Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mini Chayote Quiche Cups


I had the idea to making a frittata with the extra chayote I had in the fridge. That's when I notice the wonton wrapper I needed to use up as they were about to expire in a few days. I had to use them up. I turned them into little cups using a mini-muffin pan I had. They're pretty useful for quite a lot of recipes that require an appetizer.

I had lightly prebaked the wonton cups in the oven to help set their shape first. Then I chopped up some chayote and mixed them with some chopped green onions and a couple of beaten eggs. Baked it in the oven until they were fully cooked.

Another delicious little appetizer.

Makes 12 mini cups.



Mini Chayote Quiche Cups

12 wonton
1 chayote - peeled and chopped into bits
2 green onions - chopped
salt
pepper
2 eggs - beaten

Note 1: you will need a mini muffin pan or something round with a 1-inch diameter.

Note 2: To avoid getting the sticky reside of the chayote on you hand, wear a rubber glove or plastic produce bag, then rise with some cold water before cutting into pieces.


Preheat your oven to 350˚F

Lightly grease the mini-muffin pan and carefully place the wonton wrappers inside the molds.

Fold and lightly crease the wonton wrappers to the edges. Baked in the oven for 2 minutes for let the wrappers harden.

Then remove from the oven and let it cool.

In a bowl, mix together the egg, chayote, green onion and season with a little salt and pepper.

Divide the mixture among the 12 wonton cups.

Bake in the oven for 20-min. Serve warm.

35 comments:

Nithya said...

They look so cute and yummy :)

Do take a look at my blog for an event announcement. Your participation would make us feel happy. :)

Unknown said...

I cant say i know what a chayote is, but I do love quice This makes for an adoreable presentation

Debbie said...

What a great idea and they look delicious. Perfect for an appetizer!

Heather S-G said...

They're adorable little bites...I'd love a few for breakfast!

Christo Gonzales said...

I love your never ending carousel of ideas....

Talita said...

How beautiful, Jenn! Looks really yummy!

Anonymous said...

Very creative! Those cups look so cute and yummy!

Parita said...

These looks so cute :) perfect as appetizers!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

These look delicious! I bought chayote at the farmer's market a few months ago, but didn't really know what to do with it. Next time, I will give these a try!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What wonderful morsels. They look delicious.

Pam said...

Perfect bite sized goodies. They look pretty and tasty.

Dewi said...

These are so cute jenn. I am sure they taste super!

theUngourmet said...

These do make very pretty appetizers! Love the color!

Jenn said...

Nithya, debbie, girlichef, doggy, Talita, 5 Star, Talita, Parita, Mary, Pam, Elra, Ungourmet: Thanks.

HH: ;-D

Jen: Hehe...This is one veggie that is a bit hard to deal with in terms of what to make with it.

Diana said...

Those are unbearably cute! I love quiche -- I've been sort of obsessed with ordering it recently!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Beautiful appetizers!

Marta said...

This looks like a great switch-up on your old classic. Quick and easy dish, I can almost picture them as finger foods at a cocktail party!

raquel said...

Awesome! Such creativity! I'm bookmarking!!!!

Reeni said...

Here is the chayote again - I really have to try it. These look so yummy!!

Jenn said...

Diana: Quiche are totally tasty.

Andrea: Thanks.

Marta: These are definitely perfect as finger foods.

Raquel: ;-D

Reeni: I love the stuff.

lisaiscooking said...

I love it! Great idea to use wonton wrappers.

Simply Life said...

Oooh those look great - nice pictures of them!

Tangled Noodle said...

Great idea! A chayote frittata sounds great on its own but turned into these cups, it's even better. I love how you shaped the wrappers - they look like origami flowers! 8-)

Miranda said...

Very creative and yummy. It looks amazing. Your pic look fab as always....
I need to learn how to take pics like that.

Sippity Sup said...

Very creative yet again... GREG

Sippity Sup said...

Very creative yet again... GREG

Laura said...

oh yummy these look so good!

Jenn said...

Lisa, Simply Life, Miranda, Greg, Laura: Thanks.

Tangled: That's a good comparison with the origami.

Teanna said...

AWESOME appetizer! Can I ask, how long do those cups hold up before they get soft/soggy? Can they be baked in advance and then filled? (Obviously not with this filling, but with something else that doesn't need to be baked)

pigpigscorner said...

aww they look so cute! THis is a great idea!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Hmmmm I'm not sure if I have chayote before....sounds good though:)

Jenn said...

Teanna: Definitely! You can bake them the day before. They stay firm.

Pigpigscorner: Thanks.

Nutmeg: Give em' a try.

Anonymous said...

looks yummy!

Justin said...

this is interesting. i've only cooked chayote once, and it was in a southern-style casserole, very different from this.

Jenn said...

Hummingbird: Thanks.

Justin: Give this a try. It's really good.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger