Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wings #1: Garlic Buffalo


Ah yes the good ol' tasty buffalo wing. Probably the most known finger food eaten during the Ssuperbowl. I'm not really a football fan. Quite frankly, I don't even understand how it's played. All I know is there's two teams -- one will win and one will lose.  But one thing's for sure I've got to have my wings on Superbowl Sunday. Once in a while I'll eat it up on other occasions, but Superbowl is a must.

Now I wasn't sure as to how to actually make it without deep-fry. If you've been following this blog long enough, you'd know that I try to avoid frying as much as possible. so in came Alton Brown to the rescue. Not really in person, but via Good Eats recipe.  I actually made two kinds of wings for my little Superbowl munchies, along with some guacamole and tortilla chips.  Here's number one. I pretty much stuck to the recipe except that don't have one of those oven-safe wire racks, for the drippings, so I just laid them on the parchment paper and roasted. It still came out pretty awesome. I added some red pepper flakes, too. Chicken goodness with all that heat. Mwhahaha.... I served this with some ranch dressing.

Makes 1 dozen



Garlic Buffalo Wings
adapted from Good Eats

1 dozen wings separated with tips removed.
1 Tbsp unsalted butter - melted
1 tsp crushed red pepper (or more to your liking)
1 large garlic clove - minced
2 Tbsp hot sauce (or more to your liking)
pinch of salt to season

Steam the chicken on a metal steamer or steaming basket on medium heat for 10 minutes. Do not use the bamboo kind. Then pat the chicken dry and place them on a cooling rack or a baking pan with paper towels underneath. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 425˚F

Place the chicken on a parchment paper lines baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Give the chicken turn halfway through for an even browning or until the skins are golden brown.

While the chicken cooks, prepare the hot sauce mix. Combine the butter, garlic, red pepper flakes and hot sauce in a large enough. Season with a little salt. Then toss the nicely roasted chicken pieces until they are coated with the mixture.

Serve warm with some ranch or blue cheese dressing with some carrots and celery sticks.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great recipe, will be trying this out sometime!

S
http://notjustmedical.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

Isn't it great that we get to use the Super Bowl as an excuse to eat all the wings we want? Love it!! These look delish!

Tangled Noodle said...

I'm here for my morning fix of yum! Spicy and garlicky make a great team and I totally appreciate the effort you make to find a healthier alternative when a recipe calls for frying.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Yummy! Alton Brown always has such good advice. I like the addition of garlic. Is 9:40am to early to make wings?

Bob said...

Mmmm, buffalo wings. Looks great!

OysterCulture said...

I love savory wings and the spicier the better, these little guys are about perfect.

Dewi said...

Lol, me neither ... I just sit there with my husband and my son with my laptop. Yes, the wings will never be absent from the snack table. Yours is especially good, I don't think I have to wait until next football season to make it.

Pam said...

My wing loving husband would really dig these!

The pasta dish down below looks fantastic!

pigpigscorner said...

Some garlic is always good!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I made wings this past weekend too. For some reason, they didn't make it on the blog. Not sure why - they were delicious! I considered making them using Alton Brown's recipe too - glad to see they're good!

chow and chatter said...

oh yumm love wings

Phyllis said...

These look really juicy! I don't understand what's happening during the game either, I'm really just there for the food :)

teresa said...

i can't think of a better way to enjoy a sports weekend! they look full of flavor!

Sippity Sup said...

I am working on a wings recipe myself! GREG

lisaiscooking said...

This healthy version of spicy wings sounds great! Love the chile flakes and hot sauce.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger