Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Almond Crusted Swordfish



It's officially fall. W00T!!! That means soups, sweaters, scarves, fluffy comforters (my beloved blanky), leaves turning orange, the end of daylight savings and possibly cooler weather. I say "possibly" as with Southern California, summer tends to linger a little while longer than in some areas and tends to be unpredictable at most. Plus, I have 100 followers on this little blog o' mine. Can I get a "HELL YEAH"? (I'm doing a little wiggle dance right now) Whoever you are number 100, thank you oh so very very much!!

This week's fish from Dry Dock Fish, some awesomely delicious swordfish. The piece I got was probably an inch thick so I cut in half lengthwise to 1/2 inch fillets.  Seasoned with some salt pepper and paprika and coated the top with as much almond bits as I could. I did a simple bake with it

I served it over some steamed mixed veggies I steamed in the oven. I used one of those frozen packs from the grocery. Shh...don't tell anyone. To steam it I placed the veggies in a small cake pan and added 1-2 tablespoons of butter. You can use water or olive oil. Then covered with foil. Cooked it at the same time as the fish. I briefly popped the fish into the broiler to toast up the almonds a little bit more. Yum!

Serves 2.





Almond Crusted Swordfish

2  Swordfish Fillets
salt
pepper
paprika
1 to 1 1/2 c crushed almond slices
extra virgin olive oil.
Lemon wedges.

Preheat your oven to 400˚F

Lightly baste the swords with some olive oil. On both sides. Then season the swordfish fillets with salt, pepper and paprika. Again on both sides.

Take the fillets and liberally coat the top with the almond pices.

Place the fillets on a foil lined baking sheet. Baked for 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. You want the fish cooked through until it it all white.

To make the almonds a little crisper, place the baking sheet in the broiler for a couple minutes until slightly toasted.

Serve over veggies, rice or noodles with a lemon wedge.


27 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Woot...Hell Yeah!! LOL...that's awesome ;) ...as is this swordfish (like that segue)...I love the big slices of almonds!

Pam said...

What a tasty and healthy dinner! I love the almonds.

Unknown said...

How wonderful! I once had trout almondine which is trout cooked in almond crust and it was one of the best fish dishes i ever ate (not battered and fried that is).

Jenn said...

girlichef: hehe...

Pam: Thanks.

HH: I haven't had trout yet. Hopefully my fish monger will have some soon.

Parita said...

Wonderful blend of flavors jenn! so colorful too :)

lisaiscooking said...

Sounds great! The almonds look like a nice, crunchy crust.

Justin said...

those nuts look so nice and toasty on top

The Duo Dishes said...

Nice and crusty is how that looks. Nice change too in terms of the aesthetic. The nuts make a little shield layer.

Mary Bergfeld said...

How great does this look! I've used almond crusts on sole before but I've never tried this combination. It has just become a "must do." I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Diana said...

Congrats on the 100 followers! I'm still at 21 -- hah!

So excited for fall too - I have an adorable pink cuddly sweater that I am DYING to bust out!

KennyT said...

Almonds on fish? Wow, this is awesome!

Christo Gonzales said...

holy catfish batman look at that swordfish! wow!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Beautiful fish!

I'm getting excited about fall too. But you are right, with the hot weather during the day it can be a bit difficult to get in the fall mood. I have some great new fall sweaters, but it's way too hot to wear them...

Sanghi said...

Looks great!

theUngourmet said...

That is some sweet looking swordfish! Yay for autumn!

Frozen veggies rock!

Phyllis said...

Hell yeah to 100 followers!! Gorgeous looking swordfish too (love the almond crust)
And fall is my favorite time of the year, if only I could fit into my jeans with my poutine belly LOL

Jenn said...

Parita, Lisa, Justin: thanks

Duo: yes, indeed.

Mary: I've got to get me some sole.

Diana: I love fall.

Kenny: thanks

Doggy: hehe...

Andrea: I'm way over summer.

Sanghi: Thanks

Ungourmet: Yay.

Phyllis: lol.

Fearless Kitchen said...

This looks really delicious. Almonds are one of my favorite ingredients.

Reeni said...

I love the almonds on this!! I always crush mine up to crumbs but I really like how you left them in whole. Really delicious!

Anonymous said...

We like to add almonds to everything but haven't tried it with swordfish yet! What a great idea!

alecho said...

Almond crusted Fish?! Damn smart! and delicious! I'm trying to cook more fish, and this is just awesome! thanx for sharing your recipe! Adding this blog to my RSS reader!

Jenn said...

Fearless: Mine, too.

5 Star: Give it a try.

alecho: Thanks for visiting.

teresa said...

i love the crispy coating of the almonds, this must have been bursting with flavor!

Jenn said...

Teresa: It was.

Ashlea Taylor said...

Yum... I have never tried swordfish... This looks delicious and healthy!

OysterCulture said...

cripes that looks so tasty and I love those almond crusts. I firmly believe they need to be applied to more food!

Jenn said...

Oyster: I agree.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger