Search Bread + Butter

Monday, September 28, 2009

Tuna Corn Casserole



No that isn't a dish full of broken tortilla chips. Actually, those are crushed taco shells. But hiding underneath is where you'll find a creamy delicious treasure I like to call a tuna corn casserole. I happened to be taking stock of what I had in the cupboards and shelves of the pantry and happened to see a couple cans of tuna left. What can I do with tuna that I haven't already done yet?

I don't think I made a casserole with them yet. If I did, it was something different. I can't remember. I had some ears of corn I had gotten from the farmer's market so I figured I'd add that into the mix as well. To top it off I'd make a lovely cheese sauce to mix into it. Yum! I oven roasted the corn and scrapped off the kernels. You can used the canned or frozen corn to save you time. Mixed it with the can of tuna and some chopped shallots.

For the cheese sauce, I used a combination of grated parmesan and some swiss. Cheesy deliciousness. Mixed it all together and topped it of with a layer of crushed taco shells.  Baked it in the oven for 20 minutes. The crushed taco shells got extra crispy while baking giving the dish a nice cunchy texture to the lovely creamy and cheesy sauce.  This is one casserole I'd make again and again.


Serves 2-3






Tuna Corn Casserole

1 6oz can tuna in oil
2-3 c corn kernals - fresh, canned or frozen
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
3/4 c milk
1/2 grated parmesan
1/2 c swiss
salt
pepper
1 shallot chopped
Crushed tortilla chips


Preheat your oven to 350˚F

In a casserole, combine the corn, shallot, and tuna.

On medium to low heat. In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour. Combine together to make a roux. When the mixture turns into a douy mass.

Add the milk.  Stir occasionally until milk thickens. Then add the cheese and stir until melted.

Pour the cheese mixture, into the casserole and mix to coat everything. Top With half the crushed tortilla ships and baked for 20 min.

Remove from pven and let it sit for 2 min. Top with the rest of the tortilla chips.


22 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Nice!! I bet the corn really rounds out the flavor of a tuna casserole...and that crispness on top. I will remember this next time I make tuna casserole. :)

Anonymous said...

The crushed taco shells sound wonderful as a crunchy topping for a delicious cheesy tuna casserole! Corn is definitely a great addition!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Casseroles are such comfort food... I love the mixture of textures and flavors in this dish...

Unknown said...

What a smart idea, the taco shells on top :)

Nithya said...

Looks creamy and tempting. :) yummmmmmmm

Parita said...

i enjoy one meal dishes, love the crispy taco shells on the top!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Love this twist on tuna casserole! The crunchy taco shell topping sounds great.

teresa said...

ooooh, i love tuna casserole, this looks like a great twist!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

I've never tried tuna in a casserole-must taste great!!Loved the tortilla chips for the topping

Justin said...

i love dishes like this with a variety of textures. great kid food too.

Pam said...

I haven't had tuna casserole since I was a kid. This looks so hearty and comforting.

Mary Bergfeld said...

There are some wonderful textures in this dish. I know my grandsons would love this. The crumbly taco shells and corn add not only flvor but crunch. I like that. Have a great day

Jenn said...

Girlichef: It is.

5 Star, HH, Nithya, Parita, Jen, Teresa: Thanks.

Andrea: Me, too.

Sweta: Give it try.

Justin: Definitely kid friendly.

Pam: Thanks.

Mary:Your grandsons would definitely love this.

Bob said...

That looks wicked good. I love casserole but I don't think I've had one covered with taco shells before. I'm going to have to try it!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Yummy:) When I was in high school we used to boil up egg noodles add tuna and then a can of cream of mushroom. It was a quick version of tuna casserole. Not gourmet but delicious:)

alecho said...

niiiiice! I've never made casserole before... hmmm... maybe I should give it a try! good post!

lisaiscooking said...

This sounds so much better than the tuna casseroles I remember growing up! Sounds great with corn too.

Teanna said...

This may be the most awesome raiding of the pantry I have ever seen! Awesome awesome awesome!

Jenn said...

Bob: It gives a nice crunchiness to it.

Nutmeg: yeah. I make time like that sometimes, too.

Alecho, Lisa: Thanks.

Teanna: hehe...thanks.

Reeni said...

This sounds delicious! Comfort food. I like the crunchy top with the creamy insides.

katey said...

Yum! Sounds good, I want to try this!

Jenn said...

Reeni: It adds another texture to the mix.

Katey: You should!!! It super good!! ;-D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger