Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Banana Oat Surprise



I've been in a bread making mode lately with all the different variations of bread. So I decided to revert bake to my first inspiration ot start making bread. The tried-and-true Banana bread. For this go around, I added some oats and a little surprise in the middle. That surprise is some chocolate-y goodness in the form on nutella. You can use regular milk chocolate bars as well.

From the outside you'd think it was just a regular ol' banana bread. But no...inside is a little treat. Rather than mashing the banana like most recipes do, I cut them in to thin coin slices. Making is full of banana chunks. Poured half the batter into the loaf mold when laid down two chunky strips of nutella from end to end. That way each slice of bread has a yummy treat. Topped it with the other half of the batter. Baked it, then accidentally burnt my finger in the excitement of wanting to get that first slice.  The cool thing about it is that the nutella stays creamy even after baking. Finger lickin' good. You bite into it...yummy!

Makes 1 loaf





Banana Oat Bread Surprise

1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c unsalted butter or margarine
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 c oats
2 c flour
4 tbsp nutella or 1 regular sized chocolate bar (milk or dark)
3 ripe bananas - thinly sliced

Preheat your oven to 350˚F

Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt.

In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Then beat in each egg. The slowly mix in the flour mixture.

Fold in the bananas and oats.

Pour half the batter into a lightly greased loaf pan. Then take the nutella or chocolate bar and and place them in the two rows from on end to the other. After top with the other half of the batter.

Bake in the oven for 60 min or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Let it cool for several minutes before removing from pan.


22 comments:

Nithya said...

wow... Thats such a creative and yummy surprise.

Unknown said...

Great job on the banana bread. This week i tried a new banana bread recipie and it turned out crap. It went into the garbage. Yours sounds like its full of goodies :).

Divina Pe said...

What a nice surprise. I love the smell of bananas. It's time to make another batch but this time I'll be using your recipe.

Debbie said...

Looks very good. In fact, I just bought a jar of Nutella!

Reeni said...

This sounds positively delicious with the Nutella! And I love oats for baking - such a nice flavor.

OysterCulture said...

evilly good with the nutella - that's what I love the sinful surprises =)

Mary Bergfeld said...

...and it is a lovely surprise. Bananas and Nutella are hard to beat in my book. Thanks for a very nice recipe.

Miranda said...

Yum. There is nothing better then homemade bread, except homemade bread with Nutella. Well done. It looks fantastic.

Danielle said...

Thats a great bread! mmmm for the banana and nutella!!!!!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum!! Fantastic idea to add some Nutella to the banana bread.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I LOVE banana bread with Nutella! I wish I had a slice to eat right now... :)

Diana H said...

I like the idea of adding both nutella and oats. It gives the bread a little extra something.

theUngourmet said...

Mmm! I love the yummy Nutella surprise inside this bread!

teresa said...

normally i'm not into surprises, but i could totally get behind this! delicious! i love your green bean fritters too!

vanillasugarblog said...

I love banana bread, and I use the leftovers as french toast. yes indeed

Jenn said...

Nithya, Divina, reeni: thanks.

HH: Give it another try.

Debbie: woohoo...

Oyster, Danielle:;-)

Mary: You're welcome.

Miranda, Diana: I agree.

Jen: Thanks

Andrea: me, too.

Ungourmet: ;-)

Teresa: thanks.

Dawn: Mmm...french toast.

The Duo Dishes said...

Looks a tiny bit like the panda bread with little Nutella eyes.

Maria said...

Great bread recipe. Thanks!

Jenn said...

Duo: hehe...

maria: You're welcome!

lisaiscooking said...

I like the idea of banana chunks in the bread, and the nutella sounds great!

pigpigscorner said...

Love the surprise!!

Jenn said...

Lisa: Thanks.

pigpig: ;-D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger