Search Bread + Butter

Monday, October 12, 2009

Baked Green Bean Fritters with Onion Dip



Fritter critter as I like to call these little thing.This is actually my attempt at making a baked version of some green bean fritters. I'm surprise that it actually turned out pretty good. It's like the green beans were roasted like it baked in the batter. Though, not the shape I would have liked and I do think that I made the batter was a little bit too thin also. I'd also chop up the green bean a little more rather than cutting them into 2-inch sticks. Don't worry I adjusted my recipe below in case you decide to give this a try.  It's pretty easy to make.

I paired it it an onion dip somewhat reminiscent of a french onion dip. I had sauteed some minced onion just close enough to where they started to caramelize, then I tossed them into some sour cream and added herbs as well.

Not necessarily a combination you'd find out there, but I really liked it.Another good snack or appetizer to add to the list.

Makes 13-15 fritters.




Baked Green Bean Fritters

1 lb green beans - fresh or frozen
Onion dip (recipe below)

Batter:
1 1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 c milk
1 tsp garlic powder

In a bowl, combine the ingredients in the batter and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.

If using fresh green beans, wash and remove ends. Chop them into half inch pieces.

Mix the green beans into the batter and pour onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.

Baked for 15-20 minutes or until the edges had turned a golden brown.

Serve warm.




Onion Dip
1/2 c sweet onion - minced
1/2 c sour cream
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp dry parsley
1 tsp dry thyme
salt
pepper
extra virgin olive oil

In a skillet, heat a little olive oil. Add the onions and caramelize them. You want them just until they reach a golden brown color. Remove from heat and let cool for a couple minutes.

In a bowl, mix together the sour cream, parsley, thyme, lemon juice. Then add thr onions. Season with a little salt and pepper.

Chill in the fridge if not serving immediately.



21 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

uy,kakaiba ito. It looks delicious, healthy and i'm sure masarap kainin while watching tv...

Unknown said...

Well maybe if you aren't happy with the shape, but you like the taste, since its a baked item, mabye you can bake it in a little muffin cup or something.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

These are a great idea! I think they look very pretty... And I love the onion dip.

Divina Pe said...

That's very creative and interesting. I could replace the potato chips with this one already.

Anonymous said...

wow this sounds really really good!! I love onion dip and green beans. never would have thought to combine the two :)

Pam said...

Aren't you so clever! These look fantastic.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is really different and very clever. They look great.

chow and chatter said...

oh wow these are cool

theUngourmet said...

These are really interesting and creative! I bet they were just great with the onion dip.

Jenn said...

Peachkins: it's a great snack.

HH: good idea on the muffin cups.

Andrea, Pam, Mary, CC, : thanks.

Divina: :)

Peanutbutter: they match well together.

Ungourmet: they were.

Anonymous said...

Very cool idea to make green bean fritters! Sounds delicious with the onion dip!

Anonymous said...

cool! I love green beans!

Sanghi said...

Wow.. delicious!

Sophia said...

This is definitely the first time I've ever heard or seen green bean fritters. Amazing!

Jenn said...

5 star, sanghi: Thanks.

Hummingbird: ;-D

Sophia: Give it a try.

Reeni said...

You were definitely thinking outside the box on this one. They are so unique! I love them!

OysterCulture said...

these just look like some yummy snacks - cannot wait to try.

Jenn said...

Reeni: Thanks.

Oyster: ;-D

pigpigscorner said...

wow very interesting use of green beans. looks great!

Jenn said...

pigpig: Thanks.

Tabitha Teeter said...

The onion dip is awesome. This is a great way to eat green beans. I didn't taste the beans much, but the dip made my 15-month old keep asking for more.

Thanks for posting. These were unique and tasty.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger