside from reminiscing the many bacon-filled sandwiches I had as a child.

So I cook and cut them into bits, letting them rest on a paper towel. I butterflied a chicken breast and pounded it lightly making it a little bigger. Then laid some finely chopped garlic, cheese and bacon bits and rolled it up as tight as I could.  and secured it with a piece of skewer. I basted the chicken lightly with the bacon fat, but you can use some olive oil, if you'd like.

While that baked, I made a simple bell pepper and tomato sauce that I pureed in a blender after cooking to give it that creamy texture. The sauce is also great with pasta.

I served this with a side of roasted basil baby potatoes. Nothing special in that on. Just a simple toss in olive oil and minced basil and roasted it at the same time as the chicken. 





Bacon Stuffed Chicken 


1 large chicken breast
3 bacon strips - cut into pieces
2 large garlic cloved - finely chopped
Shredded cheese (your choice)
salt
pepper
extra virgin olive oil
Tomato and Bell Pepper Sauce (recipe below)

Preheat your oven to 375˚F

Cook the bacon in a skillet until brown and the fat renders out. Remove the bacon bits with a slotted spoon and place onto a paper towel to drain the excess fat.

Butterfly the chicken breast and lay it between two piece of plastic wrap. Lightly pound it into a thinner piece. But do not pound it too much. or the meat will begin to tear.

Season both side with some salt and pepper. Lay the chicken fillet flat spread the garlic, bacon, and cheese generously, the carefully roll. Use a toothpick or skewer to hold the chicken's shape. Lightly baste the chicken with the bacon fat or olive oil and place on a baking sheet.

Bake for 25-30 minutes.



Tomato and Bell Pepper Sauce

1 yellow bell pepper
2 medium tomatoes - chopped
2 Tbsp fresh basil - finely chopped
1 tsp dry oregano
2 green onions - finely chopped
salt
pepper


Saute the green onion and bell pepper in some olive oil. Cook until tender. Then add the tomatoes. Season with a little salt and pepper. Remove from the heat then puree the mixture in the blender, food processor or hand blender. Or you can leave it as chunky sauce.


36 comments:

pigpigscorner said...

totally agree. bacon is GOOD!

Heather S-G said...

Bacon is beautiful. And this sounds awesome...I want some.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

This reminds me of a dish my mom used to make. It's beautiful! And it sounds delicious!

lisaiscooking said...

The sauce and potatoes look so great with your stuffed chicken!

Mardi Michels said...

Bacon stuffed anything... Mmmm! Looks like a nice fall dish!

Sippity Sup said...

A hearty meal and bacon brings it home! GREG

Sharon said...

Yum!! I'm eating a pancetta stuffed chicken breast right now for lunch!!

teresa said...

mmmm, anything with bacon is a winner, this looks wonderful!

Miranda said...

Bacon rocks...This chicken dish looks fantastic....

Lana said...

Looks great! How can you go wrong with bacon? Thanks for sharing, Jenn.

Jenn said...

pigpig: Woohoo

girlichef, Sharon: ;-D

Andrea: it is.

Lisa, Miranda, Lana: Thanks.

Mardi, Greg, Teresa: I agree.

Christo Gonzales said...

I want some of this NOW!

Donna-FFW said...

Amazing is the first word that comes to mind. The next words are Give me some.

Pam said...

Everything is better with bacon. I am loving this dish, especially the sauce!

lk- healthy delicious said...

yes! I love bacon. it makes everything better.I also really liek the looks of the pepper sauce on this!

tavolini said...

oh yum!! Great combination with the sauce...looks fantastic!

How do you do your potatoes?

KennyT said...

Love the presentation!

Mary Bergfeld said...

If only we could find a way to get chocolate into it, it would be perfect. Even without chocolate is sounds PDG.

Jenn said...

doggy: me, too.

Donna: :-D

Pam: I agree

LK, Kenny: Thanks.

TavoLini: I usually like to roast them in the oven for 30 minutes.

Sasha said...

You're right - bacon is amazing pretty much any way you slice it, no pun intended. Sounds really good with that sauce too. : )

♥peachkins♥ said...

This looks sooo good! anything with bacon is good..

Screamin' Mama said...

Looks delicious! But then doesn't bacon make everything more tasty?

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Beautiful dish! Haven't made stuffed chicken in a while... sounds wonderful!

Dewi said...

The sauce sounds particularly tempting!

theUngourmet said...

Jenn, you are just amazing! I can't believe all of the great recipes you come up with everyday on top of everything else you do. You Rock!

Bacon is Good!!

Jenn said...

Sasha, Peachkins: ;-D

screamin': I agree.

Jen: It may be time to add stuffed chicken to you menu.

Elra: Thanks.

Ungourmet: Awe shucks, thanks. ;-D

The Duo Dishes said...

Bacon in, on, around or under chicken will be good. The sweet, salty pork is nice with the savory sauce you made too.

Parita said...

Loved the sauce..sounds fantastic!

Sophia said...

You haven't done anything with bacon? Thank God you put a remedy to that!! Bacon makes anything better! Yum~

Anonymous said...

Yum! Bacon inside the chicken sounds super delicious, the sauce is a nice compliment to the dish!

Unknown said...

ooooh....bacon stuffed chicken! does it get any better than that? and the potatoes! YUM (I'm a huge potato fan so oddly enough thats what I saw first in the pictuer LOL)

OysterCulture said...

This dish so reminds me of Chicken Kiev which I thought was so sophisticated as a kid. I need some NOW!

Reeni said...

Such a delicious and comforting meal! The sauce sounds yummy too.

Jenn said...

Duo: Yes.

Parita, 5 star, Reeni: Thanks.

Sophia: I agree.

Danielle: ;-D

Oyster: mmm...That sounds good.

camobel said...

I believe everybody should browse on it.

www.sevilla-3d.com said...

Hey, there is a lot of useful info above!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger