Search Bread + Butter

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cream of Broccorn soup



What is broccorn, you ask? Why it's non other than broccoli and corn. I felt soup was in order for an easy meal. It was hot that day, too. But if I want soup, I'm going to have soup, gosh darn it! Even though the weather may say otherwise. I'm meditating on fall right now. Chanting a mantra and spreading the fall vibe.

The last time I had such a soup was at Whole Foods from their prepared foods area. It was alright and I thought to myself maybe I can do better. This is a really easy and simple to make. Just remember to blow on it, if it's super hot. I got a little excited and I burnt my tongue upon first spoonful. Oh, how I've put my tastebuds through so much and yet, they've managed to recover every single time. But this soup is worth a slightly numbed tongue.

You may use chicken broth, if you'd prefer. I used vegetable broth for this soup. Add a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheese with some crackers or bread on the side. Yum yum!

Serves 2-3




Cream of Broccorn Soup

1 head of broccoli - fresh or 1 small frozen pack
2 c corn kernels - fresh, canned or frozen
1 12 oz can vegetable broth
1 large garlic clove
1/2 medium onion - chopped
3/4 c evaporated milk
salt
pepper

sour cream - optionals
shredded cheese - optional

Finely chop the broccoli into piece.

Saute the garlic and onion in a tiny drizzle of olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add in the vegetable stock, then the broccoli. Cover and bring the broth to a simmer on a medium heat. This will cook the broccoli.

Stir in the evaporated milk.

Using a blender, food processor or emersion blender and puree the broccoli.

Add in the corn and let it simmer for 5 more minutes on medium to low heat.

If you don't have a blender, food processor, or emersion blender, you can leave it as a chunky soup.

Add a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle some cheese. Serve warm.


28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love soups on any day, warm or cold.

Debbie said...

I think your soup is a wonderful idea and it looks delicious. It's been very warm here in Virginia too. It's supposed to cool down finally tomorrow, hopefully! (Love your swordfish too!).

zerrin said...

It's been getting cold in Turkey these days, so soup is a perfect idea for me. And broccoli soup is one of my favorite. I love to see those small green pieces in the soup. But I've never tried it with corn.So I must give this broccorn soup a try. Thanks.

vanillasugarblog said...

that's exactly how I come up with some of my recipes: I get something somewhere and say I bet I can do this better.
And you did!!

Sippity Sup said...

Wonderful flavors in that soup. I hope your tongue recovers quickly... GREG

Reeni said...

You come up with the greatest names. You had me quessing. How very tasty and creamy this looks. Love the unique combo.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love soup
I love broccoli
I love corn
I'm starting to love fall... :o)
This sounds perfect!

Parita said...

Loved your broccorn soup :)

The Duo Dishes said...

Love the name of it. Can it and send it to Campbell's!

Anonymous said...

Haha, that name is just too cute! I don't think I will ever have it cold though...I've just got the firm opinion that soup ought to be HOT!

Thistlemoon said...

This soup sounds SOOO good!!! I love it!

Phyllis said...

Broccorn - hilarious name and the soup sounds delicious but I'm actually eyeing that piece of bread in the photo!

Diana said...

Wow! I would never think to put broc and corn together, but they are two of my fave veggies so I bet I'd be all over this soup! Sounds wonderful for our upcoming fall days! :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really looks delicious and it's easy to do besides. Thanks. Have a great day.

Heather S-G said...

MMMMM!! I bet this is one the kids would adore, too! Sounds delish :)

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love Broccoli and soups so this probably taste really really good!

Anonymous said...

Love the name broccorn! The soup sounds very nice and warming!

Jenn said...

Hummingbird: Same here.

Debbie: Thanks.

Zerrin: Give it a try. It's really good.

Dawn: I did do it! hehe...

Greg: It has.

Reeni: I love kooky names for dishes. hehe...

Andrea: I love fall!!

Parita: Thanks!

Duo: I should, shouldn't I?

burpandslurp: Some soups can be served cooled, too.

Jenn: Thanks.

Phyllis: lol.

Diana: Yes, indeed.

Mary: Thanks. Hope you had a great day, too.

Girlichef: This is a great way to get kids to like veggies.

Peachkins: It is.

5 star: Thanks,

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I like the combination of corn and broccoli...yum!

Jenn said...

Nutmeg: Thanks.

lisaiscooking said...

That sounds like a great combo. Definitely have to try this.

Jenn said...

Lisa: Yes, it's a must try.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Delicious soup... Great idea to combine broccoli and corn. Sounds like a perfect fall soup.

teresa said...

this sounds so comforting and looks so creamy, perfect to get fall on it's way!

Jenn said...

Jen, Teresa: Thanks.

OysterCulture said...

We had some incredible yummy soups in Ireland and this one certainly reminds me of them - I love broccoli and broccorn is sure to please

Jenn said...

Oyster: I'd love to travel to Ireland.

site said...

Thanks so much for the post, pretty helpful information.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger