Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Easy Corn Chowder



I guess I've had my fair share of corny recipes this summer. (No pun intended, or maybe I did) I love a good bowl of chowder. Clam, corn, chicken. I'll take it. I was doing a little search on how to make chowders and a lot of them contained quite a lot of ingredients. I just wanted a basic simple easy way to make it without having to buy any pre-made canned stuff or other ingredients I really didn't have the budget for at the time. Basically, all I had was corn and onion. Very limited. So I came to to conclusion to just wing it. I mixed and matched to see what I thought fit best.

I started out by cooking the onion in a little bit of butter then making a simple roux of it. The soup pretty much came together from there. Add the milk and chicken stock, along with some dry herbs. you can use vegetable stock, if you'd like to make this vegetarian. You can also add seafoods, meats, veggies. It's all optional.

The end result is a nice and not overly thick soup with some corny goodness.  I wish I had some sourdough bread bowls though. Oh well. Next time. I'm content with my homemade pan de sal.

Serves 2-3




Easy Corn Chowder

1 12 oz can chicken stock or 2 cups water with 1-2 chicken boullion cube (or vegetable stock)
1 1/2 c corn
1/2 medium onion - finely chopped
2 Tbsp Flour
1 1/2 c milk
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp dry basil
1 Tbsp dry oregano
salt
pepper

optionals:
1 celery stalk - chopped
1-2 potatoes - chopped or cubed
1 large carrot - chopped
1 c cooked seafoods or meats
bread bowls


In a pot, melt the butter and saute the onion until tender on medium to high heat. This will make a roux to help thicken the soup.

Then add the flour. Combine until slightly clumpy. Add the milk and stir to combine until milk becomes slightly thick. Then add the chicken stock. Stir occasionally until soup thickens. Once thick, lower the heat and bring the soup to a simmer.

Add in the, corn, basil and oregano. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste.

Best served warm.

For the optionals:
Add the celery carrot and potatoes. Let it cook until tender on medium heat.

To add meats or seafoods, cook in the butter first, then them remove from the pot. Continues by making the roux and so on. Add the meats or seafoods back into the pot once the soup has thickened.


36 comments:

figtree said...

I love corn chowder..one of my favorites! Figtreeapps

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Yum! :)

Unknown said...

Looks great - and I love that you did it with basic ingredients you had on hand.

Heather S-G said...

I do love a good bread bowl...but any kind of bread to mop up this delicious soup would be perfect :D Looks delish.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love that you have given us a small scale recipe. I love corn chowder and could eat it once a week. Yours looks delicious.

Pam said...

Comforting, hearty and tasty - that's my kind of soup.

Dewi said...

Corn chowder sounds perfect for chilly fall night!

Bob said...

Looks good to me. My girlfriend loves chowder, I bet I could get some brownie points for making this. ;)

OysterCulture said...

ok, its always a toss up which recipe I can make first but I'm telling you this is moving to the top of my list

foodcreate said...

Delicious :)


Have a wonderful Day ~~~

Jenn said...

figtree: cool.

Andrea, ValleyWriter, Pam, foodcreate: Thanks.

girlichef: True. I agree.

Mary: I could chowder once a week, too.

Elra: Indeed.

Bob: You'll definitely win brownie points. hehe...

Oyster: The never ending list. lol.

Unknown said...

mmmm....corn. I've never had corn chowder. no particular reason. I think I need to fix that error in my ways. Lovely soup you have there :)

Justin said...

oh yeah, sourdough would have been nice. good bread for dipping is so important to me when making soup... i still have to write about the bread i made to go with that shrimp soup i wrote about the other day. now that it's getting colder here, chowder sounds good.

Thistlemoon said...

Looks great! I love chowder too!

Debbie said...

Corn chowder is such a comfort soup...so good!

theUngourmet said...

This looks like a really nice recipe. I've been craving chowder lately!

Jenn said...

Danielle: There's always a first for everything.

Justin: Yeah. I'm the same way. Bread is just as important to me as the soup.

Jenn: thanks.

Debbie: It is.

Ungourmet: I think this meant it's time for you to make some chowder.

Christo Gonzales said...

I love any kind of chowder - this corny delight looks delightful!

lisaiscooking said...

A quick corn chowder sounds great! I like that it's a little lighter without potatoes too.

tavolini said...

Yum--that sounds simple and I like the options section :)

Unknown said...

What a comforting dish for a rainy day!

Diana said...

Random tangental revelation from me -- The clam chowder bread bowls at Disneyland were always my favorite thing to get for dinner there. That is all.

Phyllis said...

loving the chowder and your puns :)

Donna-FFW said...

I love that this is so easy to make and the final result so delicious!

Jenn said...

doggy: :-D

Lisa: It definitely is.

TavoLini: Make it as you like.

HH: I agree.

Diana: lol. They are pretty tasty. I remember getting those, too.

Phyllis: lol.

Donna: Easy is good.

Lana said...

Great recipe, Jenn. You could take this one in lots of different directions as you pointed out. For me, I'd dump in some lump crab or shrimp. Yummy!

The Duo Dishes said...

Mmm sourdough bowls. Nice! It's a good time to tweak corn now that most of our sweeter pickings are gone or almost gone.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Your chowder sounds delicious. Corn chowder is one of my favorites! :)

Anonymous said...

Mmm... corn chowder sounds wonderful, would love it in a bread bowl!

Jenn said...

Lana: definitely!!

Duo: that means you need to make some.

Jen: ;-)

5 star: definitely. Bread bowls are yum!!

Cookin' Canuck said...

What a simple delicious recipe! This is a great way to highlight sweet corn.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This soup looks delicious! It's a bit of Summer and a bit of Fall all wrapped into one:)

Jenn said...

Cookin': ;-D

Nutmeg: Yes, indeed.

Reeni said...

I love simple soups like this. It looks so creamy and delicious!

Jenn said...

Reeni: :-D

www.inmobiliaria.cn said...

I saw so much useful data in this post!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger