Search Bread + Butter

Monday, November 9, 2009

Kabocha Bread




Tis the season for pumpkins of many kinds. So many pumpkin recipes that I can't get enough of. I had gotten another kabocha from the farmers market and I already have another one waiting patiently and eagerly to be used. Well suffice to day, I was clueless as to what I wanted to make with it. But I wanted my pumpkin!!

For this one I adapted by banana bread recipe once again and added some pureed kabocha to the mix as well as ground cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg. I also replaced half of the granulated sugar with brown sugar. Awesome delicious pumpkin bread with almond slices that's perfectly fit for the season. You know I just realized that the recipe is pretty adaptable to almost anything you can put into it.

Makes 1 loaf




Kabocha Bread

1/2c granulated sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c unsalted butter (softened)
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 c sliced almonds
1 c pureed kabocha or canned pumpkin puree

--
To puree fresh kabocha or pumpkin:
heat in the microwave for 5 minutes. The slice in half. Heat for another five minutes to cook until tender. Let it cool for several minutes before handling. Scoop out the flesh and into the food processor or blender. blend until smooth. You may also mash them, if you don't have either.--

Preheat oven to 375 ˚F

Sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, baking soda, salt. Set aside.

Cream together both sugars and butter. Beat in each egg. Slowly mix the flour mixture.

Then add the kabocha and almonds. Combine well.

Put the batter in a lightly greased loaf pan. Baked for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Let the loaf rest for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.


29 comments:

Heather S-G said...

mmmmm, your bread looks so good. Love the almonds scattered on the top! I could use a slice or two with my coffee right now :)

Debbie said...

Oh does that ever look good. I love quick breads and trying new ones. I will have to try this soon!

Justin said...

wait a sec, how do you puree the kabocha? in a food processor?

OysterCulture said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again - your brilliant - what a great idea for a bread!

Anonymous said...

That sounds so good with kabocha & spices, awesome idea!

lisaiscooking said...

I have two kabocha squashes waiting for me to use them right now. This looks great with the sliced almonds!

Pam said...

What a beautiful bread! Love the almonds on top.

Banana Wonder said...

Love the use of Kobocha.. so hot right now ;) Love your blog too!

Parita said...

Wow love the spices in the bread...so flavorful :-)

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Jenn this looks so pretty! I love kabocha, so sweet and creamy all by itself! And with those almond slices, the bread loaf looks perfect.

pigpigscorner said...

The kabocha must add a ncie sweetness to it! I want as slice!

teresa said...

mmmm, great idea adding the kabocha, this looks marvelous!

Jenn said...

Girlichef, 5 star, Lisa, Pam, Parita, Alta: thanks.

Debbie: You should.

Justin: yeah. I added how to puree the kabocha in the instructions. You can use a blender, too. If you don't have either mashed would be fine.

Oyster: ;-D

Anna: Thanks for visiting.

pigpig: I want to make more, too.

Jenn said...

Teresa: Thanks.

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

That looks awesome. I love squash and I love bread. I'm sure I'd love this!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a wonderful twist of an old familiar bread. I really love your recipe and have put list on my must try list.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This is the perfect Fall bread!

Diana said...

Squash bread? You are a genius! Now if I could just get past my anxiety about peeling the darn suckers!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Great idea! :) I love adapting recipes...

Christo Gonzales said...

this bread looks so moist and flavorful - hook me up a lightly toasted slice with butter please.

Anonymous said...

So, Jenn, where are we meeting? you DID bake that bread for me, right? ;-)

theUngourmet said...

You did such a nice job with your bread! It's gorgeous and I love the almonds on top!

The Duo Dishes said...

This is very cool. Never actually thought about kabocha in bread, but it's a nice one to add. Mmmmmm.

Jenn said...

Amanda: I'm sure you will.

Mary: woohoo!

Diana: Yeah. it takes getting used to, but It's get's pretty easy.

Andrea: it's always great to change up familiar recipes.

doggy: sure thing.

Sophia: lol. ;-D

Ungourmet: Thanks.

Duo: Yes, indeed.

Reeni said...

This is one way I've never had squash! It look scrump-dilli-icious!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

So delicious! I adore quick breads... This one looks beautiful. Wishing I had the ingredients to make one right now!

Diana H said...

Almonds tastes great in bread. I love a nutty bread especially with pumpkin or kabocha.

Jenn said...

Reeni: That means you have to try it.

Jen: Quick recipes are the best on the time schedule.

Diana: I love almonds.

alecho said...

ooooh... this kabocha! i have some left over from my spicy kabocha curry, so I should give this a try! thanx yo!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger