Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Roasted Eggplant Tacos


So here's what I made from my first attempt at making tortillas. Some good ol' roasted veggie tacos. It's not your traditional Mexican taco. I didn't have parsley or cilantro, so I used chopped fresh basil. I didn't have any cheddar, so I used shredded mozzarella. Rather than using fresh onions, I used sauteed onions with balsamic vinegar.

Makes 6 tacos



Roasted Eggplant Tacos

6 tortillas
2 long chinese eggplants
1 small onion - sliced
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 medium tomato - deseeded and diced
1 c fresh basil - chopped
shredded cheese

Slice the eggplants in half. If it is long, cut them in half again. Sprinkle the meat with a little bit of salt. Let it rest for 10-20 minutes to remove any of the water. Pat them dry with a paper towel.

Preheat your broiler.

Slice the eggplants in half length-wise Lightly brush some extra virgin olive oil on the meat of the eggplants and place them on a baking sheet. Roast for roughly 15 minutes until the top layer has slightly charred. Let the eggplants rest for a couple of minutes before scooping out the meat from the skin.

Saute the onions in a little extra virgin olive oil until they are limp. Add the balsamic vinegar

Putting the taco together:
Take a tortilla, place some of the eggplant in the center. Top it with some diced tomato, basil, and shredded cheese and enjoy.

24 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

With those ingredients and flavors, this is like a Mediterranean taco - brilliant! I am so going to try this.

Emily Malloy said...

This is awesome. I bet it tastes magnificent, too!

Debbie said...

Love eggplant....a delicious looking taco!

Pam said...

I really need to give eggplant another chance (bad experience in my youth). These tacos look fabulous.

Unknown said...

These look great - my tummy is rumbling!

Bob said...

Oooo, Italian tacos. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

An excellent twist on tacos! I love the roasted eggplant here, yum!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Italian tacos - yum! Sounds incredible. I would love some roasted eggplant in tacos right about now.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! I love eggplant!

OysterCulture said...

Love eggplant, and this looks amazing - you are so good!

teresa said...

yay, i'm glad you got your silpat!

i was hoping you'd do something fun with those tortillas, this looks like the perfect thing!

Joanne said...

I love it! Kind of like an Italian/Mediterranean twist on tacos. I can't believe those shells are homemade!

I bet this would be great with feta on it!

Mimi said...

Awesome tacos. I absolutely love roasted eggplant...yum.
Mimi

lisa is cooking said...

This is a great twist on a taco. The roasted eggplant sounds delicious!

Thistlemoon said...

What an awesomely great idea!!!

chow and chatter said...

wow looks amazing and homemade tortilla yummy, great job
hope you can persuade you family to eat curry lol

Catherine said...

Delicious looking tacos Jenn!

Christo Gonzales said...

thats the beauty of a tortilla - you can do whatever you want with it - I grew up with fresh tortillas in the house daily so I have even had them with peanut butter and jelly - now that is NOT a traditional taco....these veggie tacos look great.

Sippity Sup said...

I knew, I just knew... that those tortillas were going to reappear in a creative manner. GREG

Jennifer@womanvfood said...

hmmm, I always make homemade tortillas...and now I know exactly what I'm going to put in them next!!!

dining tables said...

This is nice and something new to me. I have lots of eggplants today from the garden patch and I might make some.

tavolini said...

I like sauteed onions better than raw, so that is a good choice! How was the eggplant? Did you peel it?

Jenn said...

tavolini: I roasted the eggplants in the skin, then scooped out the meet after.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I love that you used eggplant in this recipe. I'm always looking for alternative eggplant recipes. No parm for me!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger