Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Pasta with Broccoli in Carrot Sauce


Carrots are good for betacarotines. Helps your eye sight. They are tasty when you dip them in a little ranch dressing. So I bought a couple from the farmer's market from the weekend. Usually when I buy produce, I have a vague idea as to what I can or will make with them. I usually decide the day before or the day of. Then I remember seeing a recipe over at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice, which is run by the lovely Reeni of using carrots as a sauce for pasta. Ding! Bugs Bunny's Pasta Toss aka Roasted Carrot Cream Pasta Toss. Carrot sauce was a new idea to me and it's been a while since I've had a really good pasta fix, so why not. I adapted the sauce a bit by adding some onion, fresh basil, I didn't have any parmesan on hand, but I did have a 4 cheese Mexican blend on hand. I also cooked up some broccoli with it as well before tossing everything together.

Serves 2-3




Pasta with Broccoli in Carrot Sauce
adapted from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice

3 medium to large carrots
4 small heads of broccoli - cut into florets
1/2 small onion sliced
3/4 c fresh basil - chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil (plus extra)
1 tsp dry thyme
2 garlic clove - chopped
1 5oz can evaporated milk
1/3 c shredded cheese - 4 cheese blend
salt and pepper to taste
3 c uncooked pasta
1 c pasta water


Preheat your oven to 400˚F

Peel and cut the carrots into 1/4-inch coins. Place them in a bowl along with the onion and toss them in olive oil, garlic, thyme, and a little bit of salt an pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes until the carrots are tender. Give the carrots a toss half way.

When the carrots are done place them in a food processor or blender and puree. Include the onion and garlic bits. Add the basil. Slowly drizzle in the evaporated milk and blend until smooth.

Bring a pot of water to a boil, seasoned liberally with salt and a tiny drizzle of olive oil. Boil the pasta to al dente. Roughly 8 minutes. Give it a stir to prevent sticking. Reserve 1 cup of the water and drain the rest from the pasta.

Heat a tiny drizzle of olive oil in a skillet and saute broccoli until tender. Turn off the heat and pour in the carrot sauce, the pasta water, cheese and pasta. If it looks slightly dry add a a tiny drizzle of olive oil.

Sprinkle a little more cheese just before serving and enjoy with some garlic bread.

27 comments:

Wendy (The Local Cook) said...

That looks delicious! I have never heard of carrot sauce, I must try this. I'm on a carrot kick lately.

Bob said...

I've been wanting to make that one myself, it's intriguing. Love the addition of broccoli.

Unknown said...

Wow - this looks soo creamy and comforting. Great way to get the veggies in!

Tangled Noodle said...

If you had said 'carrots and broccoli' when I was a kid, I would have run screaming from the table! But I'm so much wiser (ok - older, too) that the combination sounds really appetizing now.

Sippity Sup said...

Carrots are so versatile, I knew that. But is a pasta sauce that's really cool. GREG

Ambika said...

That is such an interesting recipe, gotto try it!

Phyllis said...

Yum. Roasted carrots are so delicious, I bet they made a fabulous sauce.
ps. when I was a kid, I had a friend who ate so many carrots her nose actually turned orange!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Mmmmm delicious! I will have to give this carrot sauce a try. It sounds so interesting!

Unknown said...

I think its really cool how you took that recipe and put your own twist on it. Looks yummy :)
*kisses* HH

Sook said...

Carrot sauce sounds delicious!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I bet the sauce is nice and subtly sweet. Yum!

chow and chatter said...

Reeni rocks I made a pasta with carrots after seeing hers as well, love your version as well

Joanne said...

Awesome! I bookmarked this over at Reeni's and I really love your modifications. I always have carrots around that I don't quite know what to do this. Thanks for reminding me!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember that carrot sauce on Reeni's site, it's totally on my list to make! Sounds excellent!

Diana said...

What a cool idea! I would never think to put carrot in a pasta sauce! I bet it's heavenly with the cheese and broc.

teresa said...

ever since i saw reeni's post, i've been wanting to try something like it too! this looks outstanding!

Debbie said...

Carrot sauce sounds wonderful. I have never made that before!

Catherine said...

Yum! This looks delicious Jenn!

Jennifer@womanvfood said...

very interesting, you always have such creative ideas. very inspiring, thank you!

Teanna said...

Whhaaaa? Carrot sauce? Can I be any more in love than I already am!? I am loving this recipe!

katie@cozydelicious said...

This looks wonderful! So creamy and comforting. I have never had a carrot sauce but I am really going to have to try this. Thank you!

Reeni said...

How cool - you made the carrot sauce! I love your changes and additions. I cold go for some right now. Thanks for the shout-out!

theUngourmet said...

I love your version too! Broccoli always makes things even yummier! :)

OysterCulture said...

Sounds yummy! I love carrots and what a great idea. I bet even little kids that don't like green stuff would go for this one.

pigpigscorner said...

I saw this recipe too and I can't wait to make this! Looks so good!

Von said...

Yum.....This looks delicious!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Carrot sauce is such a great idea! I have never made it before, but it sounds wonderful!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger