Search Bread + Butter

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Creamy Kabocha Soup


So Foodbuzz is having their first even food blogger awards. Click here to get your nominations in.  I did.

Anyway, I told you I was ready for the fall. I've made myself a lovely fall soup to prove it. Creamy kabocha soup. Or squash or pumpkin soup, if you'd like to call it that.

I made this one is completely vegetarian, but you may substitute chicken broth for the vegetable broth, if you'd prefer. I love the orangey-yellow color of it. Screams autumn, don't you think? I finally figured that I could use my blender to puree stuff. Why did it take me this long to figure it out? I don't know, but I'm glad that I did, so this means more lucious creamy soups to come. But I still would love an emersion blender. I used to have one, but I don't know what has happened to it since. I think I've mentioned before that I hate watery soups except if there's tons of bits and chunks in it.

This soup isn't overly thick and just right to coat the spoon with every slurp.

Garnished it with a little fresh dill and i was ready to go. The weather was perfect for this lovely soup. The evening have been cool, just the way I like it. I had this with a side of baked zucchini sticks.


Serves 2




Creamy Kabocha Soup

1 small to medium kabocha
1/2 medium onion - chopped
2 garlic cloves - chopped
1 12 oz can vegetable or chicken stock
1 small can evaporated milk
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper

Note: use a blender, food processor or emersion blender to puree the mixture.

Cut the kabocha into chunks and heat in the microwave for 3-5 minutes. Then scoop out the flesh and mash them. Discard the skins.

Saute the garlic and onions in a olive oil for 2 minutes until the onions are a bit translucent. Add the mashed kabocha, then the vegetable stock. Bring the soup to a simmer, stirring occasionally.

Add the evaporated milk and stir to combine.

Then puree the mixture using a blender, food processor or an emersion blender.

If you don't have any of those, you can leave it as a chunky soup. Serve warm.

 
 

30 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

as much as I love the flavor of this, I must admit I'm loving the color more. LOL

Unknown said...

Im not sure what kabocha is exactly, but I know that in Punjabi it means mellon. Looks pretty.

Nithya said...

Soup looks absolutely delightful. Wish I could have a cup right away.

lisaiscooking said...

Delicious soup! And, sounds great with zucchini sticks.

Phyllis said...

YAY fall! My favorite season. Thanks for getting it started with this gorgeous kabocha soup :)

Jenn said...

Dawn: It's very eye catch, right?

HH: It's a pumpkin squash. ;-D

Nithya: This is really easy to make.

Lisa: It was delicious.

Heather S-G said...

Hooray fall!!! This looks awesome...and I wish I had a bowl to cozy up with right now!

Diana said...

I'd never think to put squash and dill together, but I bet it is scrumptious! Makes me excited for "cold" weather! :)

chow and chatter said...

yummy creamy soup, foodbuzz is such fun

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I almost picked up a kabocha earlier at the store (I have never bought one), but then I wasn't sure what to make with it... See, there was a reason why the kabocha called my name. I'll just have to go back and get one! :)

Jenn said...

girlichef: I wish I had some, too.

Diana: it's pretty good and comforting.

CC: Yes, they are.

Andrea: Now you know you should. lol.

teresa said...

beautiful, it looks so velvety and delicious!

Christo Gonzales said...

winky wink...nominations in...

this soup looks so what I want right now....

Reeni said...

I love squash soup - this looks creamy and really delicious!! I haven't had kabocha yet though!

The Duo Dishes said...

The second picture is awesome. You really captured a great looking soup. Looks super creamy.

Jenn said...

Teresa, Duo: Thanks.

doggy: ;-D

Reeni: you can use any squash or pumpkin, if you can find kabocha.

Paula - bell'alimento said...

Jenn this looks ah-mazing! Can't wait to start whipping up soups!

Diana H said...

Ohh, that looks good. This should put you in the mood for the pumpkin festival.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Looks beautiful... I love the color of the soup, and I"m sure it's delicious. Thanks for the reminder on the Foodbuzz nominations.

Jenn said...

Paula: Thanks.

Diana: Indeed.

Jen: No problem.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This soup is soooooo Fallish:)

Anonymous said...

AH! So this is the one you tweeted about! It look gorgeous and oh-so-creamy! Nice use of the evaporated milk! Yum!

Southern Grace Gourmet said...

Someone just emailed me about these wonderful squash, I have got to find these, your soup looks amazing! What a wonderful fall dish. I love soup in the fall even though its so hot here in Florida!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your soup has such a glorious color. Kabocha is finally available here and I can't wait to try this. I'm curious to see how it differs in flavor from other winter squash.

Jenn said...

Nutmeg: Yes, it does.

burpandslurp, Southern: Thanks.

Mary: It tastes like a pumpkin.

pigpigscorner said...

Looks so creamy..yum! Love kabocha!

Jenn said...

pigpigscorner: Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I need to get a kabocha and make this wonderful creamy soup, so perfect for fall!

Jenn said...

5 Star: This is the perfect fall soup.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I have never had a kobacha squash. I LOVE all winter squashes though, so I'd imagine this would be right up my alley. I'll have to pick one up soon and make some delicious soup!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger