Search Bread + Butter

Friday, September 18, 2009

Steamed Ahi Sliders




I was literally staring at this perfectly square piece of fresh sushi grade ahi tuna from the fish vendor at Dry Dock Fish from my farmer's market. I mean literally. And it was staring back at me. I think the tuna and I were having a staring contest. It was calling my name and tempting me to buy it. The beautiful looking half pound piece of tuna. I caved and brought it home. I suck at that game! Even pieces of fish beat me. Dang it! That day, I decided to make some light healthy sliders with these. Though, these aren't my famed ahi burgers. I'll be making those another time. I still had my steamer out from earlier in the week. So I decided on steaming rather than baked, broiled or pan-fried.

I lightly chopped the tuna and mixed in to shallots, garlic and fresh ginger. Of course a tiny seasoning of pepper. Placed it on a cake pan and drizzled some soy sauce right before steaming. Some of the juices of the fish mixed with the soy sauce giving it a a nice 'au jus' that I drizzled over the patty right before serving. It'll soak into the bread making the taste even better. Sprinkled a little bit of shredded cheese and spread some ginger mayo on the bread and I was good to go.

Simple snack/meal that was light and filling and tasted really really good and flavorful. I love tuna.

Makes 4 sliders





Steamed Ahi Sliders

1/2 lb ahi tuna fillet - sushi grade
1/2 small shallot - finely chopped
1 large garlic clove - finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger - finely chopped
2 Tbsp soy sauce
pinch of pepper


You choice of bread
shredded cheese (optional)

For my ginger-mayo recipe go here


Carefully mince the ahi tuna with you knife.

Mix in the shallot, garlic, ginger and season with a pinch of pepper.

Prepare your steamer. And heat you choice of bread.

Form into patties and place in an aluminum foil-formed bowl or pie tin or steamer safe dish.  Drizzle the soy sauce evenly among the patties.

Steam for roughly 3-4min. Some of the juices from the fish will seep through, drizzle that over the patty and let it soak into the bread. Put some shredded cheese on top before serving, which is optional.


28 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

What a most healthy delicious snack, ginger mayo sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

Food talks to me too lol

Heather S-G said...

I could definitley go for a few of these...that ginger mayo does sound out of this world with these, too!!! Yummy meal :D

nora@ffr said...

always love ye food photography :) this snack is sooo great! can make ginger mayo at home also right?? havnt tried but usually buy the commercially available ones. not bad though :)

Unknown said...

Well, at least if you had to lose a staring contest, you got something great out of it in the end! Looks delish!

Anonymous said...

I would love these for my lunch today, these sliders would be perfect with ginger mayo!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I'm glad the tuna won! ;) The sliders look fabulous!

Pam said...

My ahi loving sister would really, really dig these sandwiches. Mmmm.

Parita said...

Hmm thats healthy and delicious!

Bob said...

Sounds great, I really need to try ahi tuna.

Reeni said...

These sound delicious! Especially with that mayo. YUM!!

Sippity Sup said...

I hear what you hear and it's saying. "I am delicious"! GREG

Esi said...

I love tuna too, these sound delicious.

Justin said...

this is giving me some dinner ideas

Jenn said...

Donna: It is.

HH: LOL.

Girlichef: Yeah, it's really tasty.

Nora: Thanks.

ValleyWriter: True.

5 Star, Parita, Reeni: yes.

Andrea: I'm glad the tuna won, too.

Pam: I'm sure she'd love these, too.

Bob: You should. It's really great. Just make sure you get the sushi grade kind.

Greg: that's what it was say!!!

Esi: Thanks.

Justin: Woohoo...

teresa said...

what cute little burgers, they look fantastic! i always lose at the food games too lol!

pigpigscorner said...

This sounds really healthy and delicious! A great way to enjoy the ahi!

Diana said...

Shallots, garlic and fresh ginger are like a trifecta of deliciousness! Suddenly my tuna salad from Joan's on Third doesn't seem nearly as exciting as it did before reading your post!

Phyllis said...

oh yummy! You are so lucky to have access to sushi grade ahi tuna!!

Jenn said...

Teresa: Thanks.

pigpigscorner: Definitely.

Diana: hehe...

Phyllis: I'm happy about that.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Looks delicious! I wish I could get sushi grade tuna around here, but haven't been able to so far. Yours looks amazing, though!

theUngourmet said...

You have such a way with fish! Since my husband is a brat and doesn't really like it much (except for seared tuna) I don't get much practice.

This looks so tasty, especially with your great zippy mayo!

Jenn said...

Jen: Thanks.

Ungourmet: Maybe you should try to convince him to give it a try.

Michelle @ A Shade of Gray said...

Sounds delicious and the ginger mayo seems perfect for the ahi! How great to have such a fresh source for fish!

Muneeba said...

Fresh ahi tuna is too beautiful ... the fishmongers purposely put it right up front to lure the customers in! Great job with these sliders - the ginger mayo has got all of us hooked!

EricRiveraCooks said...

I am a huge fan of the slider revolution! Great job Jenn!

Jenn said...

Michelle: Yeah, I've got a couple other place where I get my fish , but so far I've been happy with this place at my farmer's market.

Muneeba: Yeah. That's why it called to me. it was out in front.

Eric: Thanks.

Jenn said...

Hummingbird: ;-D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger