Search Bread + Butter

Monday, February 8, 2010

Fish Tacos


Since I've started making my own tortillas, I can't get tacos out of my mind. One other taco I love to eat are fish tacos. Yes, that is what I shall make. My fish of choice on this was some dover sole, which was basically the thing that looks decent and appetizing at the market.

I had also received in the mail a small bottle of ponzu sauce with lime courtesy of the Tastemaker program from Foodbuzz and Kikkoman, yes those who make the soy sauce. Anyway, ponzu sauce can mostly be associated with Japanese food. It really great to dipping tempura. I decided to marinate the fish in the ponzu with some minced garlic. While that did its thing. I prepped the other ingredients and made some more flour tortillas.

When the fish was ready, I grilled it on good ol' Georgie along with a bell pepper that I sliced up after. Made myself a couple taco and drizzled some tapatio over. Yum!

Makes 6 tacos



Fish Tacos
3 fillet of sole
1 large garlic clove - minced
1/3 c ponzu sauce  (kikkoman ponzu with lime)
juice of half lemon
 
6 tortillas - taco-sized
2 c shredded lettuce
1 c fresh tomato - deseeded and small diced
1 small yellow bell pepper - quartered and deseeded
1 c shredded cheese

Marinate the fish, in a shallow dish, in the ponzu, lemon and garlic for at least an hour.

Prepare your grill. If cooking in a skillet, heat 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.

Cook the fish 2-3 minutes per side depending on thickness of the fillet. Place on a clean plate and cover and let the fish rest for a couple of minutes.

Next grill the bell pepper until slightly charred and slice them into strips. 

Put the taco together:
Take a tortilla. place a few chunks of the fish in the center. Top with some lettuce, tomato, bell pepper and cheese.

Serve with some sour cream and/or hot sauce.

22 comments:

Koek! said...

I've just realised I don't eat enough tacos... Thanks for the inspiration.

Tangled Noodle said...

You mentioned fish tacos last week, so I've been waiting patiently. Well worth the wait - fish marinated in ponzu sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

Mmm, mmm - I love fish tacos. These look delicious!

Unknown said...

Mmmm... this is something I've got to try. Yum!

vanillasugarblog said...

fish tacos are my all time fav right next to sushi. there are no places anywhere to get a decent fish taco like you would in cali, so I have to make my own.
this is fabulous Jenn!!

Food o' del Mundo said...

Healthy and bright - YUM! Love the use of ponzu. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

Delicious fish tacos! Sound excellent with homemade tortillas and ponzu marinated fish!

Bob said...

Sounds awesome. I've been meaning to pick up some fish at the Trader Joes near me, I don't think I've ever cooked the real stuff.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Mmmmm homemade tacos. In your picture the fish almost looks like chicken. I'm not a fish fan but I would still totally try it :)

Sook said...

homemade tortilla is awesome! I love fish taco. I will have to try your recipe.

Phyllis said...

I heart fish tacos! Yours look lovely with the yellow bell peppers. And the ponzu garlic marinade sounds delish :)

teresa said...

i'm coming to your place for lunch tomorrow. i love fish tacos!

Joanne said...

This looks delicious! Kind of like Asian fusion tacos. I am so impressed that you made your own tortillas - they look fantastic.

Debbie said...

Sounds just sooo good! Love fish tacos! I just do not make them often enough!

pigpigscorner said...

I have to try that ponzu sauce!

Lori Lynn said...

Oh, I received a bottle of Ponzu too, your use is terrific!
LL

Diana said...

I have been ravenously hungry for fish tacos since eating Ricky's Fish Tacos a few months ago. I may need to try these!

Kim (@ Paper Apron) said...

I've never had ponzo sauce with fish tacos, but it makes sense and I need to try it. I love making mine with grilled mahi mahi. In fact, I have one restaurant that I go to and this is all I've ever ordered - I just can't get enough of them!

OysterCulture said...

Fish tacos, yum! I had my first fish tacos in SD and never looked back!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love fish tacos, but I hardly ever make them... I'm putting them on my "must make" list! :)

Reeni said...

I love fish tacos! The homemade tortillas make theme extra special!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Yay! Fish tacos are one of my all-time favorite dishes. It's funny, I used to think they sounded awful and then I tried them one time, and now I am so hooked! I just have to have some now. I'm thinking they'll be on the menu this week :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger