Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Baked Kabocha



I know two kabocha recipes in a row. But I couldn't let this sit and wait. Call me pumpkin head, if you want, because I'm crazy for the stuff. It's been cracked open and it's whispering "eat me." "Sure thing," I happily reply. I've been seeing a lot of roasted pumpkins and squashes lately. A couple examples over at Girlichef (here) and For the Love of Cooking (here). I've decided to jump on the bandwagon. Why, you ask? Well because I want to and I had the other half kabocha from when I made that kabocha bread in the fridge giving me the puppy dog eyes.

This is one really simple. I quartered the remaining kabocha and generously spread some butter on the top and gave it a nice generous sprinkle of some brown sugar. Baked it until it was tender. That's all there is too it. Nothing else to do but sit and wait. Fee free to change up the brown sugar for spices and herbs of your choice. But for my version the sweet melted syrupy sugar with bites of pumpkin a simple awesome weeknight dinner. Yummy!

Serves 4




Roasted Kabocha

1 medium kabocha (deseeded and quartered)
butter
brown sugar

Preheat your oven to 400˚F

Spread a good about of butter on the flesh of the kabocha and sprinkle a generous helping of brown sugar on top.

Place on a baking sheet and bake until tender. roughly 45-60 minutes.


26 comments:

figtree said...

Im going to buy a kabocha today! You inspired me!

Joy said...

Congrats on top 9! I've never had kabocha but now I am determined to try. Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of kabocha. But I love squash & pumpkin, so I'll have to be on the lookout! Thanks for the introduction ;)

tavolini said...

Everyone loves this squash :)

I've got a giant butternut staring me in the face every evening...still pondering what flavors I want to use it with. This look easy and delicious!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Mmmmmmmm I love Fall meals! I also love that it's simple and delicious. Two very good combination's!

Unknown said...

This could be a fab thanksgiving side!

Debbie said...

Oh yes...that looks totally delicious!

Pam said...

This looks wonderful! I've never had kabocha before.

Banana Wonder said...

Mmm love the kombach with a lil brown suga! Would make a great brekkie too.

Sippity Sup said...

I am in Seattle and they have one of these sitting on the counter at the house where I am staying. I think baked squash is in order tonight. GREG

Bianca said...

I've never had kabocha but those recipes have done a great job at intriguing me even more!

teresa said...

oh yummy! i could eat this as a meal all by itself!

Diana said...

You never have to worry about me raising my eyebrows at another kabocha recipe. The quinoa queen never judges!

This looks great!

marianne said...

i had never even heard of a kabocha when one suddenly grew in my garden. i'm so glad i found you and your recipes! another foodbuzz success story.

Esi said...

I still need to try kabocha! This looks like a good way to start.

Jenn said...

figtree, debbie: ;-D

Joy, nutmeg: Thanks.

Valley: It's just like a regular pumpkin, but the Japanese variety.

TavoLini: Mmmm...I haven't had butternut squash yet this season. I'm hoping they'll have some at the farmer's market.

HH: indeed.

Pam: Try it. It's really good.

Anna: agreed.

Greg: woohoo!!

Bianca: You're welcome.

Teresa: That's what I did.

Diana: lol. Good I'm glad.

marianne: Thanks. ;-D

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Looks & sounds delicious! I'm totally into baking/roasting veggies right now! :)

Screamin' Mama said...

Looks delicious! I've never had one before. Yum!

Fresh Local and Best said...

I love kabocha squash, it's so sweet and filling!

Lauren said...

I keep seeing kobacha on blogs and it looks so good! i haven't seen it around here though. :(

Jenn said...

Andrea: roasted veggies rule!

Screamin': Give it a try.

Fresh local: I agree.

LK: I'd be glad to send you one. It's so good.

lisaiscooking said...

A simple roasted squash with brown sugar is delicious! It's like the squash does all the work by sitting there and having great flavor.

Jenn said...

Lisa: Thanks.

OysterCulture said...

Sounds like heaven, but I just love kapocha in all its forms.

Jenn said...

Oyster: Same here.

successwithusana said...

So, I do not really imagine this is likely to have success.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger