Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tomato-Corn Salsa



Here's a super simple salsa that can liven up your party. This is what I had topped my ginger maple mahi mahi with. It brought a nice blend of flavors to the dish. Though, this isn't that spice mango-corn salsa I had on the set of Bones, this will do just fine for now. A blend of fresh tomato, corn, cilantro (or parsley for the non-cilantro loving crowd), shallots, lemon juice and an optional jalapeño or two.

Chop the whole thing together and you've got yourself a little crowd pleaser. Keep chilled in the fridge if you're not serving it right away.

Oh, don't forget the chips. Or do what I did and serve up as a crostini.

Makes roughly 2-3 cups.





Tomato-Corn Salsa: 

2 medium rip tomatoes - chopped
2 c corn kernals
3/4 c cilantro or parsley - chopped
1 large shallot - chopped
juice of one lemon
1-3 jalapeño (optional) - chopped
salt
pepper

Chop the tomatoes, cilantro or parsley, shallot, jalapeño, and place in a large bowl. Add in the corn kernals, then the lemon juice. Mix together thoroughly. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste. If not serving right away keep covered and cool.


29 comments:

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I have a feeling I could just eat this salsa out of the bowl. Yum!

Parita said...

So simple and yummmy!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I had forgotten about corn in salsa... So simple, yet so good! :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Delicious... Love the combination of flavors!

chow and chatter said...

oh i want this for lunch!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks and sounds refreshing. I love your combination of flavors.

Pam said...

Simple and tasty. I love this salsa.

Bob said...

Ooo, I bet that would be great in an omelet. Or straight. Heh.

Anonymous said...

I like any salsa with corn in it. I liked that you used maple syrup and ginger for the mahi mahi. I've used specially made maple syrup infused with ginger on trout. Now I'm thinking that combo can be used on any fish.

Jenn said...

Tasty Eats: Hehe...

Parita, Mary, Pam: Thanks.

Andrea: ;-D

Jen: Me, too.

CC: I wish I made a bigger batch.

Bob: Omelete yes!!

Hummingbird: I've got to try the maple on trout.

Debbie said...

Delicious on the crostini....

Anonymous said...

Dear Jen. I see you are REFUSING to let summer go. I applaud you. :-)

OysterCulture said...

yummy fresh and simple that's what I love about your recipes. Looking forward to catching up on them all

lisaiscooking said...

Sounds delicious. Would be great with chips too!

KennyT said...

I can eat this every day

Jenn said...

Debbie, Oyster: Thanks.

Burpandslurp: I'm super ready to let summer go. It's just I still have summer produce. Might as well use them like it's still summer. Technically in LA it is.

Lisa: Indeed.

Kenny: Me, too.

theUngourmet said...

Here again I spy this scrumptious salsa! I love it on these little toasts!

Heather S-G said...

Gorgeous!! I am sooo feeling that corn. CHOMP :0

Mardi Michels said...

Simple, beautiful, clean flavours. Excellent recipe!

Sippity Sup said...

When you suggest a Salsa to liven up mu party, are you talking dancing? GREG

Thistlemoon said...

I love corn in salsa! Adds that perfect bot of sweetness to something so savory!

Reeni said...

So fresh and flavorful and delicious. Love it!

Diana H said...

My husband is a salsa fiend, this would hit the spot.

Jenn said...

Ungourmet, EatLive, Reeni: Thanks.

GirliChef: ;-D

Greg: Sure, that too. lol.

Jenn: I agree.

Diana: I'm sure the hubs would love this.

Paula - bell'alimento said...

Jenn, that looks divine! I know what I'll be making as an appetizer next time company is over ;) Grazie!

Jenn said...

Paula: Enjoy!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This looks great! It's like a beautiful nod to the end of summer:)

Jenn said...

Nutmeg: Thanks

muebles en madrid said...

It won't work in actual fact, that's exactly what I suppose.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger