Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Cornbread



Who doesn't love cornbread? Whenever someone goes out to Hometown Buffet, I make it a habit to make sure that cornbread if brought back. Forget everything else, I want the cornbread. If not, there will be hell to pay. Okay, maybe not. I'm too nice to be mean. Seriously, with a face like mine, I always have a smile on my face. Just ask anyone who knows me. Anyway, I think that's the second thing I love about Thanksgiving.

For this, I adapted it from I a recipe that found in the back of a box of corn meal. I haven't really made it before and I've always been interested in trying to make my own. I never really reaziled how simple it was until now. I always thought there was some complicated technique I had to do or get some special ingredient. Now I know.

I added some nutella on top to give it a chocolate hazelnut flavor. I know, I know. More nutella, but it was staring right at me. It gave me those big googley eyes like that bundle of money from those Geico commercials. Staring at people who could have saved on car insurance. (Note: This is in no way an endorsement for Geico. Just wanted to point that out. I was merely referencing that bundle of google-eyed money.) I think next time I'll add corn kernals into it. I love it when there's real corn in the bread.

Makes 1 9-inch round cake




Cornbread
adapted from Alber's Cornbread Recipe

1 c yellow corn meal
1 c cake flour
1/4 c granulated sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c milk
1/3 c canola oil
1 egg - lightly beaten
nutella

Preheat your oven to 400˚F

In a small bowl, combine milk, oil, and egg.

In another bowl, combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. Then add in the milk mixture. Stir to blend.

Pour the batter into 9-inch greased pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.


 

17 comments:

MrsLavendula said...

i just love cornbread especially straight out of the oven! yum!

Unknown said...

You put nutella with cornbread LOL, inspired!

figtree said...

This is fancy cornbread! I love it!

Unknown said...

The nutella swirls are so pretty! This would be great on the Thanksgiving table. Have a great one!

Mardi Michels said...

Oh thanks for posting this - we had savoury cornbread (from a bakery) last night and it was excellent. Never thought about a sweet version...

Debbie said...

After I made my pound cake with nutella I bought another jar right away. This is a fantastic idea...I also am a huge fan of cornbread and think nutella would put it over the top! Thank you for posting this.

Sippity Sup said...

Do you own stock in Nutella? Fess up!! GREG

Reeni said...

I love cornbread and Nutella! Both are irresistible! Another scrumptious one!

teresa said...

what a yummy cornbread, i love that you've made it sweet!

Lana said...

What a creative take on cornbread! Nutella...who would've thought. Bet it's delicious!

Fresh Local and Best said...

This corn bread looks beautiful! The swirl adds such an elegant touch. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Janice said...

That's a very creative cornbread, nothing I've ever seen before. It must taste awesome with the nutella

Diana said...

Haha I can't believe you put nutella in your cornbread! Amazing! I'd bite. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This looks great! I love the swirl of Nutella....yum!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

You are killing me with all the Nutella!!!! This looks fabulous & sounds delicious!

Happy Thanksgiving!

theUngourmet said...

I'm all over this Nutella corn bread!

Happy Thanksgiving! :D

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Your cornbread looks tasty... Never thought to put Nutella on cornbread, but I think it's a fantastic idea!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger