Search Bread + Butter

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Easy Peasy Guacamole


Here's my little recipe for an easy peasy guacamole. Perfect for the upcoming labor day grillin' and chillin'. Which means summer is nearly gone and fall is just around the corner. But being in California, summer tends to overstay it's welcome by a few weeks. I'm seriously ready for some sweater weather. 

This old fashioned dip is relatively simple. Avocados, onion, cilantro, tomato, garlic, salt and pepper, lemon juice. You can substitute the cilantro for parsley for you non-cilantro lovers. Blend everything together and...viola...instant dip. See, it wasn't that hard to make. So step away from that store jar of guac and try making this for yourself. You'll be happy that you made your own. You can add jalapeƱos or any pepper, if you want to add some heat, too.

I served this with some baked pita chips that I made from using regular wheat pita bread that I toasted in the oven in 275˚F oven for 5 min.

Makes roughly 1 1/2 cups.



Easy Peasy Guacamole

1 ripe medium avocado - skinned and pitted
1/2 medium sweet onion - fine chopped
1/3 c fresh cilantro or parsley - fine chopped
1 small tomato - deseeded and chopped
1 garlic clove
Juice of 1 lemon
salt
pepper

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend. Season with a little salt and pepper

If you don't have a food processor, finely chop the sweet onion, cilantro or parsley and garlic until they are nearly minced.

In a bowl, mash the avocado and add the sweet onion, cilantro or parsley and garlic. Mix well. Add in the lemon juice and season with a little salt and pepper.

Note: the lemon juice will help the avocado from turning brown. 

19 comments:

Cucinista said...

Love avocados no matter what form, but guacamole is the best: you can eat it by the spoonful! Like the crisp whole wheat pita chips too.

chow and chatter said...

wow love it just like mine lol cumin is also good in it have a great holiday weekend

Nithya said...

Wow.. looks yummy.. nice clicks :)

Mardi Michels said...

Perfect - it's the fresh cilantro that makes it, I think! Happy Labor Day weekend!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to make guacamole!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

This reminds me that I have to make some guacamole again...

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks great. I have a recipe for guacamole that I'm posting next week. I like yours very much.

theUngourmet said...

The perfect snack!

Unknown said...

I love guacamole, pass the chips daaahling!
Hope you have a fantastic weekend!!!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I like guacamole pero mas gusto ko ang salsa..

Heather S-G said...

Love guac!! :D Makes me want some actually...

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

this is pretty much the same way I make mine, except I use lime and mash it (I don't like it too smooth). I think i could live on guac though, really.

Anonymous said...

Without revealing too much, I shall be making guacamole on Monday! :D

Anonymous said...

This made my stomach rumble! I adore guacamole. It is probably my favorite dip/snack food/total addiction! I make it a lot here in Japan because it seems to be the closest I can get to Mexican cuisine in the land of the rising sun. Great post! Thanks for sharing! --Rachael (http://tokyoterrace.wordpress.com)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Oh how I love all things avocado. Your guacamole looks fantastic! Now I'm wishing I had some avocados to go make some for myself. I might have to run to the store. :)

Reeni said...

I just bought four avocados! Perfect timing! This is the best!

Diana H said...

I love an easy guacamole dip.

Parita said...

love the color, looks so inviting and refreshing and very easy to prepare as well!

test it comm said...

Making your own guacamole is surprisingly easy and always good!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger