Search Bread + Butter

Monday, November 30, 2009

Kabocha Biscuits



Alrighty get ready for this series of post Thanksgiving recipes. Dish #1. Biscuits. Oh, Mr. Kabocha has a way of sneaking into the Thanksgiving meal, too. Sneaky one you are! It's still a pumpkin. Sounds good to me. I'll take it.

The recipe for this follows the same as my buttermilk biscuits. Just add the pumpkin puree to the batter and baked. Really good. I didn't have any buttermilk, plus the recipe only require a small bit. So a trick to make buttermilk is to spike 1 cup of regular milk with 1 teaspoon of vinegar. Let it stand for at least 10 minutes and you've got yourself instant buttermilk. Plus, it helps save from having a barely used carton of buttermilk from going bad in the fridge.

The biscuits came out as a slightly yellowish-orange in color, which I found pretty cool. I didn't mix the pumpkin puree as thorough to give then a sort of marbled look. Super tasty warm with a nice spread of butter or dollop of cranberry sauce with a slice of turkey or in my case roast duck. 

Makes 9-12 biscuits.

Kabocha on Foodista




Kabocha Biscuits
3/4 c kabocha or pumpkin puree
2 c flour (plus extra for dusting)
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
2/3 c Buttermilk
1/3 unsalted butter

--
To puree fresh pumpkin: heat the pumpkin in the microwave for 5 minutes and scoop out the flesh. Puree with a blender, food processor or masher.

If you want to buy a whole carton of buttermilk, simply add 1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar to 1 c milk and let it stand for a least 10min.
--

Peel and cut the sweet potato into cubes and place them in to some boiling water. Cook them until tender. Cool them off in some cold running water, then mash. Set aside 2/3 c for the sweet potato.

Preheat your oven to 425˚F

Combine flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl. Cut in the butter until it resembles crumbs. Add in the mashed sweet potato and the buttermilk. Mix it all together until it forms a dough ball.

Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead a few time. Roll out the dough to 1/2-thick. And cut into 9 or 10 round biscuits.

Place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for roughly 10-13 min.


18 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL, you are on a roll with the kabocha!

theUngourmet said...

Yum! I've made sweet potato biscuits and they were wonderful too. I'd love to try these, they look so moist and yummy!

Debbie said...

They look delicious! My son would love these also.

teresa said...

mmm, i love biscuits with squash or sweet potato. these look incredible!

Diana said...

I have some buttermilk going bad in my parents' fridge since I only needed a 1/2 cup for a cake I made last week. Sigh. Such a waste - should have made my own!

Or used the leftovers for these biscuits...

pigpigscorner said...

the kabocha gives it such a nice colour!

Bob said...

Lovely! I've never had a kabocha (or pumpkin) biscuit. I would like to though.

Mardi Michels said...

Yummo! You are on a bit of a kabocha roll aren't you!

Anonymous said...

I've never had kabocha, but I'm sure the biscuits are delicious!

Unknown said...

I love the color of these! They look delicious too.

Teanna said...

These biscuits scream fall! I am in love with them! What amazing flavors!

OysterCulture said...

I've figured it out! You need to stop everything and write the definitive kabocha cookbook - seriously - you have the most inspired recipes. Sorry, I'm behind on all your posts, I just got back from Thanksgiving and we're moving - yuck!

Anonymous said...

I love the addition of kabocha in the biscuits, totally yum!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Oh you and your kabocha...haha. These look great and I bet they tasted even more delicious...yum!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

I'm sure the kabocha makes these nice and moist. They look flakey and delish in the pictures!

Reeni said...

I don't know if I like these or the sweet potato bread better. I would of loved both of these for Thanksgiving!

Tangled Noodle said...

I haven't even found kabocha yet but as soon as I do, I'll have to keep this recipe in mind!

theguildedpage said...

This will not succeed in reality, that is what I think.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger