Search Bread + Butter

Monday, October 5, 2009

Cinnamon Crepes



I've never made crepes before. I like the stuff, too. I figured I take a chance at trying to make it from scratch. It can't be that hard right? Crepes are the like French version of teh pancake. They're thin like paper but still tastes delicious when toppings are added like syrup or nutella with banana.

The best crepe recipe (here) I found was made by Alton Brown a la Good Eats. I just made some minor adjustments like adding some cinnamon and sugar into the mix as well as cutting the butter down a bit. I know I love butter, but I had too.

So I made the batter and prepared my little skillet. My first couple of tries didn't come out too pretty. The edges kept sticking to the dry areas of the pan and I'd end up tearing them into pieces. ILuckkily I had quite a bit of batter to try again. I ate those straight from the pan. I couldn't resist. Eventually, the more I made, the more I got the hang of it. Swirling the pan and gently flipping them to cook the other side. You have to work fairly quick as these are pretty thin compared to the American version of pancakes where it's fluffy and thick. They cook within seconds. I need a little more practice on the whole swirling trick, but I didn't do that bad.

After I made a good stack of them I drizzled a good amount of maple syrup and prepared myself. I didn't eat the whole batch. I did share. You can add toppings like fresh fruit, nuts, granola, syrup or my favorite...banana and nutella. *drool* Best to serve these babies warm.


Makes around 15 medium sized crepes.







Cinnamon Crepes
adapted from Alton Brown's Recipe via Food Network 

1 c flour
2 eggs
3/4 c milk
1/2 c water
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter - melted (plus extra for cooking)
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp almond or vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients together. (best to keep in the fridge)

Heat a skillet and coat it well with some butter.  Take a lade of the crepe mixture and pour it in the center of the skillet. Swirl the pan to spread the batter to your desired diameter and form into a thin pancake. When the batter looks dry (roughly 30 seconds), flip and cook the other side for an additional 10 seconds.

Remove from the skillet and place on a plate or board and cover with foil to keep them warm.

Serve them alone or with your choice of topping.


32 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Crepes always remind me of the summer I spent in France when I was young... These sound and look great!

tavolini said...

Yum!! Where's your nutella?! ;)

Anonymous said...

Great job! your crepes look excellent! I love the idea of the cinnamon flavor!

OysterCulture said...

Oh yum - this looks so good, and I can imagine how tasty it will taste with some of those fall apples

Pam said...

I love crepes. I usually just slather them with butter and powdered sugar (it is so good) but I am certain the cinnamon would be fantastic too.

Kim (@ Paper Apron) said...

Oh yeah, I'm with you on the banana and Nutella combination- but I have to admit I've never tried cinnamon in crepes and this sounds like a real treat.

Diana said...

I'm so impressed! I think it would be disaster if I ever attempted crepes. I sometimes can't even get my pancakes quite right!

Jenn said...

Andrea: I'd love to France one day.

TavoLini: I had the nutella on a separate stack of crepes. hehe...

5 star: Thanks.

Oyster: yes, the fall fruits would absolutely go great with this.

Pam: Mmm...I think I make just make some right now with just butter and powdered sugar.

Kim: give 'em a try they're pretty good.

Jenn said...

Diana: Thanks. You should give them a try. It's not too bad to make.

Bob said...

Those look wicked good. I love crepes, my dad used to make them when I was a kid.

teresa said...

so pretty! i always feel like i'm eating something really fancy when i eat a crepe, they look so good, especially with that cinnamon.

Dewi said...

My whole family adore crepes. Well done Jenn, love the flavor that you chose here.

Jenn said...

Bob: oh, the memories.

Teresa: hehe...

Elra: Thanks

zerrin said...

I remember my first experience with crepes now. It looks simple and easy, but I had to try it several times to have the aimed shape of it. This is the regular crepe we have in Turkey, thinner than pancakes.Perfect for breakfast! We ate it with jams. YUM!

Thistlemoon said...

I am really excited that you made these - they look awesome! Your photos are really great too!

Donna-FFW said...

Alton Browns recipes are wonderful. This sounds fantastic with the cinnamon!

Justin said...

you know, i LOVED crepes when i was a kid, but now i can't remember the last time i made one. hmmm.

theUngourmet said...

I don't remember if I've ever made crepes. Maybe once a very long time ago. I like that you put cinnamon in! Yum!

Sophia said...

yumm.....I LOVE crepes. They are my absolute favorite way to wrap anything. I prefer them savory, but yours sound amazing, too.

How many failed batches before the success? ;-)

Jenn said...

Zerrin: yeah the shaping of it was pretty hard.

Jenn: Thanks.

Donna: Yeah, AB is awesome.

Justin: I think it's time you make them again.

Ungourmet: The cinnamon was good in it.

Sophia: This was actually the first time and first batch I made. It was a big batch, too. So it gave me a few tries to get the whole swirly thing down.

Christo Gonzales said...

sweet or savory the crepe fills the bill...nice!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Now I'm hungry for crepes... and I like the idea of adding Nutella.

Jenn said...

doggy: Thanks.

Jen: yes, nutella on a crepe equals simple heaven.

Miranda said...

Beautiful crepes. I make these every once in awhile for breakfast. They are very time consuming, but worth it.

lisaiscooking said...

I've never made crepes! This makes me want to march right into the kitchen and give it a try.

Jamie said...

Beautiful crepes, especially for a first time! And I love the cinnamon-sugar flavoring. Perfect!

Jenn said...

Miranda: it's one of those you really have to take some time with.

Lisa: You should. They're really fun to make.

jamie: Thanks.

Teanna said...

Oooohhh cinnamon crepes! I am a huge fan of anything cinnamon and I've never thought of having it in a crepe! Gorgeous idea!

Jenn said...

Teanna: Give it a go. It's good.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

When I was in Germany they would sell these on the street. My favorite was a mix of nutella, cinnamon, sugar and bananas...yum!

Jenn said...

Nutmeg: I'd love to visit Germany just for that. lol.

test it comm said...

I really like the sound of simple cinnamon crepes! I like all of that cinnamon in them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger