Search Bread + Butter

Monday, November 2, 2009

Baked Potato Cassserole



With Thanksgiving approaching here in the US, I figured I'd get a little head start as to what I might be making for that day. I've been thinking about what I will be cooking up on that day. How many dishes, which one I'll have to make in advance, which I'll have to make first thing on the day of.

Rather than going to a traditional mashed potato, I figured I'd give a baked potato with a twist a try. It's similar to making mash potato except that it's filled with the baked potato goodness of sour cream, cheese, and onion (or green onion). Topped with more cheesy goodness on top. Must not forget about the butter, too. What you see before is what happens when mashed meets baked. Oh, you can add bacon, too. I would have put it in this, but i didn't have any left. I'll be sure to pile on the bacon bits on Thanksgiving.



Cheesy goodness with every bite. It looks like a mess in the casserole, but every single mouthful is worth it. I had it with some walnut salad.

Serves 2-3




Baked Potato Casserole

9 baby potatoes or 2 large russet potatoes (rinsed and peeled)
1 c shredded cheese (plus extra for topping)
2-3 Tbsp Sour Cream
1/2 medium sweet onion chopped or 2-3 green onion stalks chopped
1/4 c milk
2 Tbsp sour cream
1 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper
bacon bits (optional)

Boil the potatoes in a pot until tender. A knife should pierce through without hesitation.

Preheat your oven to 425˚F

Mash the potatoes with a masher ricer orr food processor.

In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, onions, sour cream, cheese, milk, and butter. Mix well. Season with a little salt and pepper. Mix in the optional bacon bits as well.

Transfer the mixture into a lightly greased casserole. Bake for 25 minutes. Just before removing, top the casserole with some extra cheese and leave for another 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted.

Serve warm.


23 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Potatoes, cheese, sour cream... Sounds absolutely delicious!

Heather S-G said...

Yum...I can just feel it in my belly!! But yes, more bacon! LOL :D

Justin said...

interesting, my potato casseroles usually like chunkier or more firm... yours looks totally different, but yummy

Tangled Noodle said...

Let's face it: Thanksgiving is all about the potato, not the turkey (at least, it is for me!) My mashed potatoes last night now seems downright anemic compared to the flavors of your casserole. Thank you for adding the salad - otherwise, I'd go into carb overload!

Anonymous said...

This would be a great Thanksgiving side dish! I like that you are using baked potato here.

Maggie Ha said...

YUMMM!! Perfect for winter! I love the ooey gooey cheese :)

tavolini said...

My mom makes something very similar to this, except she uses cream cheese. Very delicious! Makes me hungry for Thanksgiving :)

Sippity Sup said...

I think you have just invented another T-Day classic. GREG

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds kinda good! There is nothing but goodness in this recipe and it looks delicious.

teresa said...

oh my gosh, it looks so creamy and delicious! i love this!

Pam said...

This looks like heaven on a dish. Bookmarked.

pigpigscorner said...

It looks so cheesy and creamy!! yum!!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Mmmmmmm delicious and creamy. Perfect for Thanksgiving!

lisaiscooking said...

This sounds divine! I could enjoy a very big helping of these potatoes.

KennyT said...

That's interesting, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in HK.

Jenn said...

Thanks everyone.

Tangled: I agree. Forget everything else. It's all about the mashed potato. I try to balance it out when I can. ;-D

Kenny: It's not too late to start you won Thanksgiving.

alecho said...

It got everything I like... potatoes... cheese... sour cream... and absolute yummy-ness.

Fresh Local and Best said...

This looks very yummy!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Sounds very, very tasty... I love baked potatoes, so I'm sure this will be a winner!

Reeni said...

What a good idea! I love this! So comforting and so yummy!

Unknown said...

ooooh...its like twice baked potatoes without the skin and having to fill all those skins. I put sliced green onion in mine :)

theUngourmet said...

Oh my gosh, this looks so rich, cheesy and GOOD! I can't resist potatoes this way!

Bread and Jam said...

The cold weather has set in here and all I am craving is comfort food so this casserole is calling my name. I have even taken left over spoonfuls of this and fried them into potato pancakes. SO good!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger