Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Spinach Dip



I love to get Trader Joe's brand of spinach dip. It's been a while since I've gotten it and I've been craving for some for quite sometime now. It just so happens that I had bought a bundle of fresh spinach from farmer's market, so this gave me the push to try making my own. Have I mentioned that I love spinach dip? I like to snack on it as a sandwich between some slices of toast or with some crackers.

It's a simple recipe. A lot that I have seen use mayo and sour cream. I used some plain yogurt instead of sour cream for mine. The rest of the ingredients are pretty straight forward. Mayo, water chestnuts, some dry herbs and fresh chopped spinach. You can use frozen, too. The key to this is to let it sit. Like you would for coleslaw. It's to help blend all the flavors together and really let marinate the spinach well. You want every sing nook and cranny of the spinach to really be fused with the flavors of the herbs, mayo and yogurt. It's definitely worth the wait. Trust me because the taste is amazing. Serve it on some bread or crackers. Perfect for parties and gatherings.

Makes roughly 4 cups.




Spinach Dip

1 lb fresh spinach or 1 pack frozen (rinsed and squeezed of excess water)
1 c light mayo
1 c plain greek yogurt
1small can water chestnuts (drained well and roughly chopped)
1 dry parsley
1/2 tsp dry oregano
1/2 tsp dry basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder


Combine all ingredients together. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. Best if made ahead of time.


30 comments:

Heather S-G said...

mmmm...when oh when will we get a Trader Joe's in my area!? This sounds like a great dip...I love dips. LOL..I love dips...how silly does that sound :D

tavolini said...

oooh--I actually have all the ingredients for this :)

Spinach dip for dinner!

Anonymous said...

Love spinach dip!

Unknown said...

I love spinach dip, too. Yours looks great!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I used to make spinach dip all the time, but I haven't made it in years. Love your recipe!

Pari Vasisht said...

Jenn, this is so good and so healthy. Will any day prefer yogurt than the sour cream. I have not tried the spinach in the dip, ur version is very inviting dear.

Unknown said...

Love spinach dip. Don't know why they dont sell it in the UK, but now with your recipe i can make my own :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

I should be ashamed to admit this, but I have for years made and loved Knorr spinach dip. Now that I'm a big girl I guess it's time to make the real thing :-). This sounds like a lovely dip.

OysterCulture said...

Yum, this looks like the perfect dip as an appetizer for the upcoming holidays

Anonymous said...

I like your use of yogurt and the addition of chestnuts, very yummy!

Phyllis said...

Doesn't homemade always just taste better? Although I have to admit that I'm really tempted to head to my newly-opened Trader Joes right now!

chow and chatter said...

yum, great snack

Mardi Michels said...

So easy! Inspired me to make my own this weekend too!

Jenn said...

girlichef: I hope they open one in your area. It's one of my favorite markets.

TavoLini: Woohoo!!

Hummingbird, Valley, Pari, 5 star, CC: Thanks.

Andrea: I think it's time you whip some up, right?

HH, Oyster, Mardi: Agreed.

Mary: hehe...There's no shame in that.

Phyllis: Do it. You'll see what I mean. I love their ready made foods.

Esi said...

I am obsessed with that spinach dip from TJs. It's probably better to make it yourself though. This sounds great.

Dewi said...

That sounds scrumptious jenn. Love spinach dip.

Bob said...

I've never had TJs spinach dip, but yours sounds great!

The Duo Dishes said...

Those chestnuts are good for crunch. Never had that in the dip before. Someone mentioned spinach dip for dinner, and that is totally a good idea too.

Thistlemoon said...

I love that dip too! But I think yours looks even better than the TJ's brand!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum... Spinach dip is one of my favorites. Looks so tasty.

Diana H said...

Would fresh chopped chard work as well? I love fresh spinach.

zerrin said...

The season of spinach has just arrived here. I often make a similar dip minus mayo and chestnuts. I must absolutely try them next time.

Jenn said...

Esi: I agree.

Elra, Jenn, Jen: Thanks.

Bob: You should try it. It's so good.

Duo, zerrin: ;-D

Diana: I can't of a reason why is wouldn't work. Give it a try.

Rylan said...

I'd love to try this one. I usually but mines pre made and this would be a great way to make my own.

I've never heard of greek yogurt though, hopefully I find one.

Thanks for sharing!

theUngourmet said...

I love spinach dip too. I don't remember ever trying Trader Joe's dip. I'll have to go on a hunt for it. I think the addition of the water chestnuts is an excellent idea!

Joie de vivre said...

I lived on spinach dip in college. But the yucky store bought kind, nothing this wonderful looking. Thanks so much for visiting Jenn!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Spinach dip is one of my favorite things in the world! My favorite is pairing it with Hawaiian bread....yum!

Reeni said...

I love this spinach dip! You made it so healthy! I bet it's fantastic!

Jenn said...

Rylan: You can find the yogurt at regular grocery stores. Oikos is a good brand. I think that's found in Whole Foods.

Ungourmet: Thanks.

Joie: You're welcome.

Nutmeg: oo...Hawaiian bread yum!

Reeni: Thanks.

Unknown said...

oooh man, how i totally love spinach dip!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger