Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Veggie Hash


Hash. Actually, I had a craving for hash browns, but I decided to change it up the last minute because I had myself a bell pepper I wanted to use.  Here's a simple veggie hash that anyone can make. No need to buy the frozen variety.

The grater I had was a pretty small hand-held kind, so I'm able to only grate several chunks at a time. Make sure you drain and pat dry all the water after. I think that's one of the keys to making a nice crispy crust. Also, if you're not going to cook it right away keep it soaked in water. This will be to keep the potatoes from browning. Then pat it try. I mixed in the veggies and cooked them until they had a nice crispy crust. I like a good mix of crispy and chewy.

Feel free to change up the veggie on this. You can add anything you feel comfortable with. I had this with some grape tomatoes and a nice slice of bread.

Serves 1-2



Bell Pepper and Green Onion Hash

8 baby potatoes or 2 russet potatoes (peeled and shredded or chopped)
1 small red bell pepper (diced)
2 green onion (chopped)
1 tsp garlic powder
salt
pepper
3 Tbsp unsalted butter

Once the potatoes have been shredded or chopped, soak the pieces in some water for several seconds then drain and squeeze out the remaining water in paper towel.

Mix in the bell pepper and green onion season with a pinch salt and pepper.

Heat a skillet and melt the butter. Then add in the hash mix, pat it down to make a large round.

Check the underside. When it looks crisp and browned, flip it and cook the other side. When the other side has browned the cut the hash into pieces and mix. Cook for another 2-3 minutes after.

You have a nice mix of crispy and soft potatoes.

26 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Just noticed your button, Ill be adding it right now to my blog:)

This veggie hash sounds terrific.. Id love a heaping plate full!!

Unknown said...

Great use of veggies. I love anything that involves fried potaotes! Have a fantastic weekend daaaaaahling :)

Mardi Michels said...

Yes, this will be making an appearance in our house probably this weekend sometime!!!

vanillasugarblog said...

ohhh girl you know I love this!!!

lisaiscooking said...

That's a great combo for a hash! I wish you hand me a plate of it for breakfast.

theUngourmet said...

I have actually been craving these lately. Yesterday I picked up some potatoes with the idea of using part of them for hash. Your recipe looks yu-mmy!

I didn't see your button! I'll go and grab it!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I haven't made hash in a long time. This sounds perfect for tomorrow! :)

Happy weekend! :)

Kristen said...

Yummy - my husband does something similar and calls it 'fry up'

Dewi said...

That look very delicious and pretty!

Jenn@slim-shoppin said...

That's a great idea for using up leftovers.

I usually prefer a savory breakfast over sweet, so this is awesome!

Christo Gonzales said...

looks good - I'll have mine with an egg if you got em' if not I will take it just like this...

zerrin said...

This is a great way to combine these vegetables. I love fried potatoes and this sounds a great quick lunch.

Jenn said...

Donna: Cool.

HH: You, too. Daaaaaahling!!! hehe...

Eatlive: Gotta love hash right?

Dawn: I knew you would.

Lisa: ;-D

Ungourmet: Now you can make some. Fulfill that craving.

Andrea: It's perfect for anytime.

Kristen: Yeah. That's another version of it.

Elra: Thanks.

Jenn: Gotta make use of what I have, right?

doggy: An egg would definitely go perfect with this.

Zerrin: I love anything with potatoes.

Reeni said...

I love this veggie hash! It looks crispy and yummy!

Sippity Sup said...

I did not even know there was a frozen variety... GREG

Anonymous said...

This looks divine. Can't wait to try it! (Maybe when my dh has he corned beef hash; I can have this since I don't eat red meat. Great veggie alternative)

teresa said...

nice and healthy, i love it!

Anonymous said...

I love potatoes and any kind of hash for that matter.

Diana H said...

I like hash with vegetables, almost as much as with eggs - :) Good stuff.

Jenn said...

Reeni: It was.

Greg: Yup. In the freezer section of the groceries.

ashadeofgrey: There you go. Now you can have hash, too.

Teresa: Thanks.

Hummingbird: Me, Too.

Diana H: Thanks.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look great. Where do you think the name hash came from? It is such an unappetizing word :-).

Jenn said...

Mary: You know that's a pretty good question.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

So tasty... I'm not a huge potato fan, but my husband is. He always asks me to make hash browns for dinner. I'll have to give this a try next time!

Daily Spud said...

Nice mix of crispy and soft potatoes? Sign me up :)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Aren't veggies and leftovers wonderful. You can be so creative with them and this recipe is a wonderful idea.

Jenn said...

Jen: Your hubby will go for this.

Daily Spud: sure thing.

Sweet and Savory: Yes, they are.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger