Search Bread + Butter

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Baked Panko-Dill Crusted Cod


My farmer's market fish pick this week was cod.  My first intent was to make fish and chips with it, but I had a really heavy meal the day before and deep-frying wasn't something that appealed to me at the time. Besides, I'm trying to avoid deep-frying remember? With an exception to tempura and maybe a few other choice dishes. So I opted for a baked cod. A panko and dill crusted baked cod.

I had gotten a nice long fillet that I cut to fit for two. Gently removed the meaty portion from the skin and simply prepared it. If you can get cod fillets already skinned, go right ahead. Lightly coating with some extra virgin olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper. I had some fresh dill in the fridge and finely chopped about 1-2 tablespoons that I mixed with the panko crumbs and liberally coated that mixture all around the fillets. Baked it for 15 minutes in the oven then placed it into the broiler for a few minutes to give the top an even browning. The end result was a nice tender fish that nearly falls apart in your mouth within the first bite. 

I served this with some sautéed string beans, tomato and squash that I had taken home from a baby shower that I attended the day before. (ie. the heavy meal and traditional "take home" leftovers.)

Serves 2



Baked Panko-Dill Crusted Cod

2 cod fillets
1 c panko crumbs
1 Tbsp fresh dill - removed from thick stems and chopped
Extra Virgin Olive oil
Salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 425˚F

On a platter, mix together the panko and chopped dill. Set aside.

Lightly coat the fillets with some olive oil and season both sides with some salt and pepper, then liberally coat the fillets with the panko and dill mixture.

Place on a foil lines baking sheet or on a baking dish.

Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then turn on the broiler and transfer the baking sheet to give the top a browning. Do not leave more than 5 min.

36 comments:

Unknown said...

This fish looks it has a lovely and crunch exterior :D

Jamie said...

Oh, Jenn I have a sack of panko and had no idea what to do with it, and here it is! Baked fish is perfect and then with that great crust it's even better. And I never know how to make fish, either. Lovely. What a great meal!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of panko and dill crust, delicious cod!

Heather S-G said...

Great idea with the dill...this sounds delicious. Though, I don't think I could resist fish 'n chips for anything ;)

tavolini said...

Yum! I like the addition of dill to this! Looks nice and crisp.

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love this recipe and I love that its topped over ginisang sitaw at kalabasa..=)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

This sounds tasty - love the panko and dill crust on the cod.

Thistlemoon said...

This looks really great! I love cpd prepared in a way that gives it some flavor! This is a great way!

Diana said...

I love panko-crusted tilapia with lemon/caper sauce, so I'm sure I would love this too! I've never worked with cod before, but I always like it when I order it in a restaurant.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I'm not a big fan of cod, but I do love panko breading. It just makes everything so delicious!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Panko, dill and cod were made for each other. I love your recipe and can almost taste the crunch of the finished dish. Yum.

Bob said...

Looks great. Cod is one the list of fish I need to retry. It's all over the place here in Boston.

OysterCulture said...

yum, love this idea!

Jenn said...

HH, 5 Star, TavoLini, Jen: Thanks.

Jamie: I love panko. I don't think I can use anything else.

Girlichef: I'll make fish'n'chips. I promise.

Peachkins: Yes!

Jenn: I agree. Sometimes fish can be a bit bland. This just has enough flavor to it.

Diana: I like to order cod also when it's on the menu.

Nutmeg: You gotta give it a try.

Mary: There's a good balance o crunch in this.

Bob: It's a good thing you live ina place where you can get it fresh.

Oyster: ;-D

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

What a lovely dish! I wish my "regular" Farmers' Market sold fish... I think I would pick some up more often...

Erica said...

Cod fish is a popular fish all over Colombia....We use it in stews...yours looks and sounds crunchy and fantastic!

teresa said...

mmmm, this sounds so delicious, i do love me some fish!

Parita said...

That looks like a delicious feast!

Cucinista said...

Yum! Great looking recipe.

Esi said...

I'm such a wimp so I try to buy fish pre-skinned, but this looks simple and so good.

Apples and Butter said...

Looks delicious. I love almost all kinds of white fish and when you get it to that wonderful flaky stage where the meat just falls apart in your moth - so wonderful!

Cookin' Canuck said...

I love the crispiness of panko. It really does add some special compared with regular breadcrumbs. Looks great!

Debbie said...

Looks great! I love seafood and have some panko bread crumbs I need to use. Your crock pot chicken soup looks terrific too!

Jenn said...

Andrea: I'm sure your local fish monger would have some too.

Erica: Stews = Yum!

Teresa, Partia: Cucnista, Apple and butter, debbie: Thanks.

Esi: Pre-skinned is fine, too. Makes it easier to cook without the extra work.

cookin' canuck: i agree

Anonymous said...

That looks so good. Dill plus fish always seems to go together.

Dewi said...

That look really good jenn! It nicely presented too.

Krissy @ The Food Addicts said...

I love the taste of dill! Cod is always a good fish, and the ingredients you used made it great!

theUngourmet said...

Oh my gosh, that crusts looks and sounds wonderful! What a nice fresh meal!

Sarah Alaoui said...

This looks awesome Jenn. I ran out of panko b/c I used it all up for the eggplant patties. gotta go buy more.

this would work well with sole too yum.

nora@ffr said...

panko and crusted code!! yummm! love the idea with dill jenn!

Jenn said...

Hummingbird: They do go well together.

Elra Krissy, ungourmet: Thanks.

Sarah: This would work really well with sole.

Nora 8-D

lisaiscooking said...

I love cod, and the dill in the crust sounds great!

Jenn said...

Lisa: Thanks.

Reeni said...

This looks delicious with the crispy panko and the sweet dill. Light and yummy.

Jenn said...

reeni: yes, indeed.

www.salamanca-3d.com said...

Pretty effective data, thank you for this post.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger