Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, November 14, 2009

A sushi's birthday




I attended another birthday. The place: Zono Sushi. Location: Glendale, CA. They also have a branch in Burbank and Pasadena.

This place is known for their bento lunches, which are quite filling. We were a group of about 20. So I'm sure the servers were overwhelmed the the many directions coming at them from left and right. The server takes our orders and shortly after serve us with some complimentary boiled edamame.

The meal comes with the traditional miso soup. My favorite soup.


Miso Soup

Since we were a large group I'll only show you what my mom and I ordered. Let's just say it was a good mix all around.



 Clockwise from top left: Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura, Chicken Katsu with Ponzu sauce, California rolls, White rice, Mixed greens salad with Miso dressing and crispy wonton strips, Fried Gyozas with sauce, Pickled seaweed and a slice of cantaloupe.


My order (clockwise from top left): Crab and cheese puffs, Salmon Teriyaki, Mixed Sushi, Steamed white rice, Mixed Greend salad with Miso dressing and crisp wonton strips, Pickled Seaweed, A couple of Gyozas and cantaloupe slices.

My favorite was the Crab and cheese puffs. They're very much like Crab rangoons. Crab meat mixed with cream cheese, wrapped in a wonton wrapper and deep fried served with a sweet and sour sauce. The sushi was your ordinary combo of albacore tuna, salmon and, I think, yellowfin tuna.

Of course no birthday can't be complete without the cake.



The cake for today was a fruit tart cake with meringue frosting. Oh, we also got some complimentary mochi from the kitchen. The flavors were strawberry and vanilla. I had forgotten to take a picture of it. By the time I did remember, it was already gone. But it was good. Really filling at the same time.

17 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

I could eat sushi everyday, and I do in the summer. We have like one sushi joint here. Sad eh? I kow cali has a ton of them, lucky you!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Everything looks delicious! Now I want some Japanese food for lunch...

Happy Weekend! :)

Dewi said...

delicious place to enjoy birthday party. How fun!

Miranda said...

Is there anyway to get the recipe for the cake? LOL. It looks mouthwatering!!!

Parita said...

I havent had sushi as yet but its on my list :-)

Heather S-G said...

You know, I just want to eat from a Bento Box (never have!!!). Fun place :D

Catherine said...

That looks so delicious! I love going to the Japanese restaurants, its so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I get tempura at sushi restaurants, too. Your meal looks yummy!

OysterCulture said...

Any sort of birthday is grand, but when it involves sushi watch out- this looks spectacular!

teresa said...

oh that sounds so fun, the food looks awesome! love sushi!

Mary Bergfeld said...

How gorgeous this all looks. You must have had a fantastic time.

theUngourmet said...

Oh you are making me hungry for sushi and it's time for bed!

Looks like the perfect birthday spot to me!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Wow that lunch looks awesome! Now I'm craving sushi....yum :)

Fresh Local and Best said...

I love sushi, and tempura! This all looks so good! What a great way to celebrate a birthday!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Sounds like a tasty birthday dinner... Love the cake with the meringue... One of my favorites!

mackyton said...

Good food is a must for parties, and it seems like the food at the Sushi place was amazing. It must have made the birthday much more enjoyable, and your order plate really looks very appetizing. I was attending a friend’s birthday party last week at a well-known party venue, and also got to try some delicious sushi that they were serving.

Anonymous said...

مكافحة حشرات
شركة مكافحة حشرات

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger