Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ramen in Shiitake Alfredo Sauce


First off, thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone for the birthday greetings. I had a simple birthday with no plans what-so-ever. I went with the flow and was happy with the outcome. I was planning on baking something, but I got lazy. I'm allowed to be lazy on my b-day, right? But I sis have some good food. Don't worry I'm working on that post right now.

Today's dish is part one of two of my Valentine's/Chinese New Year meal for the single. Rather than going out. I stayed in. I still had a few ramen noodle packets and I had the right ingredients to make the alfredo sauce, I just added some sliced shiitake mushrooms. This dish accompanied number two which will be tomorrow.

Serves 2


Ramen in Shiitake Alfredo Sauce

2 ramen packets (minus flavorings)
3/4 c shitake mushrooms - sliced
1/4 c shredded mozzarella
1/2 c parmesan - shredded
1 5 oz can evaporated milk
2 Tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves - fine chopped
1 Tbsp fresh parsley - chopped for garnish - optional 
salt and pepper to taste

In a sauce pan on medium flame, melt the butter then saute the garlic for roughly 30 sec. Then add the milk and heat. Stir occasionally. Add both cheese. Stir occasionally again until the cheese has melted. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.

Add the shiitake mushroom and  combine well. Let the sauce simmer for a couple of minutes to let the mushrooms soften.

Bring a pot of water to a boil and season liberally with some salt and a tiny drizzle of olive oil. Cook the ramen noodles to al dente. Roughly 8 minutes. Drain completely.

Place the noodles on a place and pour some of the alfredo sauce on top. Garnish with a little parsley.

Serve with some garlic bread.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks really good :), hope you had a wonderful birthday daaaahling.
*kisses* HH

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Happy Belated Birthday! :)

The dish looks very, very yummy!

Tangled Noodle said...

I'm planning to make pasta tonight and you've put in the right mood for it! The alfredo sauce looks so rich and creamy and I love the use of ramen (the kinks and twists of the noodles can really hold on to that sauce).

Most importantly, you had birthday noodles!

Dewi said...

What an interesting combination Jenn. I love alfredo sauce, so will remember this next time I make ramen.

Anonymous said...

The alfredo & shiitake sounds wonderful with ramen noodles!

Bob said...

I've never seen alfredo with evaporated milk before, that's awesome!

Joanne said...

I love how easy this is to throw together! You def deserve a cooking break on your bday. That's what they're for right?

Diana said...

Happy Belated Birthday! :)

Hope it was a wonderful one -- with no clowns!!!

Justin said...

hmmm, very interesting use for ramen. happy belated b-day too.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yum! I love ramen.. I've been using it a lot lately, but I rarely use it in non-Asian applications. Love the idea of pairing it with an alfredo sauce!

teresa said...

i'm glad you had such a nice birthday! i love those noodles, a great way to use ramen!

Claire said...

never had ramen outside of soup, love this idea!

Cookie said...

Happy Belated Bday! What an interesting combination!

Tasty Trix said...

Happy belated! Hmm, I guess you could call this an Asian/Italian fusion dish?

Anonymous said...

I love ramen in anything!

Reeni said...

This looks excellent Jenn!! I am a lover of all things Alfredo!

lisaiscooking said...

Alfredo sauce with shitakes sounds great! I love those two things and putting them together must be delicious.

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves said...

I've probably said this before but it bares repeating, ramen is so versatile! My college self thanks you!

tavolini said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

The combo of shittake and alfredo sounds like such a nice, comforting winter time dish.

OysterCulture said...

Simple and savory are definitely requirements and it looks like you succeeded. Yummy and over the top good with that garlic bread.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger