Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mr. Frenchy's Crunchy Casserole



I don't know anyone by the name Mr. Frenchy. If one does exist, then I say g'day...er...night to them  (depending if and when they read this). There's one place I like to frequent for breakfast or brunch. It's called Fred 62 in the Los Angeles, around the Los Feliz/Hollywood area. It's a hip little spot that's open 24hrs. Go there at 3am and get yourself some awesome food like their mac and cheese balls or the veggie royale sandwich. One of breakfast items I like to order is a Breaded Mr. Frenchy, which is a couple thick french toast slices with a crunchy cereal coating and a side of maple syrup. Really simple and super good.

Lately, I've been craving french toast. I liked the concept of the crunchy french toast, but most of the french toast I've had had always been pan-fried. I wanted to see what it would taste like baked. I actually tried making this several months back, only to have it turn out as an EPIC FAIL. How epic? Let just say it was bland, too mushy, seriously lacking in the flavor department, and a waste of good bread. I still forced myself to eat it as I don't like to throw things away. I thought I did everything right in terms of making french toast. I was disappointed, but vowed to try again one day. Just let me get over this little episode and I'm good to go. As the saying goes, "there's no use crying over spilled milk."


This time around I made some changes to the batter recipe. I used a pan de sal baguette that I had made earlier and cut them into 3/4-inch slices then prepared the batter with eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla. Soaked the bread good and tossed them in a casserole dish and topped with some crushed cornflakes. My choice was Honey Bunches of Oats with almonds. You know what? I did it!! A success. Not too sweet, the crunchy factor was spot on with just the right texture to the bread. The second time was the winner. So say hello to Mr. Frenchy's alter ego with a dollop of butter and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Serve 2-4




Mr. Frenchy's Crunchy Casserole


1 french demi-baguette - 3/4 inch slices
            or 4-6 slices of your choice of bread - cut into strips
2 eggs
1/3 c milk
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 c Cornflakes (preferred: Honey Bunches of Oats) - lightly crushed
1 tsp butter (plus extra for serving)
syrup (your choice)
1 9-inch deep dish casserole or pie tin


Preheat your oven to 400˚F
 
Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, milk and cinnamon. Set aside.

Lightly butter the casserole or pie tin including the edges. Then take 1/2 c off the crushed cereal and sprinkle it evenly across the bottom.

Soak the pieces of bread in the batter for at least 1 minute. Soak them real good. The strategically place them in the casserole or pie tin. Top with the remaining cereal and place in the oven for 15-18 minutes until cornflakes are toasted.

Let it cool for 2 minutes before cutting. Serve warm with tiny dollop butter and a drizzle of syrup.


31 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

What an interesting variation on French Toast! This would be nice for breakfast right about now... ;)

Anonymous said...

This would be a perfect breakfast at my house! We love French Toast and the cereal of choice is Honey Bunches of Oats plus my daughter loves everything crunchy! Excellent!

vanillasugarblog said...

YUM! Love this girl. You get so clever at times.

Miranda said...

looks yummy. my girls would love it!!

Unknown said...

That crunch topping looks excellent! This is so creative. I am always surprised how you manage to come up with so much original stuff.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is a great variation on French toast.

Pam said...

I am glad you tried again - it looks fantastic!

Bob said...

Love it! It's even better that you tried once, failed and tried again and did it. That's one of the best things. :)

Danielle said...

mmm that looks soooo good! I've never had anything like that before! Can't wait to try it!

teresa said...

this is such a fun breakfast! my family would go nuts for this!

Diana said...

That looks incredible!!! I love crispy French toast. :) If you like peanut butter, I suspect you would adore the peanut butter bubba French toast at the Griddle in Hollywood. It's intense, but well worth the indulgence.

theUngourmet said...

Well Hello Mr. Frenchy! Why dontcha come on over to my house and let me gobble you up!

My kids would love this too! :D

Sarah said...

Delicious, simple, crunchy and sweet. Four of my favorite things!

Jenn said...

Andrea, Bob: I agree.

5 Star: Perfect!.

Dawn, HH, Mary, Pam: Thanks.

Miranda, Teresa: They sure would.

Danielle: Enjoy!!

Diana: I've been to the Griddle. I love that place, too.

Ungourmet: lol.

Sarah: :-)

Debbie said...

Oh that looks just so delicious. I would love to try that right NOW!

tavolini said...

YUM!! How neat--I've never heard of french toast done this way, but it sounds fantastic!

Admin said...

Am bookmarking this for a potential brunch party. Looks great.

Unknown said...

Well...first thing that came to my "old" mind was mr french from Family Affair....then I googled Mr Frenchy, and well...there is an urban def. but I think Donna would enjoy talking about that one! LOL

Anyways...this crunchy casserole looks so good and interesting. I'm gonna have to check out Fred 62.

Mardi Michels said...

The perfect breakfast - crunchy and soft and great flavours!!!

OysterCulture said...

I knew I should not have peeked at your blog just before dinner - there should be a warning sign posted

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum... looks delicious! I can't wait to give this one a try!

Reeni said...

This looks awesome!! Love that topping!!

chow and chatter said...

oh wow this looks amazing Jenn love the name of it as well

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Jenn this looks great! My belly is getting hungry looking at this delicious meal:)

Jenn said...

Teresa, Leela, Nutmeg: ;-D

TavoLini: Give it try.

Danielle: You should. It's a great place to eat.

Mardi, Reeni, CC: Thanks.

Oyster: lol.

Jen: Enjoy!

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi Jenn. I guess I am first time here.The Mr. frenchy looks very inviting, would love to try. The idea of baking sounds too good.
Do drop by, would love to hear from you.
http://cooking-goodfood.blogspot.com
Pari

Heather S-G said...

Nice to meet you Mr. Frenchy...would you like to come over to my house? :D

pigpigscorner said...

Oh wow, you brought french toast to another level! The coating sounds awesome!

Jenn said...

Pari: Thanks for stopping by.

girlichef: lol.

pigpig: I did indeed.

Muneeba said...

I do like a story with a happy ending ;) ... I've tried a baked french toast recipe too, and hated it .. so never bothered going back for a second shot. But you've given me the willpower to persevere!

Jenn said...

muneeba: Why not give it another go.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger