Search Bread + Butter

Monday, February 22, 2010

Spinach Mushroom Tortilla Pizzas

Pizza was on my mind. I didn't have any dough, even the premade kind. Plus, I was feeling a bit sore from a morning workout, so moving about wasn't something I really wanted to do much. I made some tortillas again thinking I'd make some tacos, but the urge for pizza was pretty strong. I do like a nice crisp thin crust sometimes. So I placed some shredded mozzarella as the bottom layer. I learned that this helps keep the crust crisp and from soaking up the sauce to make a mushy bottom. Then the tomato sauce and followed by some chopped mushrooms and spinach. I used the frozen kind. Though, I do prefer fresh. Finally topped it with more cheese and baked until the crust was crisp and cheese micely melted just to the point where it was still slightly stringy.

Makes 2 personal pizzas



Spinach Mushroom Tortilla Pizzas

2 tortillas - taco sized or slightly larger
1 c chopped mushrooms
1 c spinach -  from frozen
1/2 c tomato sauce
2 c shredded mozzarella (plus more if needed)
1 c shredded parmesan

Preheat your oven to 400˚F

Lay the tortilla flat on a parchment paper or silpat lined baking sheet.  Take 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella and sprinkle it on both tortillas. Then spread the tomato sauce over. (This will help keep the tortilla crisp while baking). Then sprinkle the mushroom and spinach and top it with the parmesan and other cup of shredded mozzarella.

Baked for 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.

Serve warm.

23 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

That pizza looks awesome!

Tasty Trix said...

Hey - when you need pizza, you NEED pizza! And this looks like a great last-minute solution, yum. Oh, and happy belated birthday!

lisaiscooking said...

These are my favorite pizza toppings! And, Jacques Pepin used tortillas for pizza crust in Chez Jacques. Great minds!

Brad said...

Yum looks and sopunds great, i like thin crispy pizza.

pigpigscorner said...

Great idea! I always crave for pizza but am too lazy to make the crust =P

Anonymous said...

Great idea to use the tortillas for the crust, crispy & delicious!

Bob said...

Nice, that's good thinking. Looks great!

Debbie said...

The pizza looks delicious and thanks for sharing your birthday pics!

Phyllis said...

I make thin crust 'pizzas' with tortillas too! So easy and quick and they turn out awesome.

Diana said...

You and your tortillas! ;)

So fun seeing you yesterday - your mushroom wontons were adorable!

Claudia said...

Simple and delicious- a definite "must do."

teresa said...

that is my kind of pizza for sure, i love mushrooms and spinach!

Joie de vivre said...

Jenn,
Thanks for your insight on portion control! It's something I am going to work on.

Justin said...

hmm, i "almost" can't believe this turns out good with the tortilla crust. it sure would save some time. it reminds me of that pita crust pizza i wrote about last year.

Reeni said...

I've never tried a tortilla for the crust. I do get bad cravings for pizza. I have to keep this in mind. Love the toppings!

tavolini said...

spinach and mushroom are one of my favorite combos :)

Bet that tortilla crust was nice and crisp!

OysterCulture said...

I usually made tostadas with my tortialla never thought to get too adventurous though I have no idea why not, Looks fantastic.

Christo Gonzales said...

ooooh yeah I love tortilla pizzas - reminds me of college.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum... I like to make tortilla pizzas sometimes. Loev the spinach and mushroom toppings!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This look scrumptious! This would be the perfect little diet pizza :)

Anonymous said...

hji

barcelona said...

Thanks for this article, pretty helpful piece of writing.

site said...

Thank you for your post, pretty helpful material.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger