Search Bread + Butter

Friday, February 5, 2010

Sinigang na Isda (Sour soup with fish)

 
It's nice when someone else does the cooking even for one day. My mom had decided to cook one of my favorite soups from the Phlippines with one of my favorite fishes. Bangus or as it is referred to here in the US, milkfish. It's not common to find here, but you can find them in many Asian markets. If you can't find it at all whole catfish would do. For the sour aspect of the soup, she had used a tamarind soup mix from the Mama Sita's Brand. If you can't find that either, you can use lemon juice or if you're lucky enough to find fresh tamarind. It's just to give it that little sour punch.

Serve 2



Sinigang na Isda (Sour soup with fish)

2 milkfish bellies or whole catfish cut into 4ths
1lbs mustard leaves
2 small daikon radish  - peeled and sliced
3 Tbsp tamarind base soup (Mama Sita's)
        or juice of 1 Lemon or tamarind paste
1 tomato - rough chopped
1 small chunk - ginger  - rough slice
1 smal onion - sliced
1 12oz can chicken or vegetable tock
pepper to taste

In a pot combine the fish, tamarind/lemon juice, tomato,  stock, onion. Season with a little pepper. Bring the mixture to a slight boil and until the fish it cooked. The add the daikon radish and let it cook. then finally add the mistart leaves. Let the whole soup simmer for a couple of minutes.

Serve it some warm rice or eat alone.

 

 

22 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

wow! this is my daughter's and my favorite! Anything sinigang..

Tangled Noodle said...

My husband LOVES sinigang, especially 'na isda'; when I caught a cold halfway through our recent PI trip, I had bowls of this and arroz caldo. It saved my vacation!

One tip: you can use concentrated tamarind paste found in Indian groceries - trust me, the flavor is so much better than using lemon juice. Just add by Tbsps until the broth is just the right level of sourness. Hmmm, might have to make sinigang this weekend!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love soups with daikon and fish! Sounds wonderful.

Happy Friday! :)

vanillasugarblog said...

now this sounds good!

Phyllis said...

This looks like total comfort food, especially since it's cooked by your mom :)

Anonymous said...

Mmm.. this sounds wonderful - never had this soup but would love to try!

Bob said...

Sounds fantastic, tamarind is actually something I know I can get around here. Heh.

teresa said...

mmmm, this looks just delicious, i love the look of that fish!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of this soup before but I'm loving it. Would it be criminal to add some sliced hot chiles. I love heat and sour. Really clears out your sinuses and gets you back on your feet. Thanks TN for the tamarind suggestion, that form is much easier to come by here.

Jenn said...

Thanks everyone for the comment.

Tangled noodle: Thanks for the suggestion. I added it to the recipe.

Danielle: Go right ahead. No harm in adding chiles. Kick it up a notch.

Juliana said...

Milk fish soup...I absolutely love it...reminds me of the soup that my mom used to make...yummie, although hers was not sour...my mouth is watering at the pictures :-)

pigpigscorner said...

This is so appetising!

Christo Gonzales said...

I really like the looks and sound of this soup - I will look for milkfish now!

theUngourmet said...

I've never heard of this fish! Your mom's soup looks fantastic! I can almost smell and taste all of this yummy goodness now!!

Bianca @southbay rants n raves said...

Thanks for bringing attention to this classic dish! :-)

Pam said...

I've never had this type of soup before but I am sure I would love it.

Debbie said...

I love to try different foods and would love to try this - especially since I've never heard of milkfish!

Kim said...

So nice to have your mom cook for you! I wish I had someone to cook me a meal once in awhile myself...hubby microwaves!! hee hee!! Love this soup and just in time to warm up with these cold days!

sophia said...

Those are RICE CAKES, right? Ooh!! I've never heard of this dish, but I'm so intrigued by the tamarind in there.

OysterCulture said...

Yum - you are my creative soup source, this sounds amazing. I love the tartness of the tamarind. I cannot wait to give it a go. Given the description, is this the Filipino equivalent of Hot and Sour Soup?

Daily Spud said...

I'm on a fish soup kick at the moment and love the sound of this - just go ahead and ladle some into my bowl, please :)

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I'm not really a fish fan but I would still love to try it:)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger