Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Roasted BroccoBean in Garlic Browned Butter Sauce



There's no such thing as a broccobean. But wouldn't it be cool if there was? What would it look like? Would it have the florets of the broccoli with the thin body of the green bean? What about the taste? We can only imagine. Let ponder that for a moment. ...  ... Ok, back to out regularly schedule recipe.

Whatever it may be, the broccoli and green beans are the stars of this dish. Slightly accentuated by the browned butter sauce. It actually reminds me of a garlic broccoli dish I would always get from Whole Foods. I would be happy with a small to-go box of that from their hot foods section. I tossed the vegetable in some extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika. To put a little kick to it, I spiked it with a teeny bit of tobasco. While that roasted, I made the sauce. The key is to let the butter cool after removing from the skillet before adding the garlic. Or else it will cook and burn pretty quick. No need to go to Whole Foods to get the garlic broccoli. I can now make it at home.

Serves 2




Roasted BroccoBean with Almonds in Garlic Browned Butter Sauce
1 lb green bean - rinsed with ends removed
1 head of broccoli or one small frozen bag.
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp tobasco
1/4 c sliced almonds
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
garlic-almond browned butter sauce (recipe below)
shredded cheese topping - optional

Preheat your oven to 375˚F

Toss the green beans and broccoli in a light drizzle of olive oil. Season with some salt, pepper, and paprika. Add the tobasco as well. You may add more to your liking.

Place the green beans and broccoli on a foil-lined baking pan and roast for 25-30 minutes.

When roasted toss it with the garlic-almond browned butter sauce, add the almonds and serve.




Garlic Browned Butter Sauce
3-4 Tbsp butter
2-3 large garlic cloves - finely chopped

In a saucepan, melt the butter.  Heat it until it begins to foam. Carefully remove the top foamy layer, then transfer the melted butter into a small bowl and let it cool for 2 minutes. Then add the chopped garlic. Let it sit for for 5-10 minutes before serving.


19 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

What a wonderful side dish this would be.. I love the combination of the 2 veggies, and the sauce sounds delicious! Almonds on top even better.

Unknown said...

I love it that you added the almonds. Yummy!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Spicy, garlicky, buttery - awesome! And combining broccoli & beans is an awesome idea!

zerrin said...

I use these two veggies so often, but never cooked them together. It sounds like a great treat with a bowl of yogurt near it.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I'm a huge fan of brown butter but mixed with garlic has to make a million times better! I love that you mixed two of my favorite vegetables together....yum!

s. stockwell said...

We always like to try your ideas. This one would be good as a side dish for Thanksgiving for sure. best from Montecito, CA

teresa said...

i am all about that garlic butter, what a yummy dish!

theUngourmet said...

I would love broccobeans! I love the sliced almonds in this. Nice!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a great combo. There is an Asian broccoli that you might want to keep your eyes open for. This is a great recipe.

alecho said...

I like how you topped it with almonds! crunchy and slight sweetness! nice!

Jenn said...

Donna: I agree.

HH, Andrea, Teresa, ungourmet, alecho: Thanks.

Zerrin: Now you know for next time.

Nutmeg: Sooo good!!

S. Stockwell: This is definitely perfect for thanksgiving.

Mary: I think I've seen them before.

Fresh Local and Best said...

This looks like a terrific recipe! Broccoli and beans go so well with garlic butter!

Simply Life said...

Oh this sounds great!

lisaiscooking said...

The browned butter gets my attention, and the almonds on top are great! Sounds delicious.

Reeni said...

This sounds so delicious! Love that sauce and the almonds!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

You had me so excited when I saw this... I honestly thought that there was a broccobean, and I had been missing out all of this time! Good idea to combine the two - sounds tasty!

Mae said...

Beautiful and simple - I like the term "BroccoBean", too. :) I just did a 3 ingredient challenge and this would almost qualify - utterly delish without tons of ingredients needed!

nihaty said...

Many of the necessary vitamins are found in garlic as a natural antibiotic and food should be consumed in more than gives great flavor

Carmelita Cookitaly said...

I like broccoli and bean combination very much, and the sliced almonds on top great, but for me, no garlic browned butter.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger