Search Bread + Butter

Monday, November 23, 2009

Grilled Eggplant Sammies



Who says you can't grill when it's not summer? Thank goodness for old Georgie. Very handy during the colder months and when there's unfavorable weather. Add on to it when the body says "I'm being lazy today, so you better not over work me or I'll make you tired even more!" Apparently, my mind and body weren't in sync with each other on this particular day. My energy was drained without doing much during the day. Granted, I had some errands, but they weren't very strenuous.

Anyway, this one's a simple sandwich. Grilled eggplants with avocado, cucumber slices and sauteed balsamic onions on ciabatta bread. Make it sound fancy without it being fancy.

Makes 2 sandwiches





Grilled Eggplant Sammies

1 Medium Eggplant - 1/2-inch sliced
1/2 small cucumber - sliced
1 small avocado - sliced
1 small sweet onion - sliced
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 ciabatta rolls (or your choice of bread)
horseradish mustard or mayo

Prepare your grill.

In a skillet melt the butter and saute the onions. Once the onions are translucent add the balsamic vinegar. Saute for a few more minutes. Then remove from heat and set aside.

Season the eggplant with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Both side. Grill the eggplants until tender depending on the heat of your grill roughly 5-10 minutes.

Toast the bread on the grill or in the oven for a few minutes.

Putting all together:
Once the bread has been toasted on both slices. Spread a thin layer of horseradish mustard or mayo. Add a few slices of the eggplant, followed by the cucumber, avocado then the onions. Top with the other half of the bread.

23 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Have I told you before that I love that you put horseradish mayo on sandwiches. The idea is brilliant. Simple tasty sandwich, great creation.

tavolini said...

I agree with Donna--horseradish mayo sounds fantastic!! Excellent looking sandwich :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Looks & sounds like the perfect sandwich! I love grilled veggies on sandwiches, and I agree, the horseradish mayo sounds awesome!

Heather S-G said...

What an awesome sandwich! I love everything on it. I am in need of a good sammie today.

lisaiscooking said...

That is kind of fancy! I love this mix of veggies.

Lana said...

Love, love, love grilled eggplant. The combo of that with the horseradish mustard sounds so good. Can't wait until lunch time!

The Foodie Forkful said...

Looks simple and tasty. Your photos are great too, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Such an awesome sandwich! Perfect for lunch!

Jenn said...

Donna, TavoLini, Andrea, lana, foodie 5 star: Thanks

Girlichef: hooray for sammies!!

Lisa: it's a lowkey fancy.

Pam said...

Delicious. I love anything with caramelized onions on it.

chow and chatter said...

oh wow lovely sandwich love eggplant

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a great sandwich. I love the mix of vegetables you've used.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Sounds tasty... I would love a grilled sammy right about now! :)

Catherine said...

There's only one word that comes to mind when I read this recipe and see this picture- YUMMY! :)

Daily Spud said...

Simple but well tasty I'd say!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love a good sandwich. This one I have to try.

Reeni said...

I could go for one of these right now! How delicious!

Velva said...

This is a perfect "I am lazy" "out of sync" feeling today sandwich. It's fast, healthy and looks delicious.

Justin said...

i flip-flop on eggplant, but now i'm in an eggplant phase again because i had a really good version last night at this cool pakistani restaurant in nyc.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

What a great idea! I know eggplant can have the meaty texture so I'm sure the real stuff wasn't missed at all!

theUngourmet said...

You always make eggplant look delicious! How do you do it?!

MrsLavendula said...

i loved grilled veggie sandwiches and these look yummy!

Jenn said...

Pam, Catherine: ;-D

CC, Mary, Daily: Thanks.

Jen: It's really good.

Peachkins: you should.

Reeni: Me, too.

Velva: Definitely a lazy sandwich.

Justin: Nice I'd love to try it when I go back to NY.

Nutmeg: Not at all. It was great with out a meat patty.

Ungourmet: I just love to cook it. lol.

MrsLavendula: Thanks.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger